Sign in to follow this  
JerryG

Full screen issues with FS2004

Guest Shawn McCaig

I was lucky enough to find a tin-box copy of FS2004 on the shelf at Office Depot in Tulsa today. After rushing home and installing it, I immediately had two problems crop up that I need help with if anyone knows the answers. First, the default screen resolution is 800X600, and when I go to change it to 1024X768, my entire screen goes black on the create a flight screen (except for a very nice picture of the selected aircraft, spinning in the center of the screen). After poking around in the dark areas, I was able to "accidently" hit the "Fly Now" button and began flying in 1024X768 mode. Everything looks great, but whenever I try to bring up the kneeboard, it only shows up for a second and then disappears when I take my finger off the F10 key (FYI, I also tried this in 800X600 mode and it works fine there). I am running FS2004 on an HP Pavilion P4 2.3GHz processor, WindowsXP Home edition, 512 Mb RAM, and am using a GeForce 4 MX440 64Mb PCI GPU. Any help or explanation anyone could give would be most appreciated.

yes my friend has the same problems, i saw on his computer, i think it is a graphics driver issue or could be a WinXP issue with all those XP patches.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Same here. And I got mine at office depot too, here in St. Louis.Anyway. Playing around a little bit I found that if I go into the nvidia properties and turn OFF antialiasing. When antialiasing is off the create flight window shows all, not only a pretty spinning plane.I cannot believe MS didnt test with nvidia cards, I have a GF4 ti400 and have tried several drivers from guru3d.com. I'm going to try backtrack driver to before FS2k4 went gold hopefully that'll fix it.Very sleepy now, must rest ;)

Same thing here with a GF4ti 4200 128 mb 44.03 driversBe sure to let us know if you find an older driver that fixes it. P4 1.4512 mb ramWin XP

I just went as far back as 43.45.If antialiasing is on it's broken. Also if I'm in fullscreen mode with AA off, I cant grab the plane and rotate it, but if I ALT-ENTER to windowed mode I can...Im on a 2kpro box, I saw one of you on XP...What version of directx you all have? I put 9.0b on today if you all are on 9.0b I'll bet we found our problem and I'll bet we'll all be quite ###### if MS doesn't fix it as we'll need to reinstall our OS's to revert back to 9.0 or 9.0a :-fumeUnless of course you created a restore point on your XP boxen. You did create a restore point didnt you? :-lol I'm out for good. way too tired to continue trouble shootin'idle

Guest Shawn McCaig

Just tried turning off AA here too and it works perfectly (except now it doesn't look near as nice-----I want my AA back :-)) Thanks for the tip, now we've just got to figure a way around this problem, cause I doubt MS will if they didn't bother to test NVidia cards in the first place.

Hi, I want to know where did you enabled the AA, inside fs2004 or from the external tweaker or your disaplay drivers setting?BTW there is no more reflection with GeForce 2 series and the GeForce 4 MX series, because they use only DirectX 7, fs2004 use DirectX 8.Fs2004 tips and trickshttp://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=9230ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

I have the GeForce 4 MX series graphics card, and download DirectX 9.0b. Will I get reflection in FS2004?

The latest leaked nVidia drivers from guru3d appears to fix the issue. The 45.20 work fine for me. The 44.90 caused a reboot when going full screen though. The ones just before that (44.sth, don't remember) fixed the problem too.If you don't want to use leaked drivers, I'm afraid disabling AA is the only solution...

> Thanks for the tip, now we've just got to figure a way>around this problem, cause I doubt MS will if they didn't>bother to test NVidia cards in the first place.They "tested" mine..........A Geforce3Ti500 & the driver is still 23.11. L.Adamson ----- Athlon1900XP/GeforceTi500/512DDRram

Chris -FIRST - thanks fro your HELP !!!Thanks to those in this thread who've found a workaround bydisabling AA. This seems to work !!!Check out my posts in this parallel thread at -http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=sho...25943&mode=fullI've been leaving my AA turned off completely within FS2004.I've --only-- been adjusting the AA values (2x, 4x, etc.)from the NVidia tweaker utility.Once, I made XP crash to the BSOD desktop by adjusting anisotropic values/AA values in a tweaker during a live FS2004 session - WOW - I've never done that with XP (many times with Win98 - never in XP).Now - with AA turned OFF in both FS2004 and from the Nvidia Media Center taskbar tweak utility (I guess any tweaker will do), I can"spin"/rotate the plane in the Create a Flight screen and the panels appear fine!Once flying, just use the tweaker again to enable AA to 2x/4x/4xS/etc. JerryG

Guest Milton

I have had these same issues with FS2002 and my MX card in XP. I see these as nothing new.In full screen, with AA on, loses bottom of panel and crazy splotchy colors on lower half. Turning off AA fixes it.No issues in window mode.Same reflections/chrome issue in 2002 with MX until you identify the card to FS.The must certainly be card/driver issues.

Guest Milton

I have had these same issues with FS2002 and my MX card in XP. I see these as nothing new.In full screen, with AA on, loses bottom of panel and crazy splotchy colors on lower half. Turning off AA fixes it.No issues in window mode.Same reflections/chrome issue in 2002 with MX until you identify the card to FS.These must certainly be card/driver issues.

JerryG, I have said that's before in my fs2004 tips and trick, do not use the Fs2004 antialaing built in, you can use a tweaker or in your driver display setting there is the AA and anasotropy, and you can chose the AA 2x, 4x, etc.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest Shawn McCaig

I've had the FS AA feature disabled all along, and have been changing my AA settings from within my video card settings utilities. After some experimentation, I have found the following - using AA values of 2x or quincunx gives me this problem, but using values of 4x or higher does not give me any problems, just a HUGE performance hit, which also explains why the default AA from within FS2004 gives such a hit...it probably defaults to a setting of 4x. Any other ideas? Has anyone else tried out the new leaked drivers yet? Thanks