Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rightseat

We All Owe Chris an apology and a Thank You.

Hey, Chris, thanks for the RFP freeware hosting and everything you did to keep this great marvel of FS design flying into the future. I will admit that I was one of the ones who downloaded and didn't take the time to say, "Thank you;" so, for that I'm sorry, and want to let you know that I really appreciate what you did for the hobby. It's a shame that you got mistreated. I hope you can forgive me, and the rest of the community for doing you (and many others who make our hobby so great) wrong like that. We all should really take the time to say our thank-yous. Perhaps we can start an official 'Thank You, Chris' thread here with replies.Long Live the Queen!Crap! I misspelled 'apology!' What a lovely way to say you're sorry! (very embarrassed) I couldn't edit the topic.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hey, Chris, thanks for the RFP freeware hosting and everything you did to keep this great marvel of FS design flying into the future. I will admit that I was one of the ones who downloaded and didn't take the time to say, "Thank you;" so, for that I'm sorry, and want to let you know that I really appreciate what you did for the hobby. It's a shame that you got mistreated. I hope you can forgive me, and the rest of the community for doing you (and many others who make our hobby so great) wrong like that. We all should really take the time to say our thank-yous. Perhaps we can start an official 'Thank You, Chris' thread here with replies.Long Live the Queen!Crap! I misspelled 'apology!' What a lovely way to say you're sorry! (very embarrassed) I couldn't edit the topic.
Who is the Queen you are wishing a long live?Maybe is Elizabeth?Gianfranco

Who is the Queen you are wishing a long live?Maybe is Elizabeth?Gianfranco
Well I have just started flying the RFP, and what have I been missing !!I was given the CD version a few years ago but never got round to installing it. I can see this is going to become a firm favourite alongside the Dreamfleet 727.I have got the CIVA INS up and running... next will be the windscreen wipers ! Anyone suggest a good TCAS for this beauty ?Fanally well done to the original developers and thanks to those who have got this forum running and have taken the trouble to post llinks to files / repaints etc.If i can add to this forum by posting ADEU files for the CIVA I will.Peter

I've just came across this file after i heard about it from someone in my VA, as the aircraft is used on our cargo routes, i'd like to express my thanks and deep gratitude to Chris & Ralph for their hard work and passion for the hobby that we all enjoy. I find it hard to believe that they received next to nothing for their efforts, everyone wether company or persons, that create software for FS aleast have the oppurtunity to make some money from their product. Even if their product is hosted on illegal sites, aleast there are always a loyal customer base that supports them and will always pay for their product. It makes me sick that they received nothing for this beautiful piece. If i ever am rich, or win the lotto, i will make sure that i find these guys and pay them a token of gratitude. until then, Thankyou so much for the hours of pleasure and enjoyment this lovely plane will give me, and has given everyone who uses her. may it go down in FS history and im sure it will as being a generous gift, i will keep this plane as part of my fleet for aslong as it works, which i hope is along time, (im not planning on upgrading to FSX anytime soon anyway :( ) and when i use this plane online i will credit the authors for all to see.P.S, if anyone knows Chris & Ralph personally, please pass on my message.Thanks also to the guys from Civa INS for their hard workBest Regards James

@Gianfranco The 'Queen' is the 747. The Queen of the Skies!But, also, though I'm an American, I wish Queen Elizabeth a long life as well.@Peter There is a nice 767-style TCAS/VSI combo gauge in the 2004 gauges directory. If you have FS Panel Studio you can just swap the original with this one, install the invisible "ghost" logic instrument (required), and also replace the stock Transponder with the one included in the package, you will have a perfectly functioning TCAS/VSI with adjustable range.If you need help, let me know.

@Gianfranco The 'Queen' is the 747. The Queen of the Skies!But, also, though I'm an American, I wish Queen Elizabeth a long life as well.@Peter There is a nice 767-style TCAS/VSI combo gauge in the 2004 gauges directory. If you have FS Panel Studio you can just swap the original with this one, install the invisible "ghost" logic instrument (required), and also replace the stock Transponder with the one included in the package, you will have a perfectly functioning TCAS/VSI with adjustable range.If you need help, let me know.
Ok thanks for that. I will have a go when i get some time.

..........There is a nice 767-style TCAS/VSI combo gauge in the 2004 gauges directory. If you have FS Panel Studio you can just swap the original with this one, install the invisible "ghost" logic instrument (required), and also replace the stock Transponder with the one included in the package, you will have a perfectly functioning TCAS/VSI with adjustable range............
Hi 'rightseat' (do you have a real name? :( )I'm interested - but there doesn't appear to be a default gauge fitting your description. Could you give some more info please?best regardsRick CanhamSouth Australia

Hi 'rightseat' (do you have a real name? :( )I'm interested - but there doesn't appear to be a default gauge fitting your description. Could you give some more info please?best regardsRick CanhamSouth Australia
In the library under FS9 gauges. "TCAS II v7 IVSI and Transponder" I have got it installed now with the transponder.

In the library under FS9 gauges. "TCAS II v7 IVSI and Transponder" I have got it installed now with the transponder.
OK, thanks - as I suspected it is Lee Hetherington's excellent TCAS package. What confused me was the references to "2004 gauges directory" and "in the library under FS9 gauges". What library or directory? On any FS9 installation this gauge will only be there if you have put it there.................or am I missing something?Anyway, don't mean to nitpick - it's a very good modification to do.best regardsRick CanhamSouth Australia

I mean it is found in the AVSIM file library. I had to download it and follow the instal instructions.

Just to jump in here a little. I worked with Chris in the support area for about 2 years and I was fortunate enough to try out a "beta" of the new 747-200 he was developing for FS9 and FSX. This is no secret and was discussed in great detail on the old forums. I still have some screenshots of the 747 in FSX. But I'm not going to post them and please don't ask for them.What Chris had to deal with, on a development level, was, in short, insulting. I don't really think Chris knows what kind of genius he really is. He created things for the 747-200 in FS2000 and 2002 that were unheard of at the time. Not even PMDG could touch him.The reward for his efforts was very, very little. In every aspect. And to top it off, there was that huge mess with Flight 1 selling the RFP 747-200. I had a long, 1 hour chat with Flight 1's CEO about it and he explained to me Flight 1's position in all of this. I made it clear that I was not involved in the main development area of the 747, that I just helped out with support and some light testing of the new 747.Aside from all that, the fact that Chris has continued to provide support, even up until 10 years after the initial release, and, I think 4 years after it was made freeware, shows what kind of generosity he is capable of. We all know he is not obliged to provide support for a product that is now freeware. Flight 1 provides support for the payware version they sell.IMHO, he has gone far beyond the call of duty and deserves far more recognition than what he has received.Hopefully, the A380 he is working on at nextlevel simulations, will more than make up for it.Goran

Just to jump in here a little. I worked with Chris in the support area for about 2 years and I was fortunate enough to try out a "beta" of the new 747-200 he was developing for FS9 and FSX. This is no secret and was discussed in great detail on the old forums. I still have some screenshots of the 747 in FSX. But I'm not going to post them and please don't ask for them............................................................Goran
So do we take it that a "new" RFP is not going to happen?I'm sure a majority of us appreciates very much the genius of Chris Koegler and the work that has been put in by him and others, including you, on RFP and its support.Rick Canham

So do we take it that a "new" RFP is not going to happen?I'm sure a majority of us appreciates very much the genius of Chris Koegler and the work that has been put in by him and others, including you, on RFP and its support.Rick Canham
Chris has been busy working on another project for a while. Many of the RFP supporters would know he is helping out at Next Level Simulations. What I do know is the old mdl for the 747-200 was extremely difficult to work with in FSX and there was "talk" of it being built from the ground up.With the SP/100/200/300 series he was developing, afaik, it is "on hold". We have exchanged an email here and there but nothing really of interest to the average simmer. It's entirely possible he will continue to develop it after his current project at NLS, but only he can answer that question.Goran

Yes, thank you Chris for all your help, knowledge, and skills!I find myself still flying a couple of legs with this old beauty every week. It's a unique gem, and my all time favourit aircraft.I cross my fingers and hope to see your latest 742 creation some day.MkgaLh-Fl_8r.jpg

Yes Chris, thank you for everything. It meant a lot for you to give me an opportunity to join the elite group of RFP'ers a few months ago. Finish up that NLS big bus and get to work on that classic lady of yours! :( Regards,Brennan

Yes, thank you Chris for all your help, knowledge, and skills!I find myself still flying a couple of legs with this old beauty every week. It's a unique gem, and my all time favourit aircraft.I cross my fingers and hope to see your latest 742 creation some day.MkgaLh-Fl_8r.jpg
Just love the look of that VIP panel - can't someone sell me one while we wait for a possible replacement?????:Whistle: best regardsRick CanhamKanga

Hey Chris,Your work is great. I bought the RFP about 2 weeks before you uploaded onto AVSIM and you know what I have absolutely no regrets. I think you should be renumerated for this work.Phillip

I know for sure the sales numbers would be off the charts of a RFP for FSX, with the new options that operators are using like LCD tape gauges, a highly detailed VC, basic FMS, -100,-100F,-200,-200F,200SUD,-300,-300F, etc, and an easy repaint kit. It is too bad the project is on hold. Also too bad in real life they are slowly being scrapped. Long live the original Queen!!

IMO it would be great to see a Litton 72 or 92 instead of a modern FMS, I've never seen a Litton INS in FS ever to be honest.

And no word from him!!I thought that Ralph released it as freeware? anyhow.. lets hope a developer picks up the 742 to bring everything up to todays standards, since the RFP has a lot not working right.. was great then, but now its procedure vs actual.Johan