Sign in to follow this  
mrauh

Tool for long haul pilots?

During a flight from Frankfurt to Seoul last night it struck me that it would be nice to be able to cut out a portion of your flight and to return to your captain's seat say an our prior to landing. I know that you can place your aircraft anywhere in the world. But since I use Radar Contact said contact would be lost. Also the fuel load and time would have to be altered manually. Is there a tool out there that does these things automatically? MattPS: I realize this kind of defeats the purpose of long haul flights but I love to fly the big iron on realistic routes yet don't have the time to hang in there for five hours straight :-)

Matt,the only "tool" I am aware of, is to speed up the sim. Now, when flying at 16x, RC has a tendency to drop waypoints and sooner or later it will start complaining about your course - you know the drill :( I did a few such long haul flights when I didn't have all that much time in two hours or so, using 8x and 16x. What you could do is what you wrote: "teleport" your aircraft close to the TD point, then manually lower fuel qty and request a "Direct to" wpt from RC. Then you would not lose contact, I think.Regards,Jure

Pro Flight Emulator, a very good alternative to Radar Contact IMHO, has a very nice "Warp To" feature that allows you to move your aircraft seamlessly to whatever waypoint you wish, and then direct you from there as though nothing had happened. I use that feature often to warp my aircraft to the waypoint just before BOD. PFE also has other advantage to RC that you can read about elsewhere by searching here at AVSIM, if you wish.

Pro Flight Emulator, a very good alternative to Radar Contact IMHO, has a very nice "Warp To" feature that allows you to move your aircraft seamlessly to whatever waypoint you wish, and then direct you from there as though nothing had happened. I use that feature often to warp my aircraft to the waypoint just before BOD. PFE also has other advantage to RC that you can read about elsewhere by searching here at AVSIM, if you wish.
FSNavigator will do this as well.

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Tool for long haul pilots?
it would be nice to be able to cut out a portion of your flight and to return to your captain's seat say an our prior to landing
That would make it a short haul! :( I believe 'long haul' can ONLY be a long haul, by definition (usually more than six hours).Returning to your question of how to fly a short haul for a long distance (LOL!), I know of no programme to do it.There was something like AutoSave, I used it in the FS2002 times. But if your plane has an option of saving a panel state (Thralni is na expert here, maybe he can advice more, I just never do it), you can reload your flight at any time. If that is what you want (I'm not sure).Yes, the lack of time is the main enemy of long hauls. When I fly offline, I usually make long hauls overnight (getting some sleep with the autopilot on duty).When I fly online, I can usually make only short (or medium) hauls. I perform a long haul on special occasions when I plan a sleepless night or, during the day, I have a lot of other things to do around (being physically close to my cockpit).

FSNavigator will do this as well.
Yes, BUT: A) it's no longer available for sale and, :( it may still very well screw up your flight, FMC, etc. on certain aircraft and certainly will mess up Radar Contact, if not done correctly.