Sign in to follow this  
Guest outtatimeiii

Help. CD-Drive won't recogonize CD's

I hope this is posted in the correct forum. I looked for the hardware forum and could not find it.I am expecting delivery of FS2004 on the 29th. The problem is, I have just established that neither CD drive on my computer will recognize disks. I have a traditional CD drive and a CD Burner. Both power up when a CD is inserted and will spin for a bit. The read light comes on. Then nothing. If I try to click on the drive through My Computer, I get the message saying please insert a disk in Drive whatever. I get the same error message when I right click on the drive and choose Open or Explore. I have tried several CD's. Both drives will actually open if I choose the eject function when right clicking on the drive letter. My guess is there is a software problem as the drives themselves are recognized. Any ideas out there? I have a fully up-to-date install of Windows ME. Any help would be appreciated. I really want to intall FS2004 next Tuesday.Tony

Hi,Go to control panel>system>device manager>cdrom and remove both cd drives. Reboot computer and let windows recognize the drives and reinstall the software. I have had this happen to me using WinME and by reinstalling the drives, this has fixed the problem.Ed

Guest MikeEppright

Ed's suggestion will probably help. I also had a similar problem with the CD on an older laptop that wouldn't read disk therefore making it impossible to reinstall some software. I was about to send the laptop to the big computer heaven when I decided to try a CD Drive cleaner. It worked great and has functioned good since.

Well, I tried the suggestion of removing the drives via System and rebooting. Windows found the driver and set them up, but they still do not recognize CD's. I may have to get a cleaner to try, but as both drives failed at the same time, I'm not sure thats the answer. I have also tried a complete virus scan with current definitions and a complete scan by an updated Ad-ware by lavasoft. Thanks for the replies so far.Tony

Guest ba747heavy

Tony,Do your CD drives share the same IDE cable? Perhaps the IDE cable is bad.Good luck,

Guest Ken_Salter

To elminitae the OS, you could make yourself a boot disk. I believe you can find them on the internet if you can't make one (since I think Win ME "eliminiated" DOS, but maybe you can make a startup disk honestly I don't know never used the OS).Anyway, you boot the floppy. It asks if you want CD Rom support. Say "yep" and let it boot. Then try to access them.If you can, it's the OS. If you can't, it's hardware.Good luck!http://saltydogfly2.avsim.net/images/avsim_sig.jpg"I am the keeper of the cheese; you are the lemon merchant"

Guest outtatimeiii

You can still make a WinMe boot disk (actually WinMe boot disk is the one I use to boot to DOS, since XP doesnt give a good DOS disk).In WinMe, go to Add/remove programs, then click on the (I think) System Recovery? tab (or the rightmost tab), and it will give you the option to create a floppy.ORGo to bootdisk.com and download a disk image. Either method works equally well :) .