Sign in to follow this  
JerryG

Full screen issues with FS2004

Hi MiltonFs2004 use the directx 8 and 9,the gforce2 and the Gforce4 MX use directX7, these both card do not support fs2004 correctly and may have trouble.And for the FX card:, you can get thse from http://www.guru3d.com/http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/25923.jpgThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

these both card do not support fs2004 correctly and may have trouble. Oh. I'm running FS2004 with Windows 98, 256MB of system RAM and an "old" GeForce 2 GTS 32MB video board and I've been pleasantly surprised on how well it runs and looks. I think I'm still using the 21.83 drivers too! :-lolI won't tell my machine that it's really not supposed to be supporting FS2004. hehehe :7Mike CKPHX

Installing the 44.67 drivers from guru3d.com fixed the aircraft select menu problem. Was running 44.03's. GF4ti 4200Turning off AA in the sim and the card utility resulted in huge performance gains and still looked pretty good.This was the only problem I've had with 04 so far. Now for the good news. After many hours of flying and little sleep I can honestly say that MS hit a home run with FS2004. Improvements have been made to every area.Things I've noted.Airfiles in the default planes I've flown have been greatly improved over previous version and feel nothing like the birds in 02. Huge improvemnt!All of the vintage planes are superb and all have outstanding sound packs. These will definately see some use. Overall the planes included are way beyond previous default offerings in flying qualities and visual models.Turbulence modeling is excellent and very different than 02.The new autogen is awesome and really gives the sim a whole new look.Clouds and lighting are incredible!Performance wise, if you can fs2002 you should have no problems running fs2004. It runs better and is more fluid on my system than 02 did!Congratulations and a hearty well done to the dev team as MS. You guys really outsid yourselves on this one.This aint no CFS3! lol

Guest cwra6

There are lots of problems with the full screen mode:1. Using a Radeon 9700 pro with the latest drivers, using "alt" to access the menus causes the the screen to flicker and jump three to five times - it gets pretty stomach churning. Good thing I'm not epileptic. These flickers could be seizure causing (not a joke).2. You can't undock windows in full screen and move to another monitor (where's the 'enhanced mult-monitor' stuff they put on their website?3. the program will often hang if you put sub panels on a multi-monitor in windowed mode, then try to switch back to full screen. Really disapointing. Colin Ware

Hi, "1. Using a Radeon 9700 pro with the latest drivers, using "alt" to access the menus causes the the screen to flicker and jump three to five times - it gets pretty stomach churning. Good thing I'm not epileptic. These flickers could be seizure causing (not a joke)."You have to wait their new drivers, it's not the first time I see this from ATI drivers department, they have problems with others games too.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Chris,We appreciate this help and the clip from the News section ofFS2004. I've read about the exact same Nvidia GeForceFXvideo driver issue. However, unless the 44.67 drivers from guru3d.com are differentfrom the 44.67 version that will be released as a WHQL fromNVidia on 7/31/03, I can tell you that the 44.67 will NOT,I repeat - NOT - resolve the blank 2D panels and blank panelsin VC in full-screen mode. Also, some people report successwith older drivers and some with the 45.20 BETA drivers.I'm using a GeForceFX 5200 128MB AGP card and WinXP.Of course there are many other FX cards out there - 5200 Ultra,5600, 5900, etc.My point, unless we can post our EXACT video card configurationand drivers, we're not really determining a complete resolution.For example, state your video card as -GeForceFX 5200 128MB AGP with 44.67 drivers.JerryG

Guest Ed_S

Thanks everybody with this one! I thought i was in trouble!!!!!Worked for me too!Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!Ed

A number of folks have now reported the following:FS2004 in full screen mode, Nvidia display card, 2xAA enabled, problems with pulldown menus (like trying to change aircraft, black screen with spinning airplane)I have tried various drivers, including the 45.20 betas which crash my system.. here are the two workarounds that seem to work.1. Alt-tab to the desktop, disable AA in the display properties, go back to FS2004, the menu screens now work. After selecting the aircraft etcgo back to desktop, re-enable 2xAA, back to FS2004 and fly!2. Less cumbersome: ALT-enter to get into windowed mode, the menus now work (!), make the selections, ALT-enter back to full screen and fly away!My system Win XP, P4 2.4, Asus P4PE board with 512 Meg PC2700 RAM.Ti4200 video card with 128 Meg, 43.51 drivers.If anyone has a better solution, please post!!

Bert

Jerry, with all respect, you referenced this for the 2d panel problem, which I do not have.. I merely tried to address the pull down menu problem which I do have..Either way, good to know that I am not alone with this!

Bert