Sign in to follow this  
Guest A4Skyhawk

Heading adjustments

Guest A4Skyhawk

I've got a couple add-on planes where the heading and/or course adjustment is in 10 degree increments instead of 1 degree. Additionally, although not as annoying, some add-on planes have the altitude set adjust go in 1000' increments instead of 100'. I know I've seen something on how to fix that somewhere on some board and now, naturally, I can't find it. Why didn't I print it out when I saw it before, you ask? Oh, I don't know...I got distracted because the cat came in wanting to be scratched, my wife asked me to kill a spider, or maybe it was the other way around. I don't remember.Can anyone help out a cat-scratching, spider-killing desk-pilot?Thanks.

Please specify which add ons you are referring to. I cannot imagine that any add on developer (no matter if freeware of payware) designs gauges where headings or altitudes can only be selected in the way you describe it.Are you aware that e. g. in many aircraft you can use the right mouse button for adjust altitude in steps by 1000s and the left button to adjust it by 100s or v. v.? The same is for the heading. Or there can be different clickspots assigned for different increments.Wolfgang

Guest A4Skyhawk

"Please specify which add ons you are referring to."I honestly don't remember precisely which add-ons are goofy in this way, but the most recent one is from Westwind, their 707, which uses a self-installer, wwab707f2004.exe. I wrote the panel developer on that one and, yes, he did say that although it'd been a while since he'd worked on it, he mentioned that there was probably a clickable area to have it make smaller steps. I haven't found anything so far. The right-mouse click fine-tuning feature doesn't seem to be available, although again, the developer said it'd been a long time since he'd worked on this particular panel."get FSUIPC "I have it already, ver 3.7.2.0, but I downloaded and will install the latest version, 3.96, which I got from the link provided. Can't hurt.I just wish I could find that how-to. I swear it was some easy change in either aircraft.cfg or panel.cfg.I'll let you know how I make out.Thanks to both of you.A4Skyhawk

"Please specify which add ons you are referring to."I honestly don't remember precisely which add-ons are goofy in this way, but the most recent one is from Westwind, their 707, which uses a self-installer, wwab707f2004.exe. I wrote the panel developer on that one and, yes, he did say that although it'd been a while since he'd worked on it, he mentioned that there was probably a clickable area to have it make smaller steps. I haven't found anything so far. The right-mouse click fine-tuning feature doesn't seem to be available, although again, the developer said it'd been a long time since he'd worked on this particular panel."get FSUIPC "I have it already, ver 3.7.2.0, but I downloaded and will install the latest version, 3.96, which I got from the link provided. Can't hurt.I just wish I could find that how-to. I swear it was some easy change in either aircraft.cfg or panel.cfg.I'll let you know how I make out.Thanks to both of you.A4Skyhawk
The actual problem is badly written gauge code; code that is continually throwing FS commands. The repeated commands are what triggers the accelerated selection problems. If you have registered your copy of FSUIPC, you can check the option to "Fix Control Accleration."If you are feeling adventurous, and want to try locating the problem, you can enable logging of FS Controls in FSUIPC (freeware or registered.) You can then look at FSUIPC.LOG to determin which controls are being repeated. This may then suggest which gauge you need to replace. Replacing the offending gauge is the only real solution. If the problem gauge is built into the VC model code, you're cooked.Doug

Guest A4Skyhawk

UPDATE!It's working now. The trick wasn't a different click area, wasn't a right-click, but instead, are you ready?, the mouse's scroll wheel. Huh? Yep. Don't know why that instead of anything else and doesn't matter as long as it works. I wanted to try it one more time before installing the newer FSUIPC. Glad I did.Thanks again.A4Skyhawk

UPDATE!It's working now. The trick wasn't a different click area, wasn't a right-click, but instead, are you ready?, the mouse's scroll wheel. Huh? Yep. Don't know why that instead of anything else and doesn't matter as long as it works. I wanted to try it one more time before installing the newer FSUIPC. Glad I did.Thanks again.A4Skyhawk
Glad you figured it out! Now have fun flying that beast! :( Wolfgang

The actual problem is badly written gauge code; code that is continually throwing FS commands. The repeated commands are what triggers the accelerated selection problems. If you have registered your copy of FSUIPC, you can check the option to "Fix Control Accleration."If you are feeling adventurous, and want to try locating the problem, you can enable logging of FS Controls in FSUIPC (freeware or registered.) You can then look at FSUIPC.LOG to determin which controls are being repeated. This may then suggest which gauge you need to replace. Replacing the offending gauge is the only real solution. If the problem gauge is built into the VC model code, you're cooked.Doug
At this point many of us have learned that this is no longer 100% accurate. You can have gauges that perform without issue and don't have a repeated command running in the background... and still get the acceleration issue to trigger. It's actually a flaw in FS and there are a great deal of ways you can trigger it happening. FSUIPC's acceleration fix is the only method I know of that can ensure FS doesn't mistakenly take input from the user and trigger the acceleration process.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69