Sign in to follow this  
kev4242

Ultimate Terrain USA

Hi all,I am considering purchasing Ultimate Terrain USA, but have a couple of quick questions before I part with the cash. I am aware that lots of the original FS2004 landmarks are placed incorrectly when UT is installed due to the high degree of accuracy that UT gives, and I know that there is an option in the config tool of UT to remove these landmarks. Does this make the FS world look depleted? For example is New York just a city of autogen rather than having recognisable buildings? After doing some researching about this I came across the QLRP4UT programme. Do people who use UT use this and what the advantages and drawbacks of doing this? Finally, do you find that other freeware add on scenery still works well with UT. E.g. the majority of airports are still on land and not in water!?Thanks for any help/advice and apologies if there are some obvious questions, just wanted to get any last advice before I take the plunge. Kev

My experience -I have UT USA and had it installed for quite some time. I also used the QLRP4UT addon as this corrected quite a number of items. I believe many feel this is a "must have" if you use UT.My machine had to be redone several months ago due to a nasty computer virus attack and I have not re-installed UT this time.The only real drawback and the reason I have not re-installed it is that I have a great many "favorite" addon sceneries which were designed to be used in the default setting only. With UT installed, many of them do not display properly - shorelines in UT have been corrected etc. and water now encroaches where it did not in the default setup - as an example.One good feature is that you can easily revert back to the default with just a few mouse clicks.If I did not have so many favorite scenery enhancements I would re-install it in a flash.All in all I would say go for it. I don't think you will be dissapointed.Just my 2 cents worth.

I think the guy who was doing QLRP4UT now is included in UTX versions, but it is still a stand-alone addon for FS9. It isn't that hard to replicate the product yourself, but time consuming. For other addons, usually there is a tip-off when an addon says it is for default scenery, but I would say that most addon scenery is designed to be compatible with UT.scott s..

Could you guys be a little more specific about which of these addons are? Also what about the IMHO most major drawback of UT USA that is the reduction of autogen due to nightlighting and the roadsystem?Alex

Thanks to all. I've read a few comments about the reduction of autogen with the 3d lights. Sounds like I will go for it and used the QLRP4UT tool/enhancement as well. Thanks!Kev

Guest simmer9304

I don't believe too many addons are incompatible and almost all payware scenery is compatible. There really aren't that many drawbacks I've had it for a while, it was the first addon I purchased and I'd have to say it's very pleasing to have the entire country covered with little to no performance impact

I have never understood just what UT does. Does it make the "ground" look differant that the "default" ground or does it take the place of a program like Ground Environment Pro or other "ground scenery" programs? Thanks jerrycwo4

I have never understood just what UT does. Does it make the "ground" look differant that the "default" ground or does it take the place of a program like Ground Environment Pro or other "ground scenery" programs? Thanks jerrycwo4
Hello JerryUT gives more accurate coastlines, lakes, rivers and other things such as 3d nightlighting , landclass ectHave a read here: http://www.scenerysolutions.com/ut_fs9_usa.html and checkout the coastlines compared to default

It does make the ground look different by displaying more details, in particular Highways streets roads and rivers, parks golf courses etc.It also adds night lights along those roads so that at night you see what appear to be street lights lined up with the city streets. UT in combination with Ground Enviornment Pro will dramatically change the look of FS9. Well worth it IMO.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

So you are saying that UT enhances GE Pro and it does NOT replace GE Pro? When I look out of my aircraft's window at the ground, it will look "better" or more real like than it does now that I ONLY have GE Pro ( and some mesh) installed ? jerrycwo4

Jerry,With UT, all your coastlines, rivers, and lakes will be much more intricately and accurately detailed, eliminating that "squared-off" look that's so unnatural. Even for this one reason alone, UT is a must-have for me.John