Sign in to follow this  
psolk

Some monitor advice...

Hey guys,My Hanns G 28 inch died last night although it had been signs of going for a couple of weeks now... It started showing some "snow" or artifacts a couple of weeks ago. Best way to describe it is as noise that looked like flickering snow. I actually thought it was a driver issue and have been changing drivers chasing my tail until last night it finally went black upon boot. It would come back intermittently but is too unpredictable to use. So last night after trying the 28 on a GTX 285 and an 8800 GTX and then trying a different monitor on both cards I was able to verify the monitor was definitely the issue and not the cards or cables...So this morning like any good simmer I was at PC Richard at 9:58 waiting for them to open to grab a Samsung 23 inch that does 2048*1152 to hold me over. It happens to be a very nice monitor but after a 28 the 23 looks pretty small. So I am in the market and going to avoid Hanns G as this 28 only last 19 months. While it worked it was great but I wouldn't buy another. So my choices are a 27 inch Acer that does 2048*1152 or a Sony Bravia 32 inch LCD that does 1920*1080... I sort of like the idea of more size but am concerned about what 1920*1080 will look like on the 32. If it were up to you guys, which one would you go with?Thanks in advance!!!-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Paul,Sorry to hear about your Hanns-G....hope mine holds up. How far away from your monitor will you be positioned? If its going to be less then 40", I'd probably go with the Acer as it will look less pixelated.Regards,Bob

Check your Hanns-G warranty. My 25" has something like a 3 year or 5 year warranty (Can't remember which one it is).

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Check your Hanns-G warranty. My 25" has something like a 3 year or 5 year warranty (Can't remember which one it is).
Thanks Clutch,It has something like a 3 year limited warranty so I am going to call them tomorrow to see what if anything can be done. I will report back...In the interim I went with the 27 inch at 2048*1152 to hold me over ;)Thx again,-P

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Thanks Clutch,It has something like a 3 year limited warranty so I am going to call them tomorrow to see what if anything can be done. I will report back...In the interim I went with the 27 inch at 2048*1152 to hold me over ;)Thx again,-P
Hey Clutch,Just a quick update for you. Spoke to Hanns this morning and they informed me that most likely it is a panel issue. Although the Warranty is indeed 3 years, that is only for limited parts and the panel is not one of them. I asked what the repair would cost and he informed me ~ $195 plus tax and shipping if it is indeed the panel and they will only know that after it has been shipped back to their repair facility. I am going to send it back in the hope it is something other than the pane (ah the eternal optimist)l but if it is I will let them keep it as I would rather pay the $200 more for the Acer 27 at 2048*1152 than to put more money into a monitor that will has no warranty left and does not have a track record of holding up for me personally... I have actually never had any CRT, Plasma or LCD go bad on me in all my years and some of them are still going at 8-10 yrs old LOL. Last thing I want is to be in this situation in another 12 months. I just wanted to give you a real quick update.Thanks again!-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

LOL, the panel, the part of the monitor which displays the image, is not covered by their warranty? Wow. I was just about to buy another monitor and Hanns G's larger screens were on my list because of their price but now I'll be considering another brand.

LOL, the panel, the part of the monitor which displays the image, is not covered by their warranty? Wow. I was just about to buy another monitor and Hanns G's larger screens were on my list because of their price but now I'll be considering another brand.
Exactly why I went with the 27 inch Acer at a higher resolution and why I wanted to report back.. Cheers!-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Me too!

Frank L.T

Guest chris493

I made a compromise when I bought my 3 monitors. I got 3 23" samsungs @ 1920x1080 because they are an excellent monitor, they are a well known company and they have a 4 year warranty in Australia that covers everything. They come to your home and check it out if you have a problem. If they can't fix it there, they pay for the posting and packaging to and from your home. All repair costs are covered. They have an excellent service and would definitely recommend them!