Sign in to follow this  
Guest mwjb1984

Should i try Fsx?

Guest mwjb1984

Hey everyone,I would like to give fsx a try on my laptop but i'm a bit unsure if it will run at all.Here are my specs:Acer Aspire 6530g, AMD Turion X2 Dual Core RM70 2.0Ghz, ATI HD 3650 512MB dedicated with hypermemory, 4GB ram, 250hdd, win 7 64bit.I have fs2004 running perfectly with many addons and i'm having between 28fps -30fps most of the time even at the mega airports with traffic 100%. It is installed on its own partition.Should i partition the hardrive for fsx??? Will i be able to run fsx on good settings i.e LOD and mesh details 100%, dont care about the water effects, autogen and complex scenery on normal, traffic 80% and what about if i get some mega airports??? I mostly fly airliners.Any advice will be appreciated. thnxs

I wouldn't bother with that. Even at modest settings, you'll be getting at least 1/2 the performance you're getting in fs9. But then again, you're asking this in a fs9 forum.. :(

So hard to predict how any system will handle FSX. 2 GHz processor may be your bottleneck, but there

Many forget that there is a demo for FSX. If you like you can download it and try it, but keep in mind the Demo was released during FSX's infancy, so if you buy FSX and install Acceleration or download the Service Packs, you will gain performance. I say go for it, my brother has a Core 2 Duo with a HD3200 and it runs pretty well, you just have to choose the right settings!http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimul.../downloads.html <---- Make sure to scroll down "Flight Simulator X Trail Version"

I agree with the others; just remember you won't be able to run FSX at full settings!

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I agree with the others; just remember you won't be able to run FSX at full settings!
Can anyone?! :(

Guest mwjb1984

Thanks everyone for the above replies. i gave it a try and that wasnt a good experience unfortunately. FPS were between 10-15 and that was with default planes and settings were very low. I know it will probably run better on an icore 7 or something like that. I'll wait for Xmas to get a higher specs laptop ( may be an alienware if Santa will allow it :-) )and then i might switched permanently.

FSX setting are opposite logic to FS9.With FSX, you start with all settings fully right. The reason for this is that given low settings doesen't work your hardware to its full potential. So, start fully right and gradually work your way back left, until you find a workable medium.The biggest pull on your system is 'traffic' and autogen.Let us know how things go eh? I will monitor this thread. :(

Dave Taylor gb.png

Thanks everyone for the above replies. i gave it a try and that wasnt a good experience unfortunately. FPS were between 10-15 and that was with default planes and settings were very low. I know it will probably run better on an icore 7 or something like that. I'll wait for Xmas to get a higher specs laptop ( may be an alienware if Santa will allow it :-) )and then i might switched permanently.
Doubt you will find a laptop that will run fsx to your satisfaction.If I was you, I'd build myself a desktop.