Sign in to follow this  
Guest YVR

My experience with a ATI 5770 and FS9

Guest YVR

So I have a FS9 machine, basically a e8500 overclocked to about 3.4ggz which had a 8800GT but I decided to upgrade because I purchased a 24" LCD and the 8800GT wasn't keeping up with the higher res. I purchased the ATI 5770 because it was the best bang for the buck card out there and all the reviews looked great. I received the card last week, did a fresh install of Windows XP, loaded the drivers and went into FS9. The FPS increased by 50% which was quite impressive but the problems slowly started creeping up...First of all, the textures where shimmering and looked horrible. I did a lot of searching on google and on this forum to address this issues and played around with the CCC settings but I still had issues with shimmering textures. I tried the max AA setting which did get rid of most of the shimmering textures but my FPS dropped by half so I went back to best working settings and I decided that I could live with the shimmering as long as I was able to get high FPS on my new LCD. I loaded up FS9, all the settings in place according to what I read on this forum and reading up on the ATI guides, and went for a test flight. After flying around for about 5 minutes I started noticing stuttering. I have no idea where and why I was getting stuttering all of a sudden so I quit FS9 and checked the vsync options and played around with the AA and AF settings and went back into FS9 and again I tried to fly around and the stuttering showed up again. I decided to restart my computer and made sure nothing was running in the background but I still get stuttering. I also noticed my FPS would drop with moderate cloud cover but not by much, about a 5-10fps decrease but with my old card and 22" LCD I had no issuesBasically I had enough with this card, 2 full days I spent playing around with every possible setting and it was one problem after another so I returned the card and got myself a GTS 250 1GB and I'm getting steady 40 FPS with no shimmering or any other issues.I was really hoping that the 5770 would work out because from all the reviews it is one amazing card for most games out on the market, just not for FS9. I don't know how it does in FSX but in FS9 it was horrible, well for me at least.

Guest otwer22

What version of ATI driver did you use? Seems as though 10.1 improves the shimmering problems. I am looking at a few different laptops and the one I really like comes with an ATI 5870 GPU. I will mainly use it for FS9 for now, with FSX as a possibility later on this year.Trying to get as much info as I can.Thanks

Guest YVR

I had the newest drivers. The 5870 is a good card but I would search this forum to see first hand how in preforms in FS9/FSX.

What laptop comes with a ATI 5870? Got my curiosity up.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Guest otwer22

Asus Just came out with the G73JH. People just started getting them in their hands yesterday. It uses the Mobile version of the ATI 5870.It appears from the chatter at notebookreview that its a winner. Cool temps, Awesome performance, Good looks, Nice display.To bad ATI has more issues with Flight Sim.

What laptop comes with a ATI 5870? Got my curiosity up.
The mobility 5870 is more like a desktop 5770. Cypress, the GPU used in 58xx and 59xx series desktop cards is not available in mobile form-factor.

Guest djt01
Basically I had enough with this card, 2 full days I spent playing around with every possible setting and it was one problem after another so I returned the card and got myself a GTS 250 1GB and I'm getting steady 40 FPS with no shimmering or any other issues.I was really hoping that the 5770 would work out because from all the reviews it is one amazing card for most games out on the market, just not for FS9. I don't know how it does in FSX but in FS9 it was horrible, well for me at least.
I don

Unlike Nvidia, ATI does apply AA to FS9’s aircraft menu -
Huh, that's not true. My both 8800GT and GTX285 apply menu AA and whatever I set it in the nHancer, same as in the sim. You are one of very few lucky ones, as far as I can read, around the who have an ATI and successfully using it.

Guest YVR
I switched from nvidia 8800 GTS 320 MB to Ati 5770, and haven

Guest djt01
Huh, that's not true. My both 8800GT and GTX285 apply menu AA and whatever I set it in the nHancer, same as in the sim. You are one of very few lucky ones, as far as I can read, around the who have an ATI and successfully using it.
I been using nHancer for a while now starting when the GTX 280 was first released and then with the GTX 285. Yes AA works in the aircraft menu with nHancer and then drops out after closing out of the first flight and without nHancer it doesn

I been using nHancer for a while now starting when the GTX 280 was first released and then with the GTX 285. Yes AA works in the aircraft menu with nHancer and then drops out after closing out of the first flight and without nHancer it doesn’t work period. Do a little research you’ll see I’m not “one of very few lucky ones” at all. You can’t blame a botched install on the hardware.
I dunno. I read Hardware forums a lot, and I see very little problems with Nvidia cards, in comparison to ATI ones.It's true that Nvidia needs Nhancer set up correctly to work, since I think Nvidia AA is working a little different than ATI AA... I believe that ATI applies the AA setting over the app if you tell it to, no matter what, and Nvidia has an additional option (and a default one) to enhance the setting of the app, thus having problems with FS (that said, override the default setting to enhance, things are gonna work out just fine).My 8800GT has always been working 100% - no glitch at all, and the GTX285, as far as I had it, also no problems. I played other games, which have internal setting for AA, which works very well, and for FS9, I set up Nhancer in 2min and since then, not once did I have non-AA screen...Without Nhancer though, it's true, no AA in FS.Though personally, I had ATI a long time ago, I didn't like ATI Tray Tools. Especially that you had to have it loaded.Nhancer, install, set, close and leave it closed. Always working after that.

Guest djt01
Nice pix, but they all look like they have been zoomed out, to me that gives a false impression of IQ and is a bit weird to fly especially when in a banking turn.
I don