Sign in to follow this  

Few C185F questions

After buying the C182RG just a week or two ago, I just HAD to get the C185F too... The addition of the GPS in the VC alone was reason enough for me to get it. :( I like NOT using ANY popup windows at all (nor any other views than the main VC one)! After my first flight I have to say the C185F looks good, although a bit dark. Everything is pretty hi-res, which is nice! I also like how you can open the manual in the VC during the flight. I have to add though that if the C182RG would have had the same GPS on the window in the VC as this plane, I doubt (knowing what I know now after my first flight) if I would have bought it... It's nice to have choices, but I usually stick to one plane... I also do miss the sounds I hear in the C182RG when you turn on the BAT and the ALT FUEL, but I suppose the silence in the C185F is realistic...?A few questions:1. One thing I liked a LOT about the C192RG was that all radio's could be turned off. I can't do this in the C185F... Switching the avionics switch is the only way to get the radio's off and on again. Using the knobs on the radio does nothing it all. Pity. Is this a small omission, bug or is this feature simply not implemented? I like to start with a cold and dark cockpit and having the radio's really off is just nice...2. Clicking the OFF/VOL button on the second radio switches between a little dash on the knob and no dash at all...! Think this is a little bug and that you should see a dash at VOL when it's on?All in all a nice plane on its own, but I am in doubt if it was the right purchase for me right now... Pity it wasn't released just a bit earlier, then I probably wouldn't have bought the C182RG... Ah, well, the planes weren't that costly, so... :(EDIT:3. The red needle on the EGT gauge stays centered all the time and doesn't move, so I have to lean 'on sound' mainly. Little bug...? Or isn't that the peal needle (or whatever you call that)?4. Would it be possible to edit that VC GPS into the C182RG...?!? :(

After buying the C182RG just a week or two ago, I just HAD to get the C185F too... The addition of the GPS in the VC alone was reason enough for me to get it. :( I like NOT using ANY popup windows at all (nor any other views than the main VC one)! After my first flight I have to say the C185F looks good, although a bit dark. Everything is pretty hi-res, which is nice! I also like how you can open the manual in the VC during the flight. I have to add though that if the C182RG would have had the same GPS on the window in the VC as this plane, I doubt (knowing what I know now after my first flight) if I would have bought it... It's nice to have choices, but I usually stick to one plane... I also do miss the sounds I hear in the C182RG when you turn on the BAT and the ALT FUEL, but I suppose the silence in the C185F is realistic...?A few questions:4. Would it be possible to edit that VC GPS into the C182RG...?!? :(
Maybe, maybe not on the VC. But, you can add a "full featured" GPS like a Garmin 530/430 combo into the 182RG radio stack and use them in place in the VC and/or have them popup with a simple click to the face of the unit and a click to return to the stack.Take a look at one of my C-182RG panels. I replaced everything in the panel and added newer VOR1 and 2 heads. I have a new audio panel, Garmin GNS530 with builtin Nav/Com1, A STec55x autopilot, a SA200 Altitude Pre-selector, A newer Transponder that is Vatsim ready, and a Garmin GNS430 with builtin Nav/Com2. This is a real pleasure to fly and if I feel like I want a retro flight, I simply call up the original panel. Kinda the best of both worlds. Takes a little work but, the Carenado 182 readily accepts the upgrade. Most of the click spots work without mods. :( Here's a comparison screenshot:C-182RGRadioStack.jpgRayM

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Thanks for the tip, but I already tried that (and posted the picture below on January 15th on this forum) :( . But I didn't like it: I like the retro panel too much and I would love to have that GPS as it is in the 185! But well, now I see it again (and now I know how to tidy up the panel itself and now I also made a mess of the 185 panel :( ) I might give it another try and remove the 2nd VOR gauge and the ash tray you see underneath the AP in the 182. :( Or I simply have to get used to the 185... Choices, choices...rrrx8i.jpgMy main problem is (and I should have thought of that before buying the 185) that I hardly ever switch planes, so one of these two has 'to go'. Well, not really, of course, but I already know now that one of them won't be used... The 185 doesn't look too good with the 2nd radio gone, but it just gives me too much bloom, which is awful...

Thanks for the tip, but I already tried that (and posted the picture below on January 15th on this forum) :( . But I didn't like it: I like the retro panel too much and I would love to have that GPS as it is in the 185! But well, now I see it again (and now I know how to tidy up the panel itself and now I also made a mess of the 185 panel :( ) I might give it another try and remove the 2nd VOR gauge and the ash tray you see underneath the AP in the 182. :( Or I simply have to get used to the 185... Choices, choices...rrrx8i.jpgMy main problem is (and I should have thought of that before buying the 185) that I hardly ever switch planes, so one of these two has 'to go'. Well, not really, of course, but I already know now that one of them won't be used... The 185 doesn't look too good with the 2nd radio gone, but it just gives me too much bloom, which is awful...
I didn't give up the retro panel, I just created an additional one with the newer avionics. Just a choice on which to load and fly. Just call out the correct Panel in the aircraft.cfg and name it something you understand in the Variation and you are up and running with a choice of either.RayM
I didn't give up the retro panel, I just created an additional one with the newer avionics. Just a choice on which to load and fly. Just call out the correct Panel in the aircraft.cfg and name it something you understand in the Variation and you are up and running with a choice of either.RayM
I don't have the 185F yet, but the GPS looks like either a Garmin 295 or 296. Both are freeware so knock yourself out.RayM

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I didn't give up the retro panel, I just created an additional one with the newer avionics. Just a choice on which to load and fly. Just call out the correct Panel in the aircraft.cfg and name it something you understand in the Variation and you are up and running with a choice of either.RayMI don't have the 185F yet, but the GPS looks like either a Garmin 295 or 296. Both are freeware so knock yourself out.RayM
I also had the old panel available, but I just don't like switching planes (or panels :( )... I like to pretend the one I am flying is my own real plane :( so I just don't switch planes...!It's not about the GPS itself (no problems there) but it's about how Carenado implemented it into the VC...!!! I really like that: you have the retro panel combined with the GPS, sucked to the window:2qs06ro.jpgAnd that's not something you can easily copy into another aircraft. AFAIK... :( But I would LOVE to see that in the 182! (BTW One other reason I like the 182 is the retractable gear... it gives you something more to do during take off and landing... B) )

I made an edit of the 185 panel: see this post. :( This edit stays closer to the original 185 (only the AP is replaced: the rest has only been moved around) as the edit I did for the 182 (where the GPS was added, the AP was replaced and I had to add an ugly GPS/NAV switch: the 185 has a better one by default).