Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

FS2K4: Overcast Skies - not overcast whan above?

Guest liebowa

In FS2K2, overcast skies completley covered the sky - no holes at all. This is still the case with FS2K4 when you are viewing overcast skies from below the layer(s). However, once you climb above them, they are not oversact at all - just scattered.This is frustrating when you're flying the jetliners - there appears to be no way to NOT see through the scattered clouds below - in effect, you never see a continuing layer of "overcast".Maybe I'm missing something??

Your not missing anything, I noticed the same thing myself...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Chris can you also fix the way clouds are rendered based on altitude/distance from your aircraft. I was flying at 36,000ft and had clouds below me at 6,000 looked as though they were at least two thousand feet below me. It looks as though no matter how high you fly the clouds are right with you and the detail they have kills framerates. The higher you go the less detail clouds should have and they should look like their tens of thousands of feet below you if they are...By the way Chris,"You have to add two layers overcast"Most of us are using the downloaded weather that updates every 15 minutes. Adding layers to this weather is not an option I believe and if it were it would be highly unrealistic to fly into a system and have to go in the menues and adjust cloud layers. I would rather concentrate on my approach...

FS2020 

Crap! I knew this was too good to be true. I noticed in all the screenshots I saw for 2004 that even at altitude the clouds seemed like they were just underneath you. I was beginning to wonder if all the jets in the screenies were only flying at under 15000 feet. What happens if you pull the slider for the cloud detail back a bit so that the more distant clouds are rendered in 2D? Will that make the ones right underneath you (yet by several thousand feet) look far away, and will it also give you an undercast right to the horizon? I don't have 2004 yet, so I can't try this myself yet, but maybe someone could give a go with this?Looks like I'll be an FS Sky World user in 2004 too :-). I just hope it doesn't pull frame rates down the tubes with it on even the powerful machines, given the level of detail in 2004. Anyway, thanks for your work here Chris!Glenn

The 2D clouds are terrible. Just imagine FS2k2 with flat scattered clouds no option for Broken or Overcast whatsoever. Adjusting the sliders doesn't do anything for the 2D clouds. In FS2k2 as you gained altitude the clouds would come into detail and then as you left them they would flatten out or become less detailed. In FS2k4 they don't lose any detail and always look as though they are not that far from you bird, killing your framerates. This kills it for me.If anyone remembers how the rain looks in FS2k2 where you just saw drops around you aircraf and that was it. Well that's what sliders do to the 3D clouds in FS2k4, it closes the clouds in around your aircraft really making it look as though the clouds are following you.

FS2020