Sign in to follow this  
northridge

3Gb switch - which Windows XP version?

Good daySuccessfully patched the .exe file and added a new instance to the .ini file thus:[boot loader]timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect[boot loader]timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 3gb switch" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect/3GB /userva=2560 /NoExecute=OptInbut - didn

Good daySuccessfully patched the .exe file and added a new instance to the .ini file thus:[boot loader]timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect[boot loader]timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 3gb switch" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect/3GB /userva=2560 /NoExecute=OptInbut - didn

Thank you so much for your patience in explaining these steps. I see that you are also helping out another user in another post with the same problems in understanding how this thing works.I was hoping to bring you good news this morning after a 7 hour flight but no such luck. I have "awared" the .exe file and got the .ini file right and have 30 seconds to choose the boot, so set off from KJFK in the MD11 to LSZH, just me, the plane and the scenery on the Server pc and ASA, RC, REX and FSCommander on the Client laptop. The first flight ended after two hours because I am an idiot: I closed FS by mistake! I mean - honestly!On the second flight I had just been passed over to Gander when "bong", a whole long load (really, endless) of scenery cache errors: just endless obscure files missing from payware sceneries, in Canada, Brasil, Mallorca, Tunisia - which is where I gave up clicking on each error message and unplugged the pc.Thing is, I messed with my FS between the two flights - installing DBS Airport GPS onto the Server, which involves running a database, and which I later saw in forums has caused some users some problems. Of course I am not saying that this is what caused the problem. I should have left things alone before trying a new flight. And no, I didnt create a restore point: I am one of the millions of self-taight pc users who found out things the hard way and never learned the right routines.But - putting the 3GB switch apart for a moment - have you any idea what might cause these scenery cache errors? And they were silly files - docking, grass etc - a couple in one scenery, lots in another. I have never ever had this error before.

Thank you so much for your patience in explaining these steps. I see that you are also helping out another user in another post with the same problems in understanding how this thing works.I was hoping to bring you good news this morning after a 7 hour flight but no such luck. I have "awared" the .exe file and got the .ini file right and have 30 seconds to choose the boot, so set off from KJFK in the MD11 to LSZH, just me, the plane and the scenery on the Server pc and ASA, RC, REX and FSCommander on the Client laptop. The first flight ended after two hours because I am an idiot: I closed FS by mistake! I mean - honestly!On the second flight I had just been passed over to Gander when "bong", a whole long load (really, endless) of scenery cache errors: just endless obscure files missing from payware sceneries, in Canada, Brasil, Mallorca, Tunisia - which is where I gave up clicking on each error message and unplugged the pc.Thing is, I messed with my FS between the two flights - installing DBS Airport GPS onto the Server, which involves running a database, and which I later saw in forums has caused some users some problems. Of course I am not saying that this is what caused the problem. I should have left things alone before trying a new flight. And no, I didnt create a restore point: I am one of the millions of self-taight pc users who found out things the hard way and never learned the right routines.But - putting the 3GB switch apart for a moment - have you any idea what might cause these scenery cache errors? And they were silly files - docking, grass etc - a couple in one scenery, lots in another. I have never ever had this error before.
HelloGlad you got the boot.ini sorted out, you now have the safety net of your original settings to boot too and CFF explorer or the 4GB tool (whichever you used) has made a backup of your FS9.exe so any issues you can at least revert back.With your problems on your recent flight I would start by renaming the dbs.aptGPS9.dll in the \modules folderthat will take DBS gps out of the equation.The only way to track down these errors is by a process of elimination, these are just a few things to try one by oneRe fly the flight again using a different aircraft, if you have the same errors then pull up task manager and check FS9's memory usage at this point.If it has risen by a large amount then suspect a scenery file is causing a problem.Scan for duplicate Afcads using ScanAFD.Check for any sceneries that may have an empty texture folder.Turn off all sceneries that are not needed for the flight, I have my sceneries ordered by geographical area's and use SCM2004 (a great tool) to enable/disable these and even cut and paste whole sections out of the scenery.cfg when diagnosing errors.Sceneries giving errors can literally be hundreds of miles away from the area you are in at the moment of crash.http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...&DLID=45936Using windows search scan for all Scenery.dat files and delete them, the will be rebuilt next time you run the simTurn off your Ai to test , a missing texture on an ai aircraft can cause no end of problems.Always be suspicious of landclass files, disable them and test.If your video card has a large amount of memory you may have to tune the USERVA setting for best results the 2560 setting is for cards with 768mbAdd more lines to your boot.ini so you can test different settings256MB /userva=3072 (ie, 3GB)512MB /userva=2816768MB /userva=25601024MB /userva=2304All this will take a lot of time and patience but its great fun (isn't it?)

I removed Airport GPS and that particular problem has not re-ocurred. That program will get sorted out - or not - when the bigger picture is resolved.Alas I am still unable to report a sucessful long flight with complex plane and scenery. The last two attempts were spoilt by CTDs - the first when I was still taxiing nd the second after four hours of flight, with a g3dll error (at least thats what I managed to glean from the Msoft gobbldygook that showed up). Prolly a scenery or Afcad error cos it said it was submitting the FS9 and scenery .cfgs.Yawn Are you getting tired of this? I am. RegardsNicholas

Guest jahman
I removed Airport GPS and that particular problem has not re-ocurred....Yawn Are you getting tired of this? I am.
Check you have Airport GPS v. 1.3, as it might solve some of your problems.I agree, me too am getting tired of all the bugs, CTDs, lack of FSX updates, Videocard bugs etc. as I tend to spend more time maintaining my FSX setup than flying,and whenever I want to show a friend how this stuff works, well, it doesn't work.Cheers,- jahman.

After walking away from FS for more than a month I finally bit the bullet and set myself a long flight, and I am glad to report that I sucessfully completed LSZH-SBGL in the MD11 without a hitch.It looks like the 3Gb switch is doing its job and I thank all of you who contributed to helpng me out in this and a previous post. :( Nicholas