Sign in to follow this  
spilok

UTX question

I bought UTX ages ago, and I haven't used it in about 1 year. Since I got my new computer, I've used only REX, FS Genesis, ASA, and several megascenery installations. My system runs great, and I have phenomenal frame rates on my Jetline System. When I used UTX in the past, I always noticed a frame rate hit that I found unacceptable. I know that many users don't experience this, but I did.My question is this: I want to install UTX again and give it a go. However, I've noticed that there were many updates to the program, and I don't feel like installing the basic program and all the updates afterward. Is there a complete, updated version of UTX with all the updates for FSX that I can download and install easliy, or do I have to go through the version layering to get to the newest and best UTX version? If I purchased the original version, does that make me eligible for the latest version at no extra charge?Appreciate your advice!Stan

I don't think there is one complete version, but I may be wrong.There are some features of UTX that are "heavy" like car traffic,... but you can turn them off. Actually (I have UTX Europe) in configuration utility you can see what kind of an impact every feature has.

Stan, it doesn't take as long as FSX does. Do it!I might need to check of there are any updates I need also...Loyd

Ok...I'll fire UTX up again. I'll start looking for the update patches. Thanks for the input.Stan

Yeah, UTX can take a little while to install and configure.However, it is well worh it.UTX is a must have IMO. :)

Stan, if you were getting a performance hit running UTX it was probably because of the car traffic that was increased from version 1.2 to version 1.3. In 1.2 there were some areas where car traffic was left out or was spotty. In version 1.3 they fixed it so that car traffic was more uniform, but in the process so much more traffic was added that it cause a lot beigier performance hit. I noticed a big difference in performance when I went from 1.2 to 1.3 due to this.Here's what I am doing now. I am using version 1.3, but using the version 1.2 car traffic files. I would rather have higher levels of traffic like around 40% on main highways and streets than have to run traffic at lower levels like 10% and have traffic on side streets as well as the other streets.Allen of UTX posted a guide here if you want to try using the latest version of UTX but with the older more FPS friendly traffic files of version 1.2: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...D=28671&KW=This wont work though in UTX Europe.Also make sure not to turn off the wave effects since that will cause a performance hit also, unless you manually edit your terrain.cfg after doing so. This thread here explains why: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...D=28092&KW=

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks again for the good information. All updates are in and UTX is active.Stan

if you were getting a performance hit running UTX it was probably because of the car traffic that was increased from version 1.2 to version 1.3.
Based on this and the rest of your reply on the matter of the change in UTX vehicle traffic between 1.2 and 1.3, there are a few misunderstandings.The change between 1.2 and 1.3 was to combine traffic on interstates/highways and major roads into one traffic file (previously there was a separate ones for interstates/highways, and a separate one for major roads). This solved reported issues from users where traffic might appear and disappear incorrectly at different places on a road, or not appear at all in small sections. This was because we discovered that the FSX scenery engine did not work too well with overlapping traffic scenery files and smaller segment sizes.In most cases, people who ran with a large percentage of vehicle traffic in the FSX scenery settings may have turned off the major roads to minimise performance loss of using FSX's traffic. This is however obviously not possible in the combined version. The reason that you do not see the loss by following the instructions noted in the links and using the 1.2 files is that you are now only using the interstates/highways traffic files, and nothing to do with them being of the older type.Jeff

AVSimSig.jpg