Sign in to follow this  
Nightflier101BL

4GB switch for XP64 and FS9

Hello. I've been recently having OOM errors using FS9 on Windows XP64. I've reading some things saying that I need to apply this fix to the EXE file.So, I downloading CFF Explorer...opened the file and checked the box to allow it to use more than 2GB. It wants me to save the file and overwrite the original, but when I do that, it tells me that it can't overwrite it. Is there a step I'm missing.I'm using FS9.1I've also tried a self-updater I think from the same creator of CFF Explorer, and that file tells me it cannot open the EXE file at all.Any help would be appreciated.Robert

Is your FS9.exe read only? If it is uncheck read only. You can see if it is read only by right clicking on the FS9.exe and looking at the properties.

Your FS9 is not open at the moment you are trying to modify it, right?

Fixed. I never re-started my computer after the OOM, so I re-started, and went ahead and deleted the shortcut to FS9 I had on my desktop and re-ran CFF Explorer. Everything works now. You know, I've been running FS9 for quite some time, with nearly daily flights without ever applying this fix. I just learned about the fix yesterday. This was only my second OOM.This last one was after a 13 hour flight into severe weather into a Megascenery area with 3 add-on airports active in the PMDG 747, after 2 missed approaches and holding for an hour, and 100 percent traffic. Maybe it was just too much.Robert

Interesting thread Robert, although I am a bit confused:With my past XPPro 32 bit OS, I implemented the "4GB Switch" and although it helped, it did not totally remove the OOM problems.My understanding was that going to a 64bit OS was the cure all for this problem. So I upgraded my system, including the WinXPPro 64 bit OS (Total specs including the kitchen sink are attached). My understanding also was that the "4GB Switch" was not applicable to this system and that it took advantage of total installed memory provisions. Therefore I have thus far never considered makeing the same "4GB Switch" modifications that I had implemented in my past 32 bit system. I downloaded the CFF Explorer Suite, although I do not know how to use it. I am afraid I don't know quite what to do with it. Can, and should the "4GB Switch" modifications that were made in the 32 bit system be used for my new unit including WinXPPro 64 bit?If someone could clarify this and straighten me out, it would be appreciated.Over the past months, with my upgraded system I have to my surprise had the OOM error only twice. Like the originator of this thread, it was after many hours on lengthy flights under very complex conditions. Being that it raised its head so seldom, I have thus far chosen to ignore it. However, this thread does make me curious. I have followed Nick's recommendations for setup as well as for overclocking.Respectfully:RTHPrimary Computer"ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel ATX MotherboardIntel Core i7-975 Extreme Quad Core CPUScythe SY124010L CPU Fam6GB (3x2GB) 240 Pin DDR3 1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK MemoryWinXP Pro 64 BitEVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512 bigt DDR3 Video Graphics Card21

FS9 is a 32bit application and even on your 64bit OS you would need to "tell" the FS9.exe to look beyond the 2GB limit. On a 64bit system you DO NOT need to modify the boot.ini, you only need to set the flag in the FS9.exe (with CFF Explorer for example).