Sign in to follow this  

Better RAM: would I benefit...?

Right now I got rather cheap 10666 RAM (1333 Mhz, 9-9-9-20). I also have a i7 920 running at 3.3 right now (with stock cooler). I am thinking about getting better RAM, something like OCZ 3x2GB DDR3 PC10666 CL7.0 Platinum (7-7-7-20) or Corsair 3x2GB DDR3 PC12800 CL7 XMS3 Core i7 (7-8-7-20). Would I benefit from this...? Right now I am running the RAM at 1333: I suppose that when I leave my CPU as it is (at 3.3) the 1666 RAM will not really help, because it won't run any faster .. AFAIK I would have to let the CPU run faster in order to get the RAM run faster too, right...? But that would mean I'd need a good cooler for the CPU (and then I'd have to keep my fingers crossed if OC'ing it more would work...)In short: would better RAM make FSX run a bit better or not really? If not, would 1666 RAM make it possible to OC more...?

The 2nd set you listed is a good deal faster. You won't get any immediate benefit from swapping out the RAM unless you set the RAM speed higher in the BIOS.

Guest FlyingBits
Right now I got rather cheap 10666 RAM (1333 Mhz, 9-9-9-20). I also have a i7 920 running at 3.3 right now (with stock cooler). I am thinking about getting better RAM, something like OCZ 3x2GB DDR3 PC10666 CL7.0 Platinum (7-7-7-20) or Corsair 3x2GB DDR3 PC12800 CL7 XMS3 Core i7 (7-8-7-20). Would I benefit from this...? Right now I am running the RAM at 1333: I suppose that when I leave my CPU as it is (at 3.3) the 1666 RAM will not really help, because it won't run any faster .. AFAIK I would have to let the CPU run faster in order to get the RAM run faster too, right...? But that would mean I'd need a good cooler for the CPU (and then I'd have to keep my fingers crossed if OC'ing it more would work...)In short: would better RAM make FSX run a bit better or not really? If not, would 1666 RAM make it possible to OC more...?
Just another option to explore, invest in a good cooler so that you can run your I7 closer to 3.8-4Ghz and just drop the memory multi to keep it where it is. You'll spend less and see more benifit in FSX by bumping that CPU up a few notches compared to what that new ram would do for FSX.What dram voltage is the ram that you have now running at? Do you now what ram modules they are?

Just another option to explore, invest in a good cooler so that you can run your I7 closer to 3.8-4Ghz and just drop the memory multi to keep it where it is. You'll spend less and see more benifit in FSX by bumping that CPU up a few notches compared to what that new ram would do for FSX.What dram voltage is the ram that you have now running at? Do you now what ram modules they are?
It's Corsair 3x2GB DDR3 SDRAM PC10666 CL9.0 XMS3 and (if memory serves me well, I can't check right now) voltage is 1.5.For me plugin' in ram is a lot easier than getting a new cooler... AFAIK the coolers for my CPU and mobo (Gigabyte EX58-UD5) can only be build in with a bracket at the back of the mobo, which would mean I have to take the mobo completely out... I even read my mobo has some sort of cooling plate I'd have to remove first... And apart from that, I'm afraid I will crush the CPU or do something wrong with the coolerstuff/gel/whatever you have to put on it... In short: I don't dare to do it. :( And btw I am also afraid that after doing all that, I won't be able to OC my CPU more than I can now...

What O/S are your using and is it 32bit or 64bit?What case, motherboard and memory are you using?Note that your CPU will run cooler when hyper-threading is disabled.Check out some of the over-clocking forums for more advice.Try and find some reviews of the 920 with your motherboard ... if there are any take note of the other components used for testing.

Guest FlyingBits
It's Corsair 3x2GB DDR3 SDRAM PC10666 CL9.0 XMS3 and (if memory serves me well, I can't check right now) voltage is 1.5.For me plugin' in ram is a lot easier than getting a new cooler... AFAIK the coolers for my CPU and mobo (Gigabyte EX58-UD5) can only be build in with a bracket at the back of the mobo, which would mean I have to take the mobo completely out... I even read my mobo has some sort of cooling plate I'd have to remove first... And apart from that, I'm afraid I will crush the CPU or do something wrong with the coolerstuff/gel/whatever you have to put on it... In short: I don't dare to do it. :( And btw I am also afraid that after doing all that, I won't be able to OC my CPU more than I can now...
If you have a fair amount of air moving thru your case You can probably get away with bumping voltage to 1.6 and tightening the timings to 8-8-8-20-or-18, or keep the timings as they are and change the memory frequency multi to 1600.As far as what kind of increases you might see with different memory here are some benches that might help you:http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i...156,2482-8.html