Sign in to follow this  
Guest BeaverDriver

Cessna 185 - GOT IT!

Guest BeaverDriver

Just a real quickie here folks, but between Carenado and I, it looks like we now have a killer (and I do mean, KILLER) Cessna 185!! I worked on the air file they sent me last night and fortunately had a runway that was perfect for doing my testing on, and the performance specs are basically right on the money now! Carenado will be in touch once they have all the details set down and have had a chance to clean things up a bit. I think you'll like what you see. I KNOW I do!On the Guide, my priority has been to work on the air file first and get it going. The guide will resume tomorrow night and I hope to have it to you no later than Thursday. In the mean time, if you don't already have the 185, but you love bush flying, wait a day or two for the latest patch and then go get it! You will NOT be sorry!!

Just a real quickie here folks, but between Carenado and I, it looks like we now have a killer (and I do mean, KILLER) Cessna 185!! I worked on the air file they sent me last night and fortunately had a runway that was perfect for doing my testing on, and the performance specs are basically right on the money now! Carenado will be in touch once they have all the details set down and have had a chance to clean things up a bit. I think you'll like what you see. I KNOW I do!On the Guide, my priority has been to work on the air file first and get it going. The guide will resume tomorrow night and I hope to have it to you no later than Thursday. In the mean time, if you don't already have the 185, but you love bush flying, wait a day or two for the latest patch and then go get it! You will NOT be sorry!!
Absolutely fantastic news!!! The only thing that needs done to it now is the slight mess of the panel, i.e. the radio stack and the split in the second VOR.

Guest BeaverDriver
Absolutely fantastic news!!! The only thing that needs done to it now is the slight mess of the panel, i.e. the radio stack and the split in the second VOR.
Yeah, one fellow did a panel mod and showed how he did it. Since I fly in the bush most all the time, I rarely ever had more than 1 VHF Nav/Com and maybe an ADF, so I think I'll try to duplicate that. This is going to be sooooo cool!! :(

Yeah, one fellow did a panel mod and showed how he did it. Since I fly in the bush most all the time, I rarely ever had more than 1 VHF Nav/Com and maybe an ADF, so I think I'll try to duplicate that. This is going to be sooooo cool!! :(
Yes, the mod he did was very cool and suited the 'wagon nicely. Only problem is that I don't have the necessary programs and skills to do what he has and the fact that I don't think Carenado will let him share it :(

Guest BeaverDriver
Yes, the mod he did was very cool and suited the 'wagon nicely. Only problem is that I don't have the necessary programs and skills to do what he has and the fact that I don't think Carenado will let him share it :(
I think all you need is Notebook (the one that comes with Windows). Just follow what he did in his tutorial and you'll have the same thing, I think. I need to re-read it, but whenever I've modified a panel, that's all I used. Now, if you want to add gauges, then you need whatever other aircraft that has those gauges, so you might be scuppered there. Drop him a line and he may be able to give you some clues.

I think all you need is Notebook (the one that comes with Windows). Just follow what he did in his tutorial and you'll have the same thing, I think. I need to re-read it, but whenever I've modified a panel, that's all I used. Now, if you want to add gauges, then you need whatever other aircraft that has those gauges, so you might be scuppered there. Drop him a line and he may be able to give you some clues.
Will do mate, thanks for the advice. Absolutely loving the 185. I'm in Scotland so I never really see them up close as there is only one or two here. The one I have seen is a parachute jumpship and has only one seat for the pilot with a message on the back of it which reads " PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH THE PILOT" which I think is awesome!!!

Guest BeaverDriver
Will do mate, thanks for the advice. Absolutely loving the 185. I'm in Scotland so I never really see them up close as there is only one or two here. The one I have seen is a parachute jumpship and has only one seat for the pilot with a message on the back of it which reads " PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH THE PILOT" which I think is awesome!!!
Scotland - COOL! What a neat place that is, from all accounts. I have to get there someday.Yeah, I used to have a couple of signs in the 185's I flew for real. One said, "If you must smoke, please step outside". Everyone got a chuckle out of it, but I wasn't kidding - I wouldn't let anyone smoke inside the airplane. When I wasn't carrying people, I was often carrying gas, and cigarettes and spilled gas wasn't a good combination :( .

Guest Sky_6

Great!!! :( I've been crossing my fingers on you Beaver and Carenado....waiting and waiting..I'm really excited!! Have only been flying my SuperCub cause of the issue....can't wait really....Thanks again for your time and patience-and thanks to Carenado for supporting the 'issue'..Also, Carenado- I can't seem to 'hear' my FLAPS drop.....maybe barely if I turn the cockpit sound all the way up... Does anyone else seem to have this bug..?

Thank you so much guys!I'm a little bit fed up with all these FMCs, CDUs, MCPs,Airbusboeingflyingcomputers! But this cool prop will make my day!Just jump in and have a nice time in Alaska, Canada or any otherbeatiful place in the world!

Cheers Jan 
5800X3D | Asus Strix 3080TI OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws | 1T + 250GB Samsung 960 Evo | Windows 10 | MSFS

Good going BeaverDriver :( By the time the 185 gets released for 2004 all the bugs should be ironed out :( Pete.

First of all: thanks for all the work on the 185 you are doing! I have to say that when I bought the C185F last week, I was a bit disappointed, because it somehow was too similar to the C182RG I bought just a few weeks before that. But yesterday evening (after finishing work on editing the panels) I had a good time with the plane. I also noticed now it really is a step forward from the C182RG, as far as textures and gauges are concerned (higher resolution, smoother movements of dials and knobs, etc.) and I am beginning to fall in love with it! :( While editing the panel, I also noticed the C185F looks better when it comes to how the gauges fit their specific spots: in the C185RG some gauges seemed to be slammed into a black hole without too much attention. (Well, not really, of course (I guess), and you won't notice it when you fly the plane as it is by default, but the C185F looks as if more care has gone into it.) So I am VERY HAPPY that a new air file is on the way, because right now this is not the easiest plane to move around! And I am also looking forward a lot to your manual!About the edits: notebook alone isn't enough. It is needed of course for moving the instruments around, but the problem is that the panel texture comes with instruments included...! If you disable the radiostack gauges etc. you will see the same radiostack (but then of course not working). That is what you see by default in the C185F panel between the two radio's: a copy (slightly smaller and moved up a little) of the radiostack that's IN the texture! So in order to edit the radiostack without seeing that radiostacktexture in the panel, you HAVE to edit the texture of the panel (at first I simply made it black, but later on I added a texture to make it look better). In another aircraft you might be able to simply cover the entire spot with gauges etc., but that's almost impossible in the C185F because the radiostack is divided into two 'masks', so you will always see something of the underlying texture.So to get 'the same thing' you either have to know how to Photoshop or you have to hope Carenado will release a panel texture with all gauges etc. removed (also all other gauges like VOR's, speedometer, etc. etc. are 'in' the texture, unlike in the C182RG where all spots of the gauges etc. are made black.) And if you want to cover a gauge, like the 2nd VOR, there is no other option to Photoshop that too, of course. And btw in my latest edit I added shadows to appropriate places to make things look a bit more realistic: you won't get that of course with a paneltexture that simply has the readiostack removed. But still, that would be better than the current default panel texture.

Guest BeaverDriver
Great!!! :( I've been crossing my fingers on you Beaver and Carenado....waiting and waiting..I'm really excited!! Have only been flying my SuperCub cause of the issue....can't wait really....Thanks again for your time and patience-and thanks to Carenado for supporting the 'issue'..Also, Carenado- I can't seem to 'hear' my FLAPS drop.....maybe barely if I turn the cockpit sound all the way up... Does anyone else seem to have this bug..?
Just a quick note, since these are manual flaps, you'll only hear a "CLICK" with them. Is that what you hear when you do get sound? I don't hear a click for every stop myself so yeah, this may be what you are referring to and I have the same problem.
First of all: thanks for all the work on the 185 you are doing! I have to say that when I bought the C185F last week, I was a bit disappointed, because it somehow was too similar to the C182RG I bought just a few weeks before that. But yesterday evening (after finishing work on editing the panels) I had a good time with the plane. I also noticed now it really is a step forward from the C182RG, as far as textures and gauges are concerned (higher resolution, smoother movements of dials and knobs, etc.) and I am beginning to fall in love with it! :( While editing the panel, I also noticed the C185F looks better when it comes to how the gauges fit their specific spots: in the C185RG some gauges seemed to be slammed into a black hole without too much attention. (Well, not really, of course (I guess), and you won't notice it when you fly the plane as it is by default, but the C185F looks as if more care has gone into it.) So I am VERY HAPPY that a new air file is on the way, because right now this is not the easiest plane to move around! And I am also looking forward a lot to your manual!About the edits: notebook alone isn't enough. It is needed of course for moving the instruments around, but the problem is that the panel texture comes with instruments included...! If you disable the radiostack gauges etc. you will see the same radiostack (but then of course not working). That is what you see by default in the C185F panel between the two radio's: a copy (slightly smaller and moved up a little) of the radiostack that's IN the texture! So in order to edit the radiostack without seeing that radiostacktexture in the panel, you HAVE to edit the texture of the panel (at first I simply made it black, but later on I added a texture to make it look better). In another aircraft you might be able to simply cover the entire spot with gauges etc., but that's almost impossible in the C185F because the radiostack is divided into two 'masks', so you will always see something of the underlying texture.So to get 'the same thing' you either have to know how to Photoshop or you have to hope Carenado will release a panel texture with all gauges etc. removed (also all other gauges like VOR's, speedometer, etc. etc. are 'in' the texture, unlike in the C182RG where all spots of the gauges etc. are made black.) And if you want to cover a gauge, like the 2nd VOR, there is no other option to Photoshop that too, of course. And btw in my latest edit I added shadows to appropriate places to make things look a bit more realistic: you won't get that of course with a paneltexture that simply has the readiostack removed. But still, that would be better than the current default panel texture.
Ahh, thanks for this. I see what you mean. I'm proficient in PS CS4 so I'll be ok, but yeah, you will need a paint program that can do textures for that. Thanks much. :(

A big thank you to Carenado and BeaverDriver to make the C185 more perfect.Waiting for the FS9-version becomes really hard, but I'm waiting, and I think it is worth it.Carenado demonstrates great support, because continue to work at the flight dynamics after the release.Thank you for great service without big words of emptiness for your customers...Looking forward to the moment, when getting airborne the first time with the C185

Guest Sky_6

Anxiously (is that how you spell it..lol) waiting for this..and your flying guide..BeaverAnticipating soon...as she is just sitting in the hangar collecting dust while I wait..oh no :( (Actually the FLOAT plane model of the 185 is what I'm really waiting on...and the Tundra tires mod..)We'll check back later..time to fly more Cub's in the Backcountry...FTX baby...