Sign in to follow this  

A message of tears...

Please read this and think about it, because I really need help...The aftershocks of September 11 are still being felt in my heart, and in the heart of many other Americans. However, for me, it is different. You see, I am Arab, Muslim, Jordanian, and American. Bad combination wouldn't you say? I love flying. Flying has been in my very heart and soul ever since I could walk. By age 5 I could tell apart all the different Boeing Aircraft. When I was 10 I took my first flying lesson, and the joy of flight has been sealed in my soul forever. Yet, on 9/11/2001, terrorists highjacking the peaceful word of Islam, crashed four civillian airliners into symbols of American Pride, thus causing a loss of life which to this very day shatters my very soul.My dream to become a commerical pilot has been with me since I was very little, and only recently have I realized that it all might be impossible. My father came to me today and told me that I can not be a pilot, as a career that is. He said that I would not be able to make it, and that because of my race, and religious beleifs, I would have a very hard time in finding a job, let alone get into an Aviation College like the University of North Dakota. My heart fell to the floor, when my dreams of becoming a commerical pilot were shattered. This would could be so unfair. I am only 17, and still I have much to learn. Yet, this is all too much for my young heart, soul and mind to take. There are over 100,000 Arab pilots in this world, and all it took was 8 to shatter my dream, and the dreams of over 2,000 innocent people. I have not a single clue on what my chances are of being a commerical pilot in the United States. I am very scared to write what I am writing right now, but the only family i feel i have is this one, the one in the flight sim community. My computer seems to be the only aircraft i can fly today, since I can not go out in the real world and do what I do best. I want to be a pilot so bad, and all this just doesn't help. It's like having your dream right infront of you, but you know you can not reach it, because there is mirror infront of you showing you why you can't have it, because you are you, something you can not help. I just don't know what I can do, my father is not a pilot, and I know that there are many real world commerical pilots here, and I just don't know what I can do. I feel as if the whole world is against me and I have nothing going for me, except the tears coming out of my eyes as I am writing this. Please, any help would be appriciated...Mahmoud A. Fadli17 Year Old Arab Jordanian/American Muslim Flying Studentmaki@asquaref.com

Hi Mahmoud,I have sent you an e-mail to the address provided, I also hope some other readers will offer advice.With Kindest RegardsAndy

Don't worry!Be of good heart and character! Life in this material world is very fleeting. Study hard and get the best education possible.Now then, Do not stop trying to do what you want in your career.You will become a commercial pilot. Set your heart & mind on this goal. There will be times when it seems everything is against you, but persevere and you will have the success that you so richly deserve.

Hi Mahmoud,I have some close friends of Middle Eastern descent, so I can appreciate where you are coming from, but I cannot feel where you are coming from as I am of European ancestry.I am going to give you both my dreams of a view and then my advice. I hope not to offend you in any way, as this is just my opinion.I was born in 1965, and I am 37 years old. I am a licensed PP-ASEL, a veteran of The United States Marine Corps, and I came from humble beginnings to say the least.My heritage is as follows:I am 100% American, and I have some German, Irish, and Polish ancestry in my blood lines. That is the first problem we have in this country. I believe being an American by birth or Citizenship is both an obligation and a responsibility. It does not mean you have to agree with everything that happens in the United States, as those that know me know I am not shy about sharing my feelings.It is hypocrisy in my opinion to have anyone say they are this or that. I am not a German, Polish, Irish American, I am either White, or Caucasion, and to be honest, that offends me the same as other races feel offended. I just feel that others have an agenda when they list their heritage first. It offends me. Even you listed American last.Why is this so?If you are an American, IMHO, you should list that first. It is my dream that in 1000 years, our country will be so blended that there will be no racism, just Americans as our founding fathers in our constitution wanted.Equality and Freedom come with Citizenship, and that is why we are such hodgepodge of heritage. It is what has worked as the longest operation of a democracy in a Republic.I feel sorry for you and your Dad's feelings, but reality says those feelings may be part of the problem rather than the solution.If a person's heart is not into being an American, then I'm sorry, there is the door, because I am tired of hearing the whining.Be proud of your heritage as I am proud of mine, but try not to let it define your life. If it does, that's ok, but there will be repercussions in that style. This is by no means conformity in the truest of definitions but responsible citizenship at its core.I could write a book on this subject but the main idea is to get over all the I'm this race, I'm that race. Does it really matter. I just feel it doesn't define a person, but your actions do define you.I raise my kids as Americans, not German, Irish, Polish, Luthuanian, Scottish, French, and Welsh that they are. I'm a Mutt, my kids are mutts, and I am proud of that. The sooner we as a nation realize this, then we can grow.********************************Don't let 19 Morons shatter your dream.Now, with that said:Tell your Dad to go fly a kite. He has no business shattering your dreams. read this next sentance over and over until it sinks in:"If I believe it, I will achieve it"Your dream, like many others, will be reality if you want it bad enough. Take flight lessons, and go to college.Make applications at every collegiate flight school you can apply to. Show your Dad this is your dream, not his. At 17 you need to share your joy with your Dad. Go take a flight in a GA plane with your Dad. Let him see your desire, your happiness, your joy, and your Love. Tell him you love him, but tell him you also have a right to follow your heart and your dreams.You see, that is the greatest gift our forefathers gave us. The freedom to make choices to control our own destiny. Mahmoud, this is just a minor detail in your long life. It is nothing but a blip on the Radar screen, so don't let it affect you to a great extent. Yes, it hurts, but life hurts from time to time, and we cope by rising above the Challenges that life gives us. When it hurts, try harder, work harder, and be proud that you are pursuing your dreams.Best of Luck to you,Joe :-wavehttp://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Thank you joe, and everyone who responded. Just to clear things up, nothing was meant by putting the American part of my herritage at the end. I am very proud to be an American, always have been. But I must not forget who I am, and where I come from as well. I thank you all, and I will take the advice you have given me very seriously.Mahmoud