Sign in to follow this  
BobP

FSD upates are not for win2K?

I downloaded the $7.50 upgrade for the FSD Commander and it will not update. I get an error saying my OS (win2k) will not the allow the install wrapper to manipulate my system folders and start menu and shortcuts and folders. Maybe I missed it, but do I have to give administrator rights to an install wrapper to for a $7.50 update? I

Hi Greg,I have every FSD airplane except the Seneca. I saw the website update that allows a conversion of airplanes from FS2002 to FS2004. I never upgraded my planes to the gmax version and decided to do so in order to move them over to FS2004. Nice easy task to accomplish in a few minutes of free time on a Sunday. I purchased the Commander 115 update to gmax for $7.50 which is very reasonable. Downloaded the install wrapper and end of nice easy afternoon upgrade. "Windows will not let the installer complete the install". "Access denied". "Error", "Windows would not allow folders to be moved etc etc".....I have had w2K operating on this machine for over a year and this is the first time an installer was rejected by Windows 2000. If it is not a defective installer then the installer is attempting to go into areas it shouldn't. I'll send an email to FSD. Meantime I have wasted another 3 hours on a simple upgrade. Grrrrrrr....BobP :)

Guest UweR

Hi, I may miss the point, but is it really THAT much of a hassle to install programs in admin mode???

>Sending an informative email with all the info needed to us>so we can troubleshoot it would be a good idea.>>But then it wouldn't be as much fun, would it ?>.....>Steve Small>Canberra, Australia>>http://www.fsd-international.com/team/Steve_signature.gifAs much fun as what? I posted here initially hoping to find someone else with the same problem as it was a Sunday afternoon. And expressing my frustration with the process of licenses and install wrappers. I guess if you don't like the way I wrote it .... tough. There are others having problems with the installer as indicated on your website. You do what you think is best to protect your software and my purchase decision will be based upon how convient it is for me; just like I stated on your website before you deleted my post.BobP :)Hi Uwe,This was not a matter of sharing folders then an easy install. It was an entire after of inconsistant and erroneous messages. Thanks.BobP:)

Guest TimD

{Edited for typos)Bob,Your problem has nothing to do with licenses or wrappers. It is a Windows related problem. The message you refer to is not coming from our install program. I know because I wrote it. That is a Windows error message. And based on my experience with the NT platform, which is considerable, the post Uwe made is right on the money. You have some kind of permission/security issue.As far as your post on our forum goes, we are always willing and eager to help customers who communicate problems to us in a reasonable and polite manner. Other posts on a support forum are removed as they are off topic, and not in any way productive.http://www.fsd-international.com/team/TD_forum_sig.gif

Guest racartron

Here is an alternate view that will muddy the waters even more.I run FS2002 Pro under Windows 2000 Pro and have bought at least one add-on from every developer out there. While some of the initial procedures are tricky to sort(especially the latest security bits), once I hit the install button, I have NEVER had a problem. The original installs and any subsequent updates have ALWAYS gone in cleanly.I know this doesn't help those with issues, but using a proper failure analysis process, one can only conclude the install mechanism does work. Therefore it can not be the source of the problem. The interaction between an install program and the system in use is the issue. There is no way a developer can possibly test the installer -- or the product for that matter -- on every conceivable machine configuration.While there are dozens of off-the-shelf machines available, there are literally thousands of permutations possible since we all tweak the hardware and drivers continuously. It would be interesting to see how many simmers using basically

Guest Ken_Salter

The only time it is a problem if it you are using WinXP Home :-erks where trying to login as the administrator is not exactly straighforward. I of course prefer XP Prof.http://saltydogfly2.avsim.net/images/avsim_sig.jpg"I am the keeper of the cheese; you are the lemon merchant"

Guest TimD

Good points.I use Windows 2000 myself, as a development platform. A lot of our other customers, who run the same program just fine, also use Windows 2000 or XP (WINNT). The problem this person is relating is an error that comes from the Windows shell. Specifically the standard shell copy command, identical to what you might do in Windows Explorer. I have never seen this come up as an issue before either.But I do know that permissions/security settings can be very tricky on Windows 2000. It is a very powerful platform (I prefer it over XP). I chose to operate on a day to day basis logged in as a power user, not as administrator, as it offers a higher level of security. But there is a tradeoff with a lot of programs where it refuses to work unless you are logged in as administrator. But there are global security settings that can make life a lot easier. But if these get set wrong, or something else corrupts them, or there is a program running in the background that is hogging resources, that whole scenario can go into the bit-bucket.My http://www.fsd-international.com/dcforum/Images/twocents.gifhttp://www.fsd-international.com/team/TD_forum_sig.gif

>{Edited for typos)>>Bob,>>Your problem has nothing to do with licenses or wrappers. It>is a Windows related problem. The message you>refer to is not coming from our install program. I know>because I wrote it. That is a Windows error message. And>based on my experience with the NT platform, which is>considerable, the post Uwe made is right on the money. You>have some kind of permission/security issue.>>As far as your post on our forum goes, we are always willing>and eager to help customers who communicate problems to us in>a reasonable and polite manner. Other posts on a support>forum are removed as they are off topic, and not in any way>productive.>>http://www.fsd-international.com/team/TD_forum_sig.gif]Hi Tim and thank you for your response. Your wrapper is the only install package that has ever caused the permission error and that error was one of several. The errors were not consistent as a un-install followed by an install resulted in a different set of showstoppers. All of your previous install wrappers have worked perfectly. Error messages such as "can't validate license

First off, Steve sent me an email a while back confirming that I was the ONLY person who couldn't successfully install the upgrade. Everyone else, according to Steve, is happy. So you are obviously wrong about this OR you are the second stupid guy on the block. Secondly, according to Steve, because of a combination of my "ineptitude" and "attitude", I will never be allowed to download anything else from their site again (This is punishment???).I admit it. I got hot because of the awkward, paranoid protection scheme that they use, flamed them privately after hours of frustration, and then later apologized. My great sin is that I still use 98SE. But Steve never forgets . . . especially if you are too much trouble to support. Keep this up and Steve won't let you try their next generation of installation security. Fortunately, I know that I will never get the chance.Wilson P.S. Why can't he be nice when you need help, like the guys at Flight1, rather than spew out some sarcastic response, as he did with you? You didn't insult him.