Sign in to follow this  
northridge

3Gb switch - which Windows XP version?

Short flight with system crashes on final all seem to have been caused by multiple Afcads.I am still getting OOMs at the end of long fllights so it looks like I really do need the 3Gb switch.But - I see in the Wikipedia entry that the switch only works with XP Pro or higher. Is this right? Has anyone done it with Home (SP3) ?

Short flight with system crashes on final all seem to have been caused by multiple Afcads.I am still getting OOMs at the end of long fllights so it looks like I really do need the 3Gb switch.But - I see in the Wikipedia entry that the switch only works with XP Pro or higher. Is this right? Has anyone done it with Home (SP3) ?
HelloWorked fine for me when I was on XP32 home sp3Just download the file below to patch your exe if you are running FS9 or FSX pre SP2Then add /3GB /userva=2560 to your boot.inihere is mine, yours my differ depending on how your disks are configuredmulti(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Home" /fastdetect /3GB /userva=2560 /NoExecute=OptInhttp://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php4GB PatchDate: 29/11/2007 Author: Daniel PistelliThis very little tool patches x86 executables in order to let them have 4GB (instead of only 2) of virtual memory on x64 platforms. This tool comes very handy for applications which need a great amount of virtual memory like games, 3D renderization, multimedia etc. To gain these 2GB, you just have to use this tool to patch the executable (*.exe file) of the software you want to have these additional GBs of virtual memory. It can be used by clicking on it and choosing the file or through command line (e.g.: "4gb_patch file.exe"). It automatically creates a backup copy of the original executable.

Guest jahman

FSX SP2/Acceleration automatically set the memory switch as appropriate.Since you should fly with SP2 or Accel anyway, there is no need to ever set the memory switch yourself.Cheers,- jahman.

FSX SP2/Acceleration automatically set the memory switch as appropriate.Since you should fly with SP2 or Accel anyway, there is no need to ever set the memory switch yourself.Cheers,- jahman.
HelloFSX SP2/Accel are as you rightly pointed out already >2gb awareBut if you read the OP he is specifically asking about XP32 home which does need the boot.ini switch in order to see the memory above3.25 gb, the two go together.Cheers,

If you are running on a 32bit OS, you must set the memory switch manually as described by mad dog. SP2/Acceleration does not set the 3GB switch within the OS. In SP2/Acceleration the fsx.exe was changed and a flag set which allows FSX to address >2GB of RAM. Originally FSX was only allowed to address 2GB of RAM.

Guest jahman

mad dog, sargeski,My apologies! Indeed it is as you say.I have run FSX on Vista-64 for many moons so I tend to forget others may still be using a 32-bit OS.Cheers,- jahman.

And I have to apologise to you all - I should have said and didn`t - FS9 SP1.The Wikipedia article said that some users had trouble with the system not booting after installing the switch, and recommended putting a second instance of the OS in the .ini file: on startup it will always give me the two choices so if the switched OS doesnt boot I can always fall back on the original. Have you done that?Interesting though how so many presumed I ran FSX. Nicholas

And I have to apologise to you all - I should have said and didn`t - FS9 SP1.The Wikipedia article said that some users had trouble with the system not booting after installing the switch, and recommended putting a second instance of the OS in the .ini file: on startup it will always give me the two choices so if the switched OS doesnt boot I can always fall back on the original. Have you done that?Interesting though how so many presumed I ran FSX. Nicholas
HelloI have put in more than one instance when I was testing the USERVA value.set the time out to a reasonable value to give yourself a chance to select the line you want.Here is what I ended up with[boot loader]timeout=2default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS[operating systems]C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdconsmulti(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Home" /fastdetect /3GB /userva=2560 /NoExecute=OptIn

Thanks for replying so fast - are you in my timezone or just a non-sleeper? (North East Brasil)Just to get this straight before I try anything:I copy and paste the section that is already there, and alter the second instance to include the switch and the timeout.My timeout currently is at 30.Nicholas

Thanks for replying so fast - are you in my timezone or just a non-sleeper? (North East Brasil)Just to get this straight before I try anything:I copy and paste the section that is already there, and alter the second instance to include the switch and the timeout.My timeout currently is at 30.Nicholas
Helloyes copy the section, the timeout at the second line of boot.ini is global, the boot screen will just wait 30s for you to choose.Also change the text in second entry WINDOWS="Windows XP Home" to reflect the difference ie WINDOWS="Windows XP Home 3GB switch"then you will know which one to choose.****MUST READ*****Some useful info here on how to do all of this from within windows including setting the timeout and default operating systemhttp://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/bootini.htm

Just run the 4Gb patch and get this result: a file which reads 4Gb_patch.exe Backup and a dialogue saying "Couldn`t open executable".Is this right?Nicholas

Just run the 4Gb patch and get this result: a file which reads 4Gb_patch.exe Backup and a dialogue saying "Couldn`t open executable".Is this right?Nicholas
Hello Nicholas make sure that your FS9.exe is not read only : right click > properties > general tab

4GB PatchDate: 29/11/2007 Author: Daniel PistelliThis very little tool patches x86 executables in order to let them have 4GB (instead of only 2) of virtual memory on x64 platformsAre we on the right track here?I am confused as to why this is the 4 GB patch and not the 3 GB.Also my system is 32bit.Has there been some mixup of thinking?Nicholas

4GB PatchDate: 29/11/2007 Author: Daniel PistelliThis very little tool patches x86 executables in order to let them have 4GB (instead of only 2) of virtual memory on x64 platformsAre we on the right track here?I am confused as to why this is the 4 GB patch and not the 3 GB.Also my system is 32bit.Has there been some mixup of thinking?Nicholas
HelloThese modifications have nothing to do with normal memory as such, rather they address the problems of insufficient virtual address space.Out of 4GB 32bit apps (FS9) can normally address the Low 2GB while the HIGH 2GB is reserved for the system.The 3GB boot.ini entry allows 32bit apps (FS9) to address the LOW 3GB with the HIGH 1GB reserved for the system, so more address space for FS9.But not just yet.In order for FS9 to access this extra address space it needs its header modified to mark it as >2gb aware in order to access the addresses >2GB until the 3GB mark everything above is reserved for the system.Now all that being said your graphics card Vram is also mapped into this LOW 3GB and this is where the USERVA setting comes inThese mods are what many of us have had to do to address the OOM errorsA 64bit OS does not need the 3GB boot.ini edit but will still need the FS9.exe marking >2GB aware.Your 32 bit OS needs both.Please read this from Phil Taylor Ex ACES and DirectX teams.http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...ress-space.aspxThen download CFexplorer from the same site as the previous toolcopy FS9.exe to your desktop and open it in CFexplorer the make the exe >2gb aware