Sign in to follow this  
Guest sfgiants13

Confused

Guest sfgiants13

I've been flying in FS2002 for quite a while, but never really learned how to set the VOR indicator, and the ILS frequency. Could someone tell me how to set those, and which radio stack to set it on(eg.Nav1, Comm1).

Set your ILS frequency on Nav 1 , other VOR settings to Nav 2 ,hope this helpsasd2002

Guest sfgiants13

Thanks. But now, where and how do I read the VOR and where in the heck in the cockpit is the ILS radar, or whatever its called?

Guest JohnN

Hi sfgiants13,If I understand you correctly, you'll have to call up the 'Radio Stack' to display the place where you tune the radios. Frequently, you tune VOR 2 (on the right) and then click the <--> arrow to place that frequency in VOR 1. You can then set the next frequency that you're going to use in VOR 2 and move it over after you've left (flown beyond) the previous VOR.Now for "setting the VOR indicator". I assume you mean to rotate the indicator to the desired heading. In that case, look for a knob at the lower left or right of the 'indicator' and click on one side or the other to move it one way or the other so that the desired heading is at the top.I hope this is what you wanted and if so, it helps.John

Hey there,VORs are great once you learn to use them. There are two basic types of VORs... Low Altitude VORs (L) and High altitude VORs(V). VORs are ground based stations which transmits radio signals. These signals are called radials. There are a infinite number of radials, but to make things easier they are divided up ino 360 (thats not the real reason why, but you get the jist). Receiving VOR signals work based on line of sight. If you have something between you and the station (ie: a mountain), you will not pick up that signal. So... the more altitude you have, the more of a chance you'll have of receiving a signal. Also, radials extend FROM the station.To set the VOR frequency, tune the NAV1 or NAV2 radio to the desired VOR frequency. Pull the IDENT knob out and listen for the morse code identifier. Once you have determined that it IS the correct VOR, turn the IDENT feature off and look at you VOR1 or VOR2 indicater. depending on what radio you are using). If you are receiving a signal from the station, you will see either a TO or FROM indication. A blank flag (swith red & white stripes I beleive) with indicate you are 1) too low or 2) the signal is blocked. Now look at the needle, which should be swayed to one side. This indicates your position RELATIVE TO THE CURRENT HEADING SET ON THE INDICATOR. Now, to track directly to the VOR, turn the obs knob until the needle become centered, make sure you have a "TO" flag showing, and fly the heading indicated by the VOR indicator. Keep that need centered, if the needle sways a little to the right, make a small correction angle to the right and re-intercept it. Dont "chase the needle", meaning dont keep turning the OBS knob to keep up with the needle. Now, as you get really close to the station, the needle will become VERY sensitive, and will want to sway every which way. Keep the heading you are on. Once the flag switches from a "TO" to a "FROM", you have passed the station!Ok, that was all from memory. If I said something wrong, please correct me. Hope this helps! If you need help with the ILS, just ask!--Jeff

Guest sfgiants13

Thanks guys, but I still need help with the ILS frequencies. Where do I set that?

Guest sfgiants13

I just tried a very short hop from KOAK to KSJC, and I tried a Low altitude airways, and it terminated me even when I was at my assigned altitude. Also, in none of the boeing's, none of them had the VOR1 or 2 indicators. I need help.

Guest sfgiants13

Another thing, I always here this beeping sound, and it's getting annoying. Also, what's that radio magnetic indicator for?

Guest JohnN

sfgiants12Your question: "Thanks guys, but I still need help with the ILS frequencies. Where do I set that?"Assuming you know the ILS frequency of the runway, place that frequency in Nav 1. Utilze the Horizontal Situation Indicator (HSI)to guide you in. Be sure to set the needle to point to the direction of the runway or it will be very confusing.John

Guest sfgiants13

Can I set it in NAV 2 because I have my VOR station tuned in VOR1? That solved my problem for the needle. I never pointed it to the runway, so that explains on my short hop to try to understand the insturments, why it pointed 50 degrees away from it.

Guest sfgiants13

Can I set it in NAV 2 because I have my VOR station tuned in VOR1? That solved my problem for the needle. I never pointed it to the runway, so that explains on my short hop to try to understand the insturments, why it pointed 50 degrees away from it.

Guest WorkingStiff

This thread is quite amusing but I guess that now is the appropriate time to check out this website: [a href=http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/index.htm] Flight Simulator Navigation [/a]This site has all the answers to these and many other questions. Since FSNavigator does not yet work in COF2004 this would be a great time to increase your navigation knowledge.

Guest sfgiants13

Well, I'm sure you remember all of my other posts workingstiff. I got those solved and learned how to manually add AI traffic plans and aircraft, and use overlays. Anyway, I can't seem to point the needle towards the runway like you said. How and where can you set it?

Guest sfgiants13

Well, I'm sure you remember all of my other posts workingstiff. I got those solved and learned how to manually add AI traffic plans and aircraft, and use overlays. Anyway, I can't seem to point the needle towards the runway like you said. How and where can you set it?

Guest sfgiants13

When I said you, I didn't mean you working stiff, I meant the other person who told me to. Anyway, I got the VOR marker to work properly, but I can't get the ILS indicator to work. It doesn't give me the lines on my ILS approaches like it's supposed to.