Sign in to follow this  
gman!

My Holy Grail "Tweak"

My holy grail tweak... 2 CFGs. One I was using to eliminate the black screens/invisible textures I was getting with light bloom and stuff (With 4xAA, and Adaptive AA (Supersampling)), and one is just a CFG from FSX that only has one tweak.Yesterday I deleted my CFG and just let FSX do its thing and its running great, FPS is also great. I have not entered in the WideAspectView=True because it seems like it decreases your overall FPS and it would be very easy to just zoom out when its set to false. I have no more invisible textures/black screens so far as well. I was getting really great performance then I found that if I set the FSX affinity mask to run on the last two cores (Core 2 and 3) on my quad-core it is a whole lot smoother, and it seems like it keeps the other cores free for add-ons that may have complex avionics, use GDI+ or have processes/threads/fibers outside of FSX. Also believe it or not using a Fiber_Frame tweak I was able to get FSX to load smoothly on the two cores and it actually increased my FPS in some areas. So lets do an overview before I move on.*Deleted FSX.CFG*Ran FSX and set the settings I prefer.*Opened CFG and entered FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.66 AND AffinityMask=12 (Google both tweaks to find out how to enter them in the CFG)This next tweak was an old one I was using to eliminate the black screens/invisible textures and you can find it here.http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=271292...and I do not recommend setting Bufferpools to 0. It will cause graphical anomalies on many systems, even though in rare cases it may not for some, but if you want to test it, go ahead and try and swivel your view around outside very fast and see what happens. You will soon see trees and buildings and whatnot stretching into the sky for split seconds but will soon disappear. This causes my FPS to jump around erratically. Also if you set your bufferpools to 0 if your FPS is high, it will not be smooth at all, you will experience jumping when swiveling views and will also experience dropped frames.So in the end I recommend doing what I did at the top of the post and deleting the CFG and if you have a Quad Core, try the affinity mask tweak. Dual cores should only try the fiber_frame tweak.I apologize if this is not clear, or has an grammar/spelling errors, I typed it very fast.

I apologize if this is not clear, or has an grammar/spelling errors, I typed it very fast.
Interesting. In your excitement you have managed to type 2 paragraphs exactly identical to each other! :(
*Opened CFG and entered FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.66 AND AffinityMask=12 (Google both tweaks to find out how to enter them in the CFG)
I've read on numerous posts on the net that this tweak has no effect when using SP2. Are you running stock or SP1?

Interesting. In your excitement you have managed to type 2 paragraphs exactly identical to each other! :(
Haha, whoops. That's what happens when use copy and paste. :(

Also bear in mind, at least with me, when deleting the FSX.cfg and letting FSX generate a new one it also overwrites my control settings and sets them all back to default!Standard.xml in the \controls directory

Yep. That happened to me. Most annoying as in previous versions the control settings were in the cfg file and all you had to do is replace it with your backup. Now I have to backup the controls xml too.IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Guest UlfB

gman!This is wonderful news! One more Holy Grail and I have about 80 of them now. Time to share the Holy Grail I found on my own quest. If you experience low fps, a lot of shimmering, black screens or missing aircraft textures please follow these steps:

1. Exit FSX by pressing Ctrl + C. Don't save the flight and don't go back to FSX Main menu. Just exit FSX.
  2. Shut down your computer. Remove all cables and throw your computer in the nearest waste station.
  3. Go to your nearest computer part dealer and give them 7.000$ and order them to build you the fastest FSX computer ever built. Everything OC:ed and stable, even the keyboard should be OC:ed and liquid cooled.
  4. Install FSX RTM, SP1 and SP2/Acc.Pack. Make sure to start FSX after each install. Remove fsx.cfg and let FSX build a new one when your done with the installations.
  5. Go through Nick Needhams guide on how to tune your system and FSX. You'll find the guide here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041

During the summer I would advice you to repeat these steps since nVIDIA and Intel should have new hardware available and drivers should be stable at that time. Maybe you should offer your dealer 8.000$ for a new system build, but it's too early to predict the exact pricing of a high end computers suited for FSX.I must confess that I have no experience of the proposed Holy Grail :( But just give me the money and I'll build my experience and give you feedback on how it all turns out :(

Guest UlfB

Would it be a good idea to have a pinned topic "Holy Grail of the Week"? Then we could find all the Holy Grails that we need without having to search the forums.A couple of minutes ago I turned my TV off and my FPS in FSX jumped up from 22 FPS to 30+. I'll do some more testing (change channels) and report back, but it sure looks promising.

gman!One more Holy Grail and I have about 80 of them now[*]Install FSX RTM, SP1 and SP2/Acc.Pack. Make sure to start FSX after each install. Remove fsx.cfg and let FSX build a new one when your done with the installations.
These are the funniest lines to me :( Graham

-.- I wanted to make my own thread because the other "Holy Grail" thread was filled with mindless posts and a bunch of people that have no idea what there talking about. In this I keep FSX as stock as I can. The less tweaks the better.

Guest UlfB
These are the funniest lines to me :( Graham
Thanks Graham!If you have a graphic card with more than 1GB you might try to move your cell phone sim card data to the cell phone internal memory. In this way I managed to free up about 512KB of data from the sim card, which I then was able to add to my graphic card memory. I then increased my bufferpool with another 512KB. No stutters and a very fluid and smooth flight over JFK with 100% AI.If you have a NOKIA cell phone you have to first upgrade (or downgrade) the firmware to nX 3233.3343.753.0001.3333 AB 34222 build 23223223323 revision. Some simmers have reported that the nX 3233.3343.753.0001.3333 AB 34222 build 23223223322 revision is more stable if you use Win7 64.At first I got some stutter but adding this line to my fsx.cfg file made the sim fluid and smooth:DUMBBELL=1This should be inserted below the section [Main] in fsx.cfg. You could try to insert SAPHEAD=2, but a lot of user have reported problems with this setting. Seems to be very system specific (= No Holy Grail).I would appreciate if you give us all feedback on the progress of your testing, Graham!

:( One of the finest uses of sarcasm on the internet I have ever witnessed.I salute you sir.

even the keyboard should be OC:ed and liquid cooled.
handbang.gifThanks Ulf, now I can add a "liquid cooled" monitor to my Holy Grail list (I spurted coffee out of my nose all over my 26" Samsung)CheersBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest FSXBuster
-.- I wanted to make my own thread because the other "Holy Grail" thread was filled with mindless posts and a bunch of people that have no idea what there talking about. In this I keep FSX as stock as I can. The less tweaks the better.
Woohaa! That's our man, the "gman" :( Please keep it very, very simple so old farts like me self can follow you. I'm 42...Actually I prefer this "Holy Grail":http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071853/quotesThere's some great quotes there!Sir Lancelot: We were in the nick of time. You were in great peril. Sir Galahad: I don't think I was. Sir Lancelot: Yes, you were. You were in terrible peril. Sir Galahad: Look, let me go back in there and face the peril. Sir Lancelot: No, it's too perilous. Sir Galahad: Look, it's my duty as a knight to sample as much peril as I can. Sir Lancelot: No, we've got to find the Holy Grail. Come on. Sir Galahad: Oh, let me have just a little bit of peril? Sir Lancelot: No. It's unhealthy. Sir Galahad: I bet you're gay. Sir Lancelot: Am not. Oh, lets go and find The Grail.

Guest UlfB
I disagree. The more tweaks the better! I've applied all tweaks from FS version from FS2000 up to FSX to make sure that I have the top notch perfrmance in FSX. FSX is extremely fluid and smooth and I get about 300+ average fps over New York with all sliders maxed out. I only to need to get rid of the CTDs that I get after 5 seconds flight. Very annoying. But on another forum I've got the tip to replace my Ford with a BMW, which should give me a stable FSX. Heavy investment, but it should be worthwhile.Have you tried to add this line to fsx.cfg under the section [TERRAIN]?

AUTOGEN_DISPLAY_FAST_AND_SMOOTH=1

Made a HUGHE difference on my system.

My holy grail tweak... 2 CFGs. One I was using to eliminate the black screens/invisible textures I was getting with light bloom and stuff (With 4xAA, and Adaptive AA (Supersampling)), and one is just a CFG from FSX that only has one tweak.Yesterday I deleted my CFG and just let FSX do its thing and its running great, FPS is also great. I have not entered in the WideAspectView=True because it seems like it decreases your overall FPS and it would be very easy to just zoom out when its set to false. I have no more invisible textures/black screens so far as well. I was getting really great performance then I found that if I set the FSX affinity mask to run on the last two cores (Core 2 and 3) on my quad-core it is a whole lot smoother, and it seems like it keeps the other cores free for add-ons that may have complex avionics, use GDI+ or have processes/threads/fibers outside of FSX. Also believe it or not using a Fiber_Frame tweak I was able to get FSX to load smoothly on the two cores and it actually increased my FPS in some areas. So lets do an overview before I move on.*Deleted FSX.CFG*Ran FSX and set the settings I prefer.*Opened CFG and entered FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.66 AND AffinityMask=12 (Google both tweaks to find out how to enter them in the CFG)This next tweak was an old one I was using to eliminate the black screens/invisible textures and you can find it here.http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=271292...and I do not recommend setting Bufferpools to 0. It will cause graphical anomalies on many systems, even though in rare cases it may not for some, but if you want to test it, go ahead and try and swivel your view around outside very fast and see what happens. You will soon see trees and buildings and whatnot stretching into the sky for split seconds but will soon disappear. This causes my FPS to jump around erratically. Also if you set your bufferpools to 0 if your FPS is high, it will not be smooth at all, you will experience jumping when swiveling views and will also experience dropped frames.So in the end I recommend doing what I did at the top of the post and deleting the CFG and if you have a Quad Core, try the affinity mask tweak. Dual cores should only try the fiber_frame tweak.I apologize if this is not clear, or has an grammar/spelling errors, I typed it very fast.
We have seen the Fiber Frame tweak in the past and it has come up time and time again. I will refer all those interested to the following article which sets the record straight about this tweak on multi core systems:http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...f-the-week.aspx

Scott

KGPI

Banner_MJC1.png