Sign in to follow this  
Clipper Ocean Spray

Question about "Set Vertical Speed" Command

Thanks for the great product.I have a question about the "Set Vertical Speed" command. If anyone has a thought, please respond.Here's a specific example. I'm cruising with autopilot on, speed set to 280 (SPD 280), LNAV engaged (NAV TRK) and holding altitude (ALT HLD). I enter the command "Arm Flight Level 210" and the FO reads back correctly and arms FL 210. I then enter the command "Set Vertical Speed Down 2000" and the FO reads back correctly, BUT the autopilot stays at altitude hold (ALT HLD). Sometimes in this scenario I'll see VERT SPD selected very briefly in the flight mode annunciator, but then it returns to altitude hold.When I perform the above procedure manually (cruising in SPD/LNAV/ALT HLD mode, manually arming FL 210, manually pressing the vertical speed mode button, then entering a vertical speed) it works.Regards,Roland F.

Guest Cyril_Murat

Hi.Did you try to "Engage Vertical Speed" before "Set vertical speed down ..."?Note that with IAS for example, "Engage IAS" is a must-do before "Set IAS ???"Regards,Cyril

I've noticed the V/S stuff too, sometimes it works sometimes not...Yesterday, it works while in VNAV, FL210 armed, I said "set V/S 2000ft down" and the plane smoothly went down.On the other side, when I ask "Set V/S 2000ft up", it doesn't work and the FO selects -2000ft instead...

vpa055.png

Cyril, thanks for the tip. I'll try it and report back. It may be awhile before I can conduct another flight (real life intervenes).Stephane, do you think your voice command is getting recognized? In my case, the FO reads back the "set vertical speed..." command indicating FS2Crew recognizes what I'm saying, but the vertical speed mode doesn't engage.

I've just finished another flight.I was in speed mode for the thrust, alt hld for the pitch.I told the FO to arm altitude 1500ft.told him to engage V/S, on the FCP V/S window shows Zero, FMA says V/S is armed for the pitch.When I say set V/S down 2000ft, the voice recognization works as I see the phrase in the green band, the FO reads back, but nothing happens, V/S stays at zero.

vpa055.png

Guest Samuli

Happens to me as well, and is already reported to Bryan.Normally should work as you are doing Roland. You don't need engage VS to set value.Cyril and all, just as info, IAS mode is a mode you need to engage before setting any value, mach as well. But there is a difference for Vertical Speed. Just by arming another altitude should be enough to just engage VS by turning the VS wheel.If you don't arm another altitude then you cannot do so.Samuli

Thanks Samuli and Stephane for confirming. I too was able to confirm the problem on a subsequent flight.I have two more questions, but I don't want to start another thread. First, I can't seem to get the FO to select climb power after speaking the command "SELECT (SET) CLIMB POWER." I couldn't find a voice command for it listed in the documentation, only select cruise power. Second, is there a way to dismiss the Maddog briefing sheet (takeoff weight, fuel, trim, etc.) without manually closing the window? The briefing sheet used to automatically close after a timed period before I installed FS2Crew. I ask because manually closing the window causes my screen to go black for a second to two. A little distracting, but not a big deal.

Guest Cyril_Murat
"SELECT (SET) CLIMB POWER." I couldn't find a voice command for it listed in the documentation, only select cruise power.
Yes you have but not at the same place as set (or select) MCT and cruise:6th line of the page, you'll see "Select climb power" (but not "set climb power")
Second, is there a way to dismiss the Maddog briefing sheet...
Sorry, I don't know.Regards,Cyril

Yes you have but not at the same place as set (or select) MCT and cruise:6th line of the page, you'll see "Select climb power" (but not "set climb power") Sorry, I don't know.Regards,Cyril
"Dismiss the briefing sheet"... you'll need to close it by clicking on it just as if you opened it by clicking on it.Best,

I still have problems commanding vertical speed down from VNAV LVL and ALT HLD, does anyone else? The voice command is recognized and repeated by the FO, but V/S mode doesn't get set.The vertical speed "up" command works, but not down.I'm probably in the minority, but I rely on the vertical speed modes a lot, particularly on descent. I can always outperform VNAV in terms of a smooth, low power descent using just vertical speed, doesn't matter the aircraft (LH, PMDG, LevelD, Feelthere, etc.).Roland.

I still have problems commanding vertical speed down from VNAV LVL and ALT HLD, does anyone else? The voice command is recognized and repeated by the FO, but V/S mode doesn't get set.The vertical speed "up" command works, but not down.I'm probably in the minority, but I rely on the vertical speed modes a lot, particularly on descent. I can always outperform VNAV in terms of a smooth, low power descent using just vertical speed, doesn't matter the aircraft (LH, PMDG, LevelD, Feelthere, etc.).Roland.
Hi Roland,Is VS mode engaged?Try making the command when VS is current set to a value "other" than 0.Cheers,

Guest Cyril_Murat
I still have problems commanding vertical speed down from VNAV LVL and ALT HLD, does anyone else? The voice command is recognized and repeated by the FO, but V/S mode doesn't get set.The vertical speed "up" command works, but not down.
Hi.It may be stupid from me but who knows... Do you arm a lower altitude or FL before trying to engage a VS mode?Regards.Cyril

Finally had a chance to do another flight (family calls). Thanks for the replies, yep, I wasn't engaging v/s mode! File my question under user error, which is something I've grown used to learning the mad dog. :(