Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Installing FS2004 and Keeping FS2002 on the Same Drive

Guest JohnN

Hi,For those of you who have installed FS2004. Have you installed it 'Over' your previous version or just put it in its own Folder? Also, if you've kept both versions, can you fly each one independantly without problems?I guess I should also ask if you found it necessary to delete (or possibly completely rename) your previous version before installing the new one.In any case, I'd appreciate your help on this becasuse - as you might expect - I can't wait to install mine when it comes and would like to keep FS2002 available until I get the next one where I want it.Thanx, John

At one time I had FS98/FS2000/FS2002 and FS2004 on my hardrive. Each installation has its own default folder structure:drive:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002drive:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9Therefore, it is not necessary to uninstall or overwrite an existing installation. When you do get FS2004 installed, you will soon uninstall FS2002. Just make sure you use the Device Manager, Add/Remove Menu to uninstall the programs properly.Just make sure you have sufficient hardrive space (~2.5GB) available to install FS2004. Otherwise, you may need to uninstall/delete/move some files or programs elsewhere.W. Sieffert

Guest JohnN

Hi Wseiffert,Thanx for the response. That is the best news I've heard in a long time. I hope a lot of other guys get to read your message.Regards, John

Any complications with the new DX9a that is auto-installed with FS2004 on the existing FS2002??? Should I install the DX9b first before FS2004?Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

Hi Michael,If you install DX 9.0b first, then the FS9/FS2004 installer should auto-detect that you have a more recent version and will bypass that routine. Microsoft's installers are pretty good in that they should not overwrite more recent files, so your DX 9.0b installation will be safe.If you have Windows XP just remember to create a Restore Point prior to making any major system changes - the installation/upgrading of DX is just that and if it all goes pear shaped you need to be able to restore to an earlier point quickly and painlessly.If you don't have XP but have either W98, Windows ME or 2000 I can highly recommend 'WinRescue' which is also very easy to use. Used it on countless occasions with Windows 98 and it never let me down. Just make sure you purchase the correct version!http://superwin.com/Mike :-wave