Sign in to follow this  
devonchung

UT2 SP1..Is it safe to download and put in my computer?

Hi,This is a question to anyone who has downloaded the SP for the improved version of UT2. I understand it is out and there is a link to it on the flight1 site but from reading the posts, there seems to be massive confusion about how to properly install this service pack. The instructions in the forums are rather confusing and one of the last posts said that we should await something called the "Power pack". Is there anyone out there who has actually downloaded the SP and was it successful? Do I uninstall my current version be4 installing the SP1 version? I am skeptical because some people wrote down that they spent the "whole day" trying to install this SP and seemed to not get any real help from the people who run the support forum. My UT2 works "ok" right now and I would love to make it more frame rate friendly but don't want to spend hours and get frustrated if I should just wait for the power pack to come out. Any help is appreciated.ThanksAlex Chung

Hi,This is a question to anyone who has downloaded the SP for the improved version of UT2. I understand it is out and there is a link to it on the flight1 site but from reading the posts, there seems to be massive confusion about how to properly install this service pack. The instructions in the forums are rather confusing and one of the last posts said that we should await something called the "Power pack". Is there anyone out there who has actually downloaded the SP and was it successful? Do I uninstall my current version be4 installing the SP1 version? I am skeptical because some people wrote down that they spent the "whole day" trying to install this SP and seemed to not get any real help from the people who run the support forum. My UT2 works "ok" right now and I would love to make it more frame rate friendly but don't want to spend hours and get frustrated if I should just wait for the power pack to come out. Any help is appreciated.ThanksAlex Chung
LOL, I may have been the guy who started the thread that ended up being 4 pages long before I got it fixed.Here's what the deal was. I was very hesitant to do the update, but as it stood I wasn't using the original version anymore because I couldn't stand the micro pauses while traffic injected. So one day I had some freetime and though since they said the beta was finished I might as well try. I installed the update and sure enough it wouldn't work in FSX. The UI worked but when I ok'ed the module when FSX started I got a smartassemble error. Then they decided to make an whole new download which included the UT2 with the SP built in. So I downloaded it, uninstalled what I had, and still the same error when I started FSX. I uninstalled and tried some other suggestins, but still no luck.To make a long story short, Tom Main actually called my on my cell phone the following day to trouble shoot. Turned out the the original version required one version of simconnect to run ,which is why my original version worked fine but the updated version didn't. The new SP version required another version of simconnect that I didn have installed but my version was like one or two months older than the required version, hence the smart assembly error.I was a little upset at first because it seemed like no one from Flight1 would get involved, but once they did, they went the extra mile by calling me to get it straightened out.If I were you I would go for it, in my experience since doing the update it works much better. I can run higher levels of AI since they changed some of the models, plus some of the other new feature are pretty cool. I'm sure if you have trouble after the update someone will be able to get you sorted out.BTW, there is a version of simconnect linked into a post somewhere on the message board in case you need the newer version.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi, Alex. I downloaded UT2_SP1.exe, ran it and installed it very smoothly. Started the app, checked the version 2.04. I haven't had the time yet to check the improvements.

I also installed SP1. UT2 works better since. I almost gave up on UT2 because if I wanted decent number of AI flying around my FPS suffered badly. Now I have it on 100% (airline) and I'm getting good FPS.
+1I actually disabled the first version in the exe.xml and went back to WOAI, until the service pack was released. Prior to that I didnt really have an FPS problem, but I couldn't stand the pauses while traffic loaded. Now after SP1 its perfect, lots of AI, not much FPS hit at 100%, and no visable pauses when it loads.

Guest FSXBuster

cmpbellsjc: I can see you have WOAI too. Is it installed together with UT2?If yes, how does that work, no problems?

cmpbellsjc: I can see you have WOAI too. Is it installed together with UT2?If yes, how does that work, no problems?
Yeah I have the WOAI cargo packages installed for the ones that UT2 is missing, like FedEx and UPS, amoung others. Works fine no problem. I also have some other airlines installed just for the textures that UT2 was missing. For example I think that UT2 was missing some Tui paints, so I assigned them to the WOAI paints. In this case though, the Tui traffic bgl is removed so that I dont have duplicate traffic for that airline. Mostly though I am just using WOAI for the cargo.I also have some custom AI running as well. Some of it I wrote to provide static a/c in some airports and other is for specific carriers.Now I just need to add the Janet Air that flys from KLAS to Groom Lake everyday, lol.BTW, just make sure if you install WOAI stuff you use something like AIFPC or an equivalent to convert the traffic bgl to one that is meant for FSX use.Edit: The only bad part about using the WOAI stuff is that you wont be able to use the "Clear Approach" or "Stop Traffic" function, or other custom functions of UT2 since the WOAI will be running on its own. Shouldn't be a problem though, since it not like the sky if filled with FedEx and UPS planes.

Guest FSXBuster

Thanks for the info.I'll try that combination and see how it goes...