Sign in to follow this  
Dilip

Anyone running FSX on AMD Phenom 965

Just looking for some information I would like to know of any users flying FSX using a AMD Phenom x4 965 3.4GHz 125W Quad- core AM3 socket I'm not planning do any overclocking. do you thing it can run FSX? I've been putting off moving to FSX for a long time but now I really want to make the step finally. I read about everyone using i5's or i7's but after i built this PC and do not wish to build another one just months after building this one. Im planning to build a budget comp any help would be appreciated.Thanks,NareshHere are my comp specs:2-9-20101-54-12PM.jpg

Hi Naresh, Please sign your full name in your posts per forum rules, thanks.I have built a few systems almost identical to your specs here with the main difference in the motherboard but nothing hugely different. The systems have been for friends and fam since the prices are easier on their wallet then an i7 build and all of the systems (-1 that had a bad bios and had to replace the MB) ran great. I never tested FSX on any of them but they were a solid build and other benchmarks were more than adequate.Wish I could post specifics for FSX but from the experience I have with this hardware you should see nearly equal performance than i5/i7 users.Note: The only thing I normal do different here is the MB. I use MSI normally for intel chips, and Asus for AMD. My current build I chose to use Asus with my i7 but MSI is typically better suited for intel chips.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Guest atsiang

I'm running FSX using AMD Phenom 965 with 4 GB Ram and Nvidia 9600 GT card and it's pretty smooth with sliders all the way to the right. Occasionally, not often though there may be some stuttering especially if I'm flying in Vancouver using FSaddon Vanc + addon. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the system.Al

iv got a similar system build of yours u can see it here:http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3915/29892909.jpgexcept, im still waiting for the video cards and new psu to rock up. Atm iv got the extact same parts expcept im running 2X Sapphire 4890 Toxic's whcih are stock at 960MHZ which prob might be abit faster than ur 5770.So atm on my setup im getting ave 20-24 fps with all the sliders in every window etc detail cloauds, cloud, detail radius, view ditances all maxed except autogen and all traffic settings are zero, all the boxed are ticked etc bloom, anti aliasing, dx10 preview under win7 32bit runnig at 1280X960 with antiscoptic enabled. nothings overclocked iether. The fps results are when im running default fsx with no mods or addons except the lasted build of the pmdg 747-400X with the pmdg settings maxed eg heading dsiplay, lcd option, winglets...Thats the performace i think u should expect to get if u use those settings as an example. Iv switched to the 5870s to get better image, texture & filtering qualtity with a few extra fps and decided update my psu from an antec signature 850 just too keep my pc always up to date with my current class/chipset of pc.hope that gives u an idea.Kaveesh

I've ordered this processor and it should be in tomorrow or Saturday. I'm upgrading from an AMD Athlon X2 6000+ running at 3.25 GHz; I'll let you know how it goes. Too bad my mother board doesn't support DDR3 memory.

When you get the new rig up and going post your results. I use a 955 Processor and get very good performance from my machine. With FSX it always takes a bit of tweaking to get what you want. Remember to defrag after install.

Im looking forward to what the findings are with this- I too have an AMD x64 3.2 Ghz machine (dual core) 4 gigs of RAM as well as a 9800GTX and saw that now there's a 3.4 quad core selling at a decent price. Im a die hard FS9 user although I do have FSX and it runs okay, but still not as good as FS9. Please post your results.Im looking forward to what the findings are with this- I too have an AMD x64 3.2 Ghz machine (dual core) 4 gigs of RAM as well as a 9800GTX and saw that now there's a 3.4 quad core selling at a decent price. Im a die hard FS9 user although I do have FSX and it runs okay, but still not as good as FS9. Please post your results.

New Egg took their time shipping it; I'll have it by Monday. Looking at Bench Marks you can tell that it's by no means as fast as an I7 but it's a substantial improvement over what I have currently. It looks to be on par with the higher end intel q series when paired with DDR3 memory. Like you I can run FSX+747X pretty well but I think this will improve my experience without having to buy a new MB, and RAM.

Eric,Installed the 965 and it made a noticeable difference compared to my old 6000+ X2. Graphics got turned up a little and it's silky smooth with the PMDG 747 in the Virtual Cockpit. KEWR still stutters a little on me during approach (dusk with heavy clouds) though but it's flyable. I don't use autogen as I rather run 60% UT2 traffic, but I honestly don't miss the autogen since FSX's ground textures are way sharper compared to FS9, I use 1m resolution.I would recommend this if you already have an AM3 socket capable MB. If I had to buy another board I would of went with an I7. I do wish that my MB supported DDR3 memory but it's running well on 4 gigs of 6400 DDR2 and W7 Ultimate 64bit.I'll post a screen after my flight's done.

Guest Andywoto

Hi Guys, just thought i would update this with my new build and results. I too have the 965, 3.4 black edition, and have an Asus M4A785TD-v Evo board with 8 gb ddr 3 ram, 750w psu, antec 900 gaming case , 3 fans, and my old 4870 1gb card. Running PMDG 747, at heathrow mega airport i get approx 10fps on med high settings. If i switch to TNCM or something similar, i get 20-30fps at most, all on med high settings. I have no idea why they are so low, when after tons of research it seemed that the 965 was worth a go over the i7 because of the $400 saving! Video card is only running at 70% so i doubt that is the problem but could be wrong. Even tried it overclocked to 3.6 but made little difference.So i guess the hunt for the fsx performance continues along with the hunt for the holy grail!Works great on other games though!Andy Watson

I have a Phenom II x4 965 overclocked to 3.8GHz on an Asus M4A785TD-V Evo board with 8 GB DDR3 at 1600 plus an ATI RADEON 5770 (overclocked). Also a 300Gb Velociraptor for FSXI started a thread here too, I don't know how come I could miss this one after spending countless hours searching these days.My set up stuttered like mad even when getting 30+ FPS with the default cessna, until I added the Velociraptor. But I'm not really sure if it was that or an instalation issue. I experimented a frame rate increase after a reinstalation before, and after FSX, SP1 and Acceleration were installed in the velociraptor, I saw some differences compared to the previous install. Now I can see the preview DirectX 10 checkbox and I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before. But the most important thing is the resolution. Now when a flight is loaded, it's zoomed in very close to the panel. With the JS41 I can't zoom out as much as I could before. Not that I care too much TBH, cause now it works like a charm when I run it in FULL SCREEN. I get an extra 5-10 FPS and overall, with the JS41 and addon scenery I see solid 20-30 FPS with maxed sliders and even traffic (set to ultra high which is about 20% if memory serves)I've tried so many things that at this point I'm not really sure which one or what combination of tweaks did effect performance, but I'm really happy with how smooth it looks nowEDIT: what looks awefully jerky though is the instant replay in spot view

Runs well for me clocked at 3.8 its an improvement from my q66 for sure. For the price it is not a bad chip.

Guest Andywoto

After everything i have read, the 965 should not be that far behind the i7. The velociraptor was my next thing to try, so maybe i'll give it a go. Interesting though that Dazz tried a re-install, as when i built this last week, i was getting over 40fps at mega airport heathrow with the pmdg 747. Since adding all the other stuff now its choppy and fps is pretty crap, so i may try a re-install and see how it goes. My video card seems up to the job as its 1gb GDDR5, and i need a dual monitor card so it fits the bill. Forgot to mention running fsx on windows 7 64bit.Andy Watson

If a fast HDD is a factor in the end, does that mean that FSX is dynamically reading scenery or whatever from disk instead of loading it in RAM? My fsx.exe never takes up more than 1.5Gb, so it has some 1.5Gb to spare. If that's the case then I would say it's save to say that it couldn't be programmed in a much crappier wayI might try and install it back in my regular 7200 r.p.m HDD and check if the jittering comes back or what

Hi all pilots. Im new here.I have one request about graphic setting in FSX. My FPS in FSX if i fly with PMDG 747 (virtual cocpit view) at the KLAX airport is about 10-15 FPS. Can anyone advise me, who has a similar pc specification like me, which graphic value you use in yours FSX graphic (and yours FPS is higher like 15 FPS)?If it is possible, you can send mi printscreens yours FSX graphic settings to my email: rabidko@gmail.comThank you very much for your response.Regards Martin Lorinc__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________FSX Specifications:FSX + Acceleration PackPMDG 747-4 + 747-8iAerosoft F16Real Environment Extreme 2.0 + OverDrive texture packsFS2 Crew PMDG 747FlightSim Commander 9PC Specifications:MBO: Asus M4A89TD PROCPU: AMD Phenom II X4 BE 3.4GHzRAM: Kingston XMP 2x2GB DDR3 1600MHz, CL8 ODD: Plextor PX-870ACOOLER: Artic Freezer XtremeCASE: Eurocase ML K880 IronmanGPU: Sapphire ATI Radeon Toxic HD5850 1GB/256bit GDDR5, 765MHz @ 1125 MHzPSU: i-Tec Power Gamer 700WHDD: WD Caviar Green 2x1TB 5400rpm 64MBOS: W7 64bit Enterprise

Edited by rabidko