Sign in to follow this  

Hard to believe. Here I was, happily running my Q9650 at 4 GHZ when I wanted to eliminate the stutter I got at low altitude in the turns. I tried faster ddr2, (ran it at 1125), and looking for a ddr3 board for socket 775 didn't seem wise. They are disappearing fast so that could mean money down the drain if I needed to replace one. I sold the Q9650 and shopped for an i7-860 and got a good deal and the stutters are gone. BUT! Now I get random disappearing of textures and flashing screens when I access the full screen menu and I don't dare try to replay a greeased landing because about a third of the time I get the black screen of death! Surf the forums and find out that I am not alone. The combination of W7 64 or Vista 64 and I7 and FSX is unreliable with large memory footprint addons. (PMDG, Flight1 Mustang, etc). WHAT!!! The solution is Windows XP64! ARE YOU KIDDING? That's harder to acquire than a socket 775 DDR3 motherboard!Kaydub

Hard to believe. Here I was, happily running my Q9650 at 4 GHZ when I wanted to eliminate the stutter I got at low altitude in the turns. I tried faster ddr2, (ran it at 1125), and looking for a ddr3 board for socket 775 didn't seem wise. They are disappearing fast so that could mean money down the drain if I needed to replace one. I sold the Q9650 and shopped for an i7-860 and got a good deal and the stutters are gone. BUT! Now I get random disappearing of textures and flashing screens when I access the full screen menu and I don't dare try to replay a greeased landing because about a third of the time I get the black screen of death! Surf the forums and find out that I am not alone. The combination of W7 64 or Vista 64 and I7 and FSX is unreliable with large memory footprint addons. (PMDG, Flight1 Mustang, etc). WHAT!!! The solution is Windows XP64! ARE YOU KIDDING? That's harder to acquire than a socket 775 DDR3 motherboard!Kaydub
Get it at CompUSA while you still can.http://www.compusa.com/applications/Search...2&CatId=672

Guest FlyingBits

Sorry guys posted in wrong thread... :(

HelloI have just spent days reinstalling FS9 on Win7, the result was FS9 loading screen flashing as the Sim loadedDropping to desktop to launch RC ect unreliable, Not being able to select the menu consistently, ugly black mouse pointers in full screen.Tried many different Nvidia driver sets with various degrees of success.A quick reformat and XP64 was installed on c:\ , FS9was on D:\ so ran Flight1s registry tool to set the Registry path.Absolutely no issues at all now, the Sim runs flawlessly, just a few addons left to install nowWhat have I learned from this:XP64 offers much better compatability for FS9 and keeping the Sim on a different drive is a huge timesaver when it comes to reinstalling the OSHere in the UK XP 64bit is very expensive now compared to W7, anyone would think MS were trying to kill the OSThey wouldn't do that would they ? :(

HelloI have just spent days reinstalling FS9 on Win7, the result was FS9 loading screen flashing as the Sim loadedDropping to desktop to launch RC ect unreliable, Not being able to select the menu consistently, ugly black mouse pointers in full screen.Tried many different Nvidia driver sets with various degrees of success.A quick reformat and XP64 was installed on c:\ , FS9was on D:\ so ran Flight1s registry tool to set the Registry path.Absolutely no issues at all now, the Sim runs flawlessly, just a few addons left to install nowWhat have I learned from this:XP64 offers much better compatability for FS9 and keeping the Sim on a different drive is a huge timesaver when it comes to reinstalling the OSHere in the UK XP 64bit is very expensive now compared to W7, anyone would think MS were trying to kill the OSThey wouldn't do that would they ? :(
Thanks, Sargeski. I will check tomorrow to see if CompUSA's XP64 is SP2. My new motherboard will not load anything less than XP SP2 on the OS disk! Why did I buy the "new and improved" 64-bit OS? I can't use it on this new build, and I bought it just for this machine. XP64 is now so scarce that when I saw one on Craigslist posted at 11:30 last Friday, it was sold by the time that I got a response from the seller three hours later.Max, I hear you. FSX was marketed as the sim for DX10. They were kidding, I guess. It won't run on a DX10 system! What!!!!Kaydub

If you want a volume license copy of XP PRO 64 you can get it at www.zapsoftware.com for $69.00. It comes with SP 1 I think, and just use nlite to slipstream SP 2 and your good to go. This was the only way to get the black disappearing twxtures to go away for me. Hope this helps. Bryan

If you want a volume license copy of XP PRO 64 you can get it at www.zapsoftware.com for $69.00. It comes with SP 1 I think, and just use nlite to slipstream SP 2 and your good to go. This was the only way to get the black disappearing twxtures to go away for me. Hope this helps. Bryan
Bad advice. You need to install XPx64 SP2 (full SP2 install from the CD, not web updated to SP2). The web updated SP2 has some issues that were never fixed by Microsoft and never will be. These issues are corrected on an SP2 install disk.

Bad advice. You need to install XPx64 SP2 (full SP2 install from the CD, not web updated to SP2). The web updated SP2 has some issues that were never fixed by Microsoft and never will be. These issues are corrected on an SP2 install disk.
I went with the full disk. You can't install anything less than XP SP2 from the disk on my new motherboard. Waiting for shipment. Thanks for the help.Kaydub

I was just going off what Nickn was suggesting about slipstreaming SP2 which he listed in his tunning guide and by the way this not a web update via windows update. I downloaded the SP2 as a packaged IT deployment seperately and merged togather using nlite. Here is Nick's statement from the tunning guide. "Those on the mentioned systems only have once choice and that is to SLIPSTREAM SP2 (or SP3) and make a WindowsXP SP2/3 install disk, then wipe the system clean and reinstall Windows from that new disk. From that point on you are no longer affected by the Microsoft issue."Hope this helps. Bryan

Read these: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?s=&...t&p=1708554http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=271292http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?s=&...t&p=1708556

I was just going off what Nickn was suggesting about slipstreaming SP2 which he listed in his tunning guide and by the way this not a web update via windows update. I downloaded the SP2 as a packaged IT deployment seperately and merged togather using nlite. Here is Nick's statement from the tunning guide. "Those on the mentioned systems only have once choice and that is to SLIPSTREAM SP2 (or SP3) and make a WindowsXP SP2/3 install disk, then wipe the system clean and reinstall Windows from that new disk. From that point on you are no longer affected by the Microsoft issue."Hope this helps. Bryan
I'm unfamiliar with slipstreaming, but I think you have to have the OS installed to do it. I can't install anything less than SP2 from disk on this motherboard.Sargeski:How have your Redlines treated you? I haven't found much user data anywhere.Kaydub

Guest FlyingBits
Well I just "started maxing out the memory footprint" as they say and this "fix" if it is that is only hours old and I can make no promises.... I was running My traffic< ChicagoX, KORD and in and out of a few CS727/757 etc and would BS when going in and out of the menu (never had this before. Most of the FSX settings are maxed, I was only using 4SxAA, 16xAF, Gama Corection & SuperSampling with V-sync=on FPS locked at 34 NVdrivers 196.34 on setup in my sig at 1920x1200x32.Fix? Ran FSX.exe in XP-SP3 compaitibility mode and try as I may, could not get it to Black Screen in the same situation. I am on the road traveling, will get back to sim in a day or two...but just passing on for you to try if you want....

I'm unfamiliar with slipstreaming, but I think you have to have the OS installed to do it. I can't install anything less than SP2 from disk on this motherboard.Sargeski:How have your Redlines treated you? I haven't found much user data anywhere.Kaydub
What you do is you take your new XP PRO 64 bit software CD and copy its contents to a folder of your choosing somewhere on C drive. You can name XP PRO 64 folder if you like. Then down load the SP 2 into this same folder. SP 2 is around 517 Mega bit's. Then install nlite on your computor, and follow the tutorial's from nlite on how to merge the two files together. You can even pre program your XP PRO 64 CD key into the install so that you don't have to enter each time you reinstall windows from your custom made CD. Best thing is do a little research on how to use nlite. This procedure is only if you bought a XP PRO 64 bit copy with out SP 1 or SP2. Nlite is a great software tool with a fairly easy to use GUI. I only suggested zapsoftware so you can save a little money, but if you would feel more comfortable buying the software from tigerdirect for more thats fine also. Either way you get the same result. Hope this helps. Bryan.