Sign in to follow this  
Guest Desert Flyer

Couple Questions re FSX

Guest Desert Flyer

Hi,First I'd like to ask what keys is it that allows me to sort of raise my seat in the cockpit, in other words elevate my view while in the cockpit, so that I'm seeing less guages and more through the windscreen in VC?2nd, A good buddy of mine is flying the LEVEL-D 767, and loves it. However for me, a casual dabbler in FSX, that $55.00 price tag (more than the cost of the game needed to use it) is too steep, it's just out of my budget. Does anybody have any suggestions for a quality 767 that I can download either for free, or at a substantially reduced price that is a quality plane? I ask because my buddy is going to help me in learning to fly better and so it would be best if we are in the same type of plane so that he can tell me exactly where to look for certain things when I need to do them (we can't fly together all the time so sometimes we simply fly with voice between us through other programs etc). So I'm on the hunt for a nice looking, well layed out, good flying 767 so that we are in similar if not same type of plane.3rd (last question this time around). I've only recently re-installed FSX, on my Windows 7 computer and i have to say that performance is fantastic now, where before my computer struggled to maintain 15 to 20fps, I'm not getting 30 to 40 fps with the general settings to ultra high.However... There are some planes (and I think they are Microsoft commercial jets) that the VC looks absolutely horrid. Instead of knobs being round, they might appear as octagonal blobs. Instead of the texture of the dashboard being crisp and clean looking, it's all pixelated, even on ultra high settings. I have FSX Deluxe and Accelleration installed. I have not been prompted to download any patches for it, so I assume none exist. I've not been prompted to download any "high" texture packs, so I assume none exist. So, what the flippity flop is going on? I honestly don't remember seeing the VC's of any planes (MS or User created) ever looking as bad as some of them do at the moment in FSX, high settings or not. Any help to make the VC look the way they used to look on my Vista computer? Yes, I've got High textures turned on for virtual cockpit in the settings, it is check marked.Thanks,P.S. I'll see if I can load up FSX and get some screenshots so that you know just how horrid some of the planes VC can actually look, even on ultra high settings if need be. Also, thanks to the people that posted the fix to the menu crashes for the vista UIAutomationCore.dll fix. The game was crashing on me every 4th or 5th time that I tried to click on the alt menu, now it hasn't crashed once since adding the vista version of that file to the installation folder of FSX. I'm so relieved.As you might notice here (this is one of the better looking VC in a microsoft plane) the buttons are no longer smooth, there more like octagons instead of circles for the buttons, I for the life of me remember all the knobs in almost all planes that I used to fly on my vista computer having very smooth and realistic looking virtual cockpits (realistic for a game anyway) and now they look terrible on my Win 7 computer which has a better video card, more cpu power, substantially more ram etc. Any clues?Keep notice that the two images shown above are from one of the better looking VC in FSX, at least on this plane the textures on the dash are reasonably clean, in most VC's that I have been using the textures look like what happens when you take a jpg image and turn down it's optimization level to like 10% (with 100% being the highest resolution and clarity).My computerAMD Quadcore 2.8ghz I believeNvidia 275 GTX video card8GB system ram.

Shift-enter and shift-backspace moves you up and down.Re VC quality... maybe your new video card shows more detail?Also check anti-aliasing and filtering settings, with your card, you should beon 8XAA (or 8XS if using nHancer) and 16X AF for best visuals.

Bert

Guest scottmm73

For the 3-d cockpit, ensure High-Resolution 3-D Virtual Cockpit is checked in the Airplane settings tab.

Guest Desert Flyer

Thanks, yes that is already checked. I'm now messing around with nHancer following a guide that I found linked on this forum in hopes that it will increase the quality of the sims visuals. Either I get the quality up or I go try and see what Xplane looks like on my computer. On other peoples computers I've seen it can look excellent but who knows until it's tried on your own computer.Anyway, back to "configuring" again.

I have no experience with it myself, but I think POSKY (http://www.projectopensky.com/) has a 767 you can download for free.Captain Sim has a 767 too. It is a little less expensive than the Level D (and not quite the same standard on the systems side, although the visuals are better). They have sales from time to time where you can buy their stuff significantly discounted, so maybe keep an eye on them.The Level D is a classic, though. Best there is.

Thanks, yes that is already checked. I'm now messing around with nHancer following a guide that I found linked on this forum in hopes that it will increase the quality of the sims visuals. Either I get the quality up or I go try and see what Xplane looks like on my computer. On other peoples computers I've seen it can look excellent but who knows until it's tried on your own computer.Anyway, back to "configuring" again.
I think your screenshot of the FSX 747 cockpit is actually the way it looks in FSX :( If you want higher quality cockpit visuals, I'd suggest buying some top quality planes: PMDG or RealAirhave fabulous looking cockpits with "round" knobs when they are supposed to be round.

Bert

Guest Desert Flyer
I think your screenshot of the FSX 747 cockpit is actually the way it looks in FSX :( If you want higher quality cockpit visuals, I'd suggest buying some top quality planes: PMDG or RealAirhave fabulous looking cockpits with "round" knobs when they are supposed to be round.
Okay, thanks for the tip. I just talked to my buddy that wants to help me fly and he said that the MS planes are probably some of the worst and he also (again) suggested to get some payware planes so I'll have to look into it I guess.

What's ugly to someone can be beautiful to someone else. I love those octagonal knobs. My fingers don't slip when turning them :( . Keep in mind, the added polygons to make them round is part of why a beautifully rendered add-on aircraft impacts performance.You can permanently reset the starting coordinates of your eyepoint in the aircraft.cfg file. Also, the initial view angle (up/down) in the virtual cockpit can be set in the cameras.cfg file (affects all aircraft).

Art

Guest Stanner1953

How is the pilot's seat raised or lowered in the 2D cockpit? Is there a FSX.cfg tweek for this?Thanks,Stanner