Sign in to follow this  
phmcr

W7 turns to basic color set when starting FSX

Hi,When I load FSX, I get a message in my toolbar that my system is now turning to the basic color set as the application is not capable of running the genuine W7 colorset.Hmm, well ok, nothing else happens and all runs well. Still I wonder, can I fix that?I am especially interested since I notice that switching to programs running in the background, the screen needs a sec or two. Recently I have added FSCommander to help me forget FSNavigator and it is a great tool. But it has difficulties when I switch from FSX to it. Now I can imagine it uses the true W7 color set so that might be the cause. Also, when returning to FSX, the screen is back in windowed mode, although it is set to be full screen.Well, I hope someone can help me out here.Thanks,Menno C. Roberti7, 4Gb RAM, nVidia 240GTX, 2048x1152 monitor

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

What you are describing is perfectly normal and there is no "genuine" or "true color set" in W7. The W7 effects that you are referring to is called the Aero Desktop. FSX uses DirectX and so does the W7 Aero Desktop. W7 automatically turns off the Aero Desktop when you run FSX. That is why you see the message that it is returning to the Basic color scheme. Nothing to fix as that is just the way that it works. The Aero Desktop is optional and can be turned off permanently by selecting the Basic theme but either way when you run FSX the Aero Desktop has to be turned off.As for your second problem if you are running FSX full screen then how are you switching to FS Commander? ALT-TAB? If so then sometimes when you switch back to FSX it may just revert to a window.Todd

What you are describing is perfectly normal and there is no "genuine" or "true color set" in W7. The W7 effects that you are referring to is called the Aero Desktop. FSX uses DirectX and so does the W7 Aero Desktop. W7 automatically turns off the Aero Desktop when you run FSX. That is why you see the message that it is returning to the Basic color scheme. Nothing to fix as that is just the way that it works. The Aero Desktop is optional and can be turned off permanently by selecting the Basic theme but either way when you run FSX the Aero Desktop has to be turned off.As for your second problem if you are running FSX full screen then how are you switching to FS Commander? ALT-TAB? If so then sometimes when you switch back to FSX it may just revert to a window.Todd
Clear answer Todd, thank you!Menno

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5