Sign in to follow this  
Mike_CFII_MEL

Electronic Flight Bag

Hi Todd,Well, the computers are once again hooked up and in sync with one-another. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my request, again sorry for the misunderstanding earlier. I now have a starting point to begin my testing. Man I need a bigger computer room or smaller equipment. :(

No problem Mike! I can understand your decisions for not installing the EFB on your setup.I was just trying to give a few observations of my own about the program and I wasn't trying to deter others from trying it. As I stated the EFB wasn't for me but I'm sure others may find a use for it.Todd

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

I took a look at EFB right after it was released, and made a few suggestions for improving it. Even "first out of the shop" it was an exceptionally good piece of software, but since I'm also exceptionally picky and lazy when it comes to my simulator setup, two reasons put me off:1. You can't run it on the same computer using Full screen.and most importantly2. The "auto generated" charts are just no match to the actual Navigraph charts. There's just too much information missing for my taste. They are good though, and you get practically the whole world worth of generic charts for the price of a single addon. If they figured out a way, maybe in cooperation with Navigraph, to display the actual user purchased chart data onscreen (Full!) in the simulator, I'd buy it in less than a heartbeat.

Hello guys over the pond,I was among the beta-testers of this program. Indeed we missed to test routes to smaller airports in the USA, we were due several reasons focussed on other problems when testing the program outside of european airfields, for instance magnetic variation and other. As far as I know, Urs the programmer from Switzerland is working on that issue with the three coded aiports in USA. Furthermore let me point out one thing, which I always find missleading in comments about this new product. The intention was not to create a new flightplanning tool, our intention was to bring a new developement in civil aviation into the simmers world. That is why we called it Electronic flight bag, according the various systems you find in modern airplanes. If you nowadays enter a flightdeck of more or less modern airplanes you will see, that a lot of paperwork could be reduced due the use of EFB-Systems or called LPC-Sysems (laptops or build-in systems). Google around with LPC (less paperwork cockpit) in aviation, you will find out, what we were thinking of. If you use EFB, you can do flight in a great extend with the MS Flightsimulator X without additional charts in printed form. The program provides you in all stages of your flight with the necessary informations and you can customize it to your needs. It is not absolutely necessary, but it is recommend to have this program on a second computer or laptop beside your Sim-system. If you need to have the actual Nav-Data, you can import them from Navigraph ( As you know this will cost you a few dollars from time to time, but you safe flight preperation time and printing costs with EFB...). In general spoken, all earthbound data comes from the FSX and all procedural data come from Navigraph.Test it, comment and critizies it, we were looking carefully to stay in touch with our Sim-colleagues and try to improve the program.regards and thanksBernhard (LSZH)

I know that this thread started las february. Looking into the aivlasoft EFB I found in the latest documentation (version 1.2 november 12) this information>>Create a route from an ATS route descriptionYou also can create a route by entering (or copy/pasting) the ATS route description. The route description must be the format as follows where elements in curly brackets are optional:FROM{ETD} {SPDALT} {SID{.TRNS}} {Enroute} {STAR{.TRNS}} TO{ETA} {ALTN}ElementDescriptionExamplesRemarksFROMOrigin airport: 4-letter ICAO code, or 3-letter airport code (US and Canada only)KLAX, EDDF, 15S, LS93manda<<

Roger

See my specs in my profile

I know that this thread started las february. Looking into the aivlasoft EFB I found in the latest documentation (version 1.2 november 12) this information>>Create a route from an ATS route descriptionYou also can create a route by entering (or copy/pasting) the ATS route description. The route description must be the format as follows where elements in curly brackets are optional:FROM{ETD} {SPDALT} {SID{.TRNS}} {Enroute} {STAR{.TRNS}} TO{ETA} {ALTN}ElementDescriptionExamplesRemarksFROMOrigin airport: 4-letter ICAO code, or 3-letter airport code (US and Canada only)KLAX, EDDF, 15S, LS93manda<<
I just updated it to vs 1.20.It got even better than it was before !

Change Log, Version 1.2.0 New Features:
  • Profile view in approach charts
  • Descent gradient table in profile view
  • METAR module, current weather reports from FSX, FSX compatible weather engines and from NOAA
  • Prediction of expected runways when selecting procedures (based on current wind direction)
  • Flight information pad with information about "top of climb", "top of descent" and more
  • Morse code for navaid/landingaid labels
  • New flightplan reader for FS2004 flight plans
  • Individually show/hide panels in approach charts (sidebar buttons)
  • CancelButton when proposed to activate a new/changed procedure
  • Statusbar (DisplayUnit) which shows the latest logfile entry
  • Color settings for land/water selectable

Improvements:

• Select a "Direct-To" waypoint from the current route waypoints
  • Select whether wind readings are magnetic or true north
  • Keyboard arrow keys (Up, Down, Left, Right) and plus/minus (Add[+], Subtract[-] on numeric keyboard) are recognized in all charts
  • The arrow with information about the referring navaid (e.g. R294° BIG 115.1) is only shown if the difference between course and arrow is ± 5° (decluttering charts)
  • If night light is selected from within any chart, modules with grid-based information (Route Setup, -Modify, Flightlog) are also shown in darker colors
  • Range for airport navaids allows a maximum of 50nm now
  • AirportInfo, Navaids: Numeric sorting of columns 'Distance' and 'Bearing'
  • Automatic chart switching optimized

Bugs fixed:

• Missed approaches on some airports not shown properly (e.g. EDDK 14L)
  • DisplayUnit saves incorrect position values if running on a second monitor on the left side of the main monitor
  • Wrong distance values when calculating interception points in route lists
  • Procedure selector shows direction buttons as enabled which have no arrival routes behind

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems I have been living underneath a rock for a long time. Today I realised a great tool like EFB exists. I love the concept and the potential it has. Great interface and user friendly screens (if you are at least experienced on Flightsim).However, just like Mike indicates, I hoped I could throw away FSBuild, FSCommander (my hated but required tool) and the Navigraph Charts tool. But this seems not the case. For the moment, I keep it as a nice to have tool and will not purchase the license. Thanks for building the tool as once again the potential is huge! If I would be able to have a fuelplanner inside, the map with VATSIM/IVAO connection and most importantly the maps from Navigraph, this would be my number one tool!

It seems I have been living underneath a rock for a long time. Today I realised a great tool like EFB exists. I love the concept and the potential it has. Great interface and user friendly screens (if you are at least experienced on Flightsim).However, just like Mike indicates, I hoped I could throw away FSBuild, FSCommander (my hated but required tool) and the Navigraph Charts tool. But this seems not the case. For the moment, I keep it as a nice to have tool and will not purchase the license. Thanks for building the tool as once again the potential is huge! If I would be able to have a fuelplanner inside, the map with VATSIM/IVAO connection and most importantly the maps from Navigraph, this would be my number one tool!
You don't need a flight planner with efb.I mean you need a fuel calculator still but this is it. From within efb you can access vat route or route finder or you can create your own routes.Vic

You don't need a flight planner with efb.I mean you need a fuel calculator still but this is it. From within efb you can access vat route or route finder or you can create your own routes.Vic
Thanks Vic for your swift reply. I see your point. I can alternatively use a fuelplanner from the Avsim Library (Mostly fly PMDG B747). I noticed the custom pages/folders in the tool. Can I put printed pdf files in there from the maps of navigraph?

Thanks Vic for your swift reply. I see your point. I can alternatively use a fuelplanner from the Avsim Library (Mostly fly PMDG B747). I noticed the custom pages/folders in the tool. Can I put printed pdf files in there from the maps of navigraph?
You don't need them maps.They are already in efb.As far as the pmdg747 is concerned you can either use the documentation that comes with the plane to calculate the fuel you need or topcat which is great.

Is it best to use this software on a second computer?

NAX669.png

This is definitely the software i have been waiting for a long time,i have thrown away my paper charts etc, everything now is encompassed in this program, charts, flight planning etc (flight planning links) its so easy just copy and paste the route into EFB and it will show you your route graphically, with V 1.2 you now have the ability to chose runways depending on current metar taken from inside the program. It will also advise you which approach / runway to use depending on weather conditions at arrival / departure, SID / STARs very well represented.I do not buy many add on products but i couldn't go past this one.Still has good potential to improve like ability to see AI traffic in map mode.Worth 5 stars i reckon.regards

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Is it best to use this software on a second computer?
Hi Mike,EFB can be thought of as a traditional "client / server" software package composed of a DataProvider (server) and DisplayUnit (client).The DataProvider is installed on your FSX PC, while the DisplayUnit can be installed on your FSX PC and on remote PCs. If you're comfortable with setting up file/folder shares under Windows, then you should have no trouble running a remote client.As for which is "best" that's up to each user to determine for themselves. I have a dual-monitor FSX PC, and a remote DisplayUnit on a spare notebook. Both work fine, but I find I use the single-PC approach most just to avoid booting a 2nd PC. Horses for courses....Regards,

AivlaSoftEfbDeveloper.png

Sig1.jpg

(Each product functions in a fully-functional trial mode for interested users.)

This is definitely the software i have been waiting for a long time,i have thrown away my paper charts etc, everything now is encompassed in this program, charts, flight planning etc (flight planning links) its so easy just copy and paste the route into EFB and it will show you your route graphically, with V 1.2 you now have the ability to chose runways depending on current metar taken from inside the program. It will also advise you which approach / runway to use depending on weather conditions at arrival / departure, SID / STARs very well represented.I do not buy many add on products but i couldn't go past this one.Still has good potential to improve like ability to see AI traffic in map mode.Worth 5 stars i reckon.regards
Clayton,Thank you for your very kind words.Do know that the "favored runways" that the procedure selectors display are ranked based upon availability of an ILS, the wind direction / strength, and whether or not the runway is marked for landing and departure. The AI / ATC module can and does make its own decisions and EFB does not monitor which runway is currently active. Maybe in a future version, but not for today.Regards,

AivlaSoftEfbDeveloper.png

Sig1.jpg

(Each product functions in a fully-functional trial mode for interested users.)