Sign in to follow this  
Guest sdickson1968

MSFS-2002 better suited for me?

Hello all. I have MSFS-2002 pro. I must admit I haven't used it in a very long time. My system is ancient by today's standards. Athlon 1.4 512mram, Geforce 3, Winxp pro,.....I have a real desire to get back into Flight Simming but I'm unsure if the new MSFS-2004 might be a bit much for my antiquated rig.Does FS-2004 bring much more to the table that I should really try to fly that? Or would FS-2002 pro be good enough for someone re-introducing himself to flight simming?If FS-2002 is the better choice for me, what free downloads would you suggest I get? I don't need all the latest and greatest, just those that you all have found made FS-2002 a better all round product.I can't for-see any kind of upgrade in the near future if that helps your recommendation for me.Thank-You.

By the looks of it, if you dont put all the sliders to max, your performance will be very similier to what we got in 2k2. (You know, autogen, complexity, cloud density) Although the new weather looks like it might kill the frame rates for use older generation computer users. I also have a slower comp, so this topic intrests me too.

Guest sdickson1968

D'o'TI have similar specs to yours: Athlon 1700XP (1.4GHz), 768MB SDRAM, GeForce 3 Ti200 and FS2004 runs very well. I'm seeing framerates in the 20's and 30's consistently, with very occasional dips into the teens when the scenery gets busy. So, I don't think you have to worry about the performance of FS2004 on your system at all.As to whether FS2002 Pro is 'good enough' to re-introduce yourself to flight simming, I suppose it is. FS2004 is very much an evolution of FS2002 - with a lot of enhancements to be sure but basically the same core product. If you didn't enjoy FS2002, chances are you won't enjoy FS2004 either.That said, if you are looking to get back into flight simming, I would spring for FS2004 if I were you. The improvements to the terrain, lighting, atmospherics, ATC and weather enhance the experience significantly. I've already found myself sneaking back into the computer room at 2am for 'one last flight' before bed, just on the strength of the new enhancements.