Sign in to follow this  
j14g

AGP Card Replacement Needed

Hi,My video card failed . It's an ATI Radeon X850XT 256MP AGP and I need to find a replacement or a suitable alternative. I run WindowsXP and FS2004. My CPU is an Intel P4 3.0 Ghz 800 FSB on an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe motherboard. My View Sonic monitor has a maximum resolution of 1920x1440 @64 Hz, but I run it at 1600x1200 @77Hz.I've searched for a replacement but none seems available. Is there an alternative AGP card out there that would work as well ?Thanks,Jack

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102730I am currently using the Powercolor version. It is a great card but it does suffer from slow downs when going through clouds YRMV. Compared to my 6800 GT that it replaced I am getting about a third more FPS in FS9 with the new card. Jeremy

________________________________________________________________________________

i9 10800K | 16GB RAM | RTX 3080 | Windows 10 | 

Saitek x-45 | Bravo Throttle | Alpha Yoke | CH Pedals | Logitech Radio Panel | SmoothTrack | AAO

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102730I am currently using the Powercolor version. It is a great card but it does suffer from slow downs when going through clouds YRMV. Compared to my 6800 GT that it replaced I am getting about a third more FPS in FS9 with the new card. Jeremy
Thanks for your heads up. I think I'll go with it.Jack

When buying a replacement AGP graphics card you need to be aware of the fact that ATi no longer regularly supports these cards. You'll essentially be stuck using the driver that came on the CD for the entire time you own the card.

When buying a replacement AGP graphics card you need to be aware of the fact that ATi no longer regularly supports these cards. You'll essentially be stuck using the driver that came on the CD for the entire time you own the card.
Yeah, so I've been told. But what are the options short of a more costly upgrade ?

Actually that is not true. For each of the drivers, an AGP Hotfix has been released by AMD. Admittedly I have not tried to install one since 9.10 but they all worked very well. your driver disk will probably have a 8.xx version of the driver, at least mine did.

________________________________________________________________________________

i9 10800K | 16GB RAM | RTX 3080 | Windows 10 | 

Saitek x-45 | Bravo Throttle | Alpha Yoke | CH Pedals | Logitech Radio Panel | SmoothTrack | AAO

Actually that is not true. For each of the drivers, an AGP Hotfix has been released by AMD. Admittedly I have not tried to install one since 9.10 but they all worked very well. your driver disk will probably have a 8.xx version of the driver, at least mine did.
"For each of the drivers" This is untrue. ATi does not release an AGP hotfix driver more than once per quarter.Given the limited nature of this support, and the fact that AGP is a dead interface for which no one manufactures cards anymore, I generally recommend against upgrading AGP systems.

HIS and Powercolor also have a 4670, ddr3 1g agp variant.jimb

dual boot: win8.1pro64bit (primary) | win10pro64bit  | mobo: MSI Prestige x570 Creation | cpu and cooler:  AMD 5950X; Noctua NH-U12A | ram: 4each 8gb sticks of ddr4-3200 CORSAIR Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 | gpu:  nvidia RTX2070Super Founders Edition| lcd: LG 24" 4k, LG 24UD58-B

Hi,My video card failed . It's an ATI Radeon X850XT 256MP AGP and I need to find a replacement or a suitable alternative. I run WindowsXP and FS2004. My CPU is an Intel P4 3.0 Ghz 800 FSB on an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe motherboard. My View Sonic monitor has a maximum resolution of 1920x1440 @64 Hz, but I run it at 1600x1200 @77Hz.I've searched for a replacement but none seems available. Is there an alternative AGP card out there that would work as well ?Thanks,Jack
I have one of those cards!