Sign in to follow this  
Bray

Taxiing FS2004

A little help from some pro would be nice.The new taxi signs are great, but when ground tells me to taxi to Gate E3, I still cant find it. The gates do not have numbers even with the scenery slider maxed out. Also when when ground says taxi to runway 9 via A3 S W and I get to the S intersection the sign says <---S---> How do I know which way to go? I try to figure it out based on heading but some of the taxi ways are not that easy to figure out. So for now I still have to use the progressive.Maybe runway signs would also help like real worldAny tips appreciatedBill

Not sure about the gate question-but for the other part.Whenever flying for real I always have the approach plate with the runway diagram in my lap. It can be just as hard in real life to also get confused. If I am really unsure, and at a busy airport-I will always ask for progressives-which you can also happily do on ms2004.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

Hi, Bill. You may know this, but the way I use to learn about the layout of taxiways in an airport that I intend to visit often is to request the taxiway help (the pink line from Ground Control). Use it twice or so at that airport and you should become familiar with how to move.Hope this helps, and I hope I didn't write something you already know :)

id say if they said A3 S W go in the direction on S that will lead you to W or the direction to where you destination is...

Thanks for the replies. I guess I just have to become familiar with the ariport. I was hoping I could do it right off the bat without requesting progressives.I flew into Miami and even after trying to follow the signs I could not find the gate. I guess someone may find a way to put the gate numbers on the concourses.Any way thanks again.Bill

Bill: My response is based on the assumption that the 'key' function is carried over from FS2K2 (I don't have FS2K4 yet).By keying Control+S you'll get an overhead view. Your position will be approximately in the center of the display in the crosshairs. You can identify your relative location to the runway(s) and determine the appropriate taxiways to use. You can remain in this configuration for your entire taxi sequence; the acft (crosshairs) moves in response to throttle and rudder control inputs.If you are located at an airport with AI traffic, they also will appear at their parking slots and as acft in motion. If you see one moving you can cheat a little and follow it to the runway!Another suggestion would be to turn on your lights with 'L' key; your acft as well as all of the others at the airport will be illuminated. It sorta' looks like a flashing strobe.If you feel like lurking and spotting, choose a busy airport, position yourself in an ideal spot, and you can view all the takeoffs and landings and watch all of the acft taxi to and from their parking slots. It's especially interesting as the hours of darkness approach.The '-' and '=' keys will zoom-you-out and zoom-you-in.Hope this helps and also hope they retained this function in FS2K4. I'll find out for myself on Tuesday....-GeorgeM at 5B6

I forgot about that control+s view George. I will give it a try and see if that helps.RegardsBill