Sign in to follow this  
Guest stranex

Newbie query!

Guest stranex

Hi all,Well after receiving very cold feedback to my original post regarding running FS on a Mac, I went the PC route and have just finished building my rig (i7 860 OC 3.9GHz, Super OC GTX260, Win7)Yesterday I loaded up FS2004 and made the tweaks called for in Nicks excellent guide. I also downloaded a trial copy of UK2000 Heathrow scenery just to try and give the machine something to do! However, with most sliders to the right and Nicks settings in the cfg file I was getting an almost static 60fps flying around Heathrow in the C172 (substantially more when pointing at the sky of course!). I'm not sure what I was expecting really but seeing as similar setups get good fps in FSX I (maybe wrongly) presumed I would be able to acheive more than 60fps in FS9? Don't get me wrong, 60fps is great and I guess (?) I wouldn't see the benefit of anything higher as my screen is only set to 60Hz at 1980x1020? I guess I'd just like to know if 60fps sounds about right for my setup or if I'm missing something? As I'd like to add all the "whistle and bells" add ons at some stage and maybe FSX, I'd like to make sure I have the setup optimised first and am getting the max fps (even if I wont see the benefit at present)Thanks in advance for any insight, answers, tips etc......only my 2nd post but I've learnt so much by reading this forum already

I think I remember your post about FS on a Mac. I do it too, but find even FS2004 to be too laggy, actually, for what I want to do with it. I got 40FPS when all on default, but sitting on the NL2000 scenery at night, with lots of AI, REX and the PMDG 747, I'm lucky to have between 8 and 15 FPS. So, in that respect, I think you made a good choice. The 60FPS you have now is with mostly default stuff, right? Well, it's good enough, sure, but I am too a bit surprised you get nothing higher... Alas, I'm not sure if I can be of much help, but try to switch off Windows 7 services and close all kidns of background tasks, although I'm quite you've tried that already using Nick's guide...

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Guest stranex

Thanks Benjamin,I've not tried switching off background processes as I didn't think it would make much difference on what I deem to be a fairly high spec rig! I will give it a try and report back (oh and yes, everything's default save the UK2000 EGLL scenery)

Guest stranex

Ok, just tried with Norton Secuirty switched off and only very minor processes running and no change :-( Interestingly, no matter where I point the plane (blue sky or detailed EGLL) I get almost EXACTLY the same fps...60. It fluctuates very marginally between 59 and 60 and for a split sec seems to go up to the 100s when I point at the sky but almost immediately (less than 1/2 second) returns to 60....almost like it's pegged there even though I have no limit set in the settings?My CPU is hardly stressed at all at the temp on Core1 never get over 45 (72 is max at 100%) so it's not that. The GTX260 is the same...sits at 42C and the fan doesn't even come on indicating it's not maxed out.Anyone any ideas as to why the fps are seemingly so "static"?

So, let's make this clear: You ALWAYS have around 59~60FPS? It does not go OVER it, but does go UNDER 60 FPS? In that case, this is probably a frame lock you might want to remove. On the Hardware tab of the Display settings screen, there is a slider titled "Frame lock" please look at what FPS count it sits. If you find it at 60, you can try placing it all to the right (on "unlimited") and you'll see what your computer is really capable off.However, you might want it keep the frame lock, in the end, at 60. it will ensure you don't get those irritating FPS oscillations, and anyway the human brain can't see big differences in motion above 24FPS.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Guest stranex

Yep! Always 60fps but it does deviate up and down for split seconds.....it returns to 60 as soon as the plane levels off and I stop any inputs. Just to confirm....I have NO frame lock in the settings (it's set to unlimited)I've just tried changing various settings and sliders (moving them all to far left from far right for example) and also tried changing various options in the NVidia control panel but it sticks at 60 no matter what!It's a s though I have a frame rate lock set somewhere but like I say, it is set to unlimited. I changed it to 80 just to see what would happen but it still stayed at 60!Like you say....good that I'm ALWAYS getting 60 but I just want to know why?!?

Guest stranex

Just tried rebotting the system and flying out of a different airport (KSEA, all sliders to far right).....guess what? 60fps!!!Had a look in the cfg and saw this line;LOD_TARGET_FPS=100Is this ok? My frame rates are set to unlimited so wonder why this shows up in the cfg file?

If you used Nick's settings than most probably you have Vsync enabled in nvidia settings. You mentioned that your monitor has a 60 Hz refresh rate and Vsync does just that: ensures that your framerate does not exceed your monitors refresh thereby eliminating stutters. I see yours as the ideal situation. Getting 60 fps in any situation on a complex airport looks good to me. Do not even be surprised if your framerate decreases even a bit once you set some weather and load the airport with AI.I am pretty sure it is caused by Vsyinc and it is normal.Cheers,Alex

That sounds very probable. Check your monitor and the Vsync option, like Alex suggested. Otherwise, I have no idea.

Benjamin van Soldt

Guest stranex

Thanks Alex! Such a simple answer can't beleive we missed it and makes total sense!Disabled VSync and now getting 70-80fps at UK2000 EGLL and similar at KSEA with ALL sliders fully to the right.....very happy!!!Thanks Benjamin for your help also and like you say, I guess anything over about 30fps in indescernible to the eye anyway?Guess the next question is does anyone know what these figures would roughyl translate to in a "moderate" (ie, very fluid but average quality settings) in FSX? Don't want to spend out the money on that if it's going to start being noticeable to the eye with a fps under 25ish? Maybe I should just be happy and go and add on some scenery, PDMG JS41 etc and se how that affects FS9 first ;-)

Thanks Alex! Such a simple answer can't beleive we missed it and makes total sense!Disabled VSync and now getting 70-80fps at UK2000 EGLL and similar at KSEA with ALL sliders fully to the right.....very happy!!!Thanks Benjamin for your help also and like you say, I guess anything over about 30fps in indescernible to the eye anyway?Guess the next question is does anyone know what these figures would roughyl translate to in a "moderate" (ie, very fluid but average quality settings) in FSX? Don't want to spend out the money on that if it's going to start being noticeable to the eye with a fps under 25ish? Maybe I should just be happy and go and add on some scenery, PDMG JS41 etc and se how that affects FS9 first ;-)
You are welcome. However Vsync is generally not a bad thing so I would keep it engaged. The sim is usually markedly fuider with vsync on while turning it off might cause some texture tearing. I am not of the crowd that believes that anything under 24fps is undiscernable for the human eye. I consider myself no superhuman however I clearly discern between a framerate of 24 and a framerate of 50 or 60 with my clear preference being 60 of course :( You must decide for yourself.I am afraid the PMDG Js41 is for FSX only but I do suggest you try a PMDG aircraft at EGLL with some nastier cloud coverage.Cheers,Alex

Guest stranex

:-( Do you guys think 70-80fps with all sliders far right but no add ons is fair performance or should I still be searching for more? I could O/C the CPU a little more if I disable Hyper Threading which I beleive is of little use in FS9?

Your welcome. Concerning FSX, I can't really help... I only know that 45FPS in FS9 for me resulted in about 24FPS in FSX (all default stuff and settings around high). My computer is 1,5 year old though...Not saying FPS over 24 is undiscernable to the human eye, but the difference isn't as pronounced. 24FPS is where the human eye actually starts seeing fluid motion instead of single frames. So up until 50FPS you probably can see various degrees of fluidness, but you will not see single frames.

Benjamin van Soldt

Your welcome. Concerning FSX, I can't really help... I only know that 45FPS in FS9 for me resulted in about 24FPS in FSX (all default stuff and settings around high). My computer is 1,5 year old though...Not saying FPS over 24 is undiscernable to the human eye, but the difference isn't as pronounced. 24FPS is where the human eye actually starts seeing fluid motion instead of single frames. So up until 50FPS you probably can see various degrees of fluidness, but you will not see single frames.
Thraini- Watch a hockey puck flash across the TV screen (30 FPS) and you can easily see the frame to frame motion. I believe it is accepted that frame to frame change is detectable by the human eye/brain combo up to a low 70s frame rate. Some years ago I read of a Hollywood experimental film demo for an audience of industry experts, who were actually fooled into thinking that a projected "technician in a lab coat, walking across the stage", was the real thing. It was running at low 70 frames and used extremely bright illumination of the film.Alex Reid