Sign in to follow this  
Guest jcthomas_9000

Zoom

Guest jcthomas_9000

Hi guysMy zoom in my 2D panel is always set to 1.00 but i've read some people hinting to set it to 0.75 or 0.50 (then having bether textures). Is it correct or not ? Should i keep my 1.00 zoom setting ?Jc

You can try and keep any setting you like. Some set the zoom level to roughly 0.75 to get a better feeling of motion (speed) near the ground.I see no logical reason why textures would be any better using lower zoom levels.

Hi guysMy zoom in my 2D panel is always set to 1.00 but i've read some people hinting to set it to 0.75 or 0.50 (then having bether textures). Is it correct or not ? Should i keep my 1.00 zoom setting ?Jc
As you Zoom Out, you increase your Field of View. F/Sim FOV @ 1.0 Zoom is only 45

As you Zoom Out, you increase your Field of View. F/Sim FOV @ 1.0 Zoom is only 45

I just .76 or .78 zoom depending on the plane (I know, picky). Just pick whatever works best for you. I have TrackIR so I'm confortable using .76 instead of anything lower.By the way, as you zoom out, it gives you a sense of sharper textures as you are now seeing them from farther away, and you also see even less of the far blurry textures.

Going widescreen or multi-monitor requires a lower zoom as well. I'm personally using 0.57x zoom with a 3840x1200 widescreen (DualHead2Go) setup...<Random musing="I have often thought that from high altitude, the fully zoomed out (0.31x zoom) looks better than my 0.57x but on the ground this wouldn't be good. I have thought that it would be good to write a small gauge that sets the view to lower zoom levels as the aircraft climbs above say 10000ft up to FL250 and then increases it again in descent... just never got around to trying to write it..."/>Cheers,Geoff

Going widescreen or multi-monitor requires a lower zoom as well. I'm personally using 0.57x zoom with a 3840x1200 widescreen (DualHead2Go) setup...---------[/i]Cheers,Geoff
Geoff- I'm not sure why you say "multi-monitor requires a lower zoom". I run triple monitors/triple integrated views (via dual video cards) with same 1.0 zoom on all. The 135

I now only fly at 0.50 zoom, as it makes a huge difference to the textures seen out of the window (I only fly 2D).As you zoom out, you concentrate more on the textures close up to the aircraft, which FS renders very well. As someone has mentioned, you also loose some of the far away textures, which are rendered very badly by FS.These 2 points combined result in much clearer textures seen out of the cockpit window.There is of course a downside, of elongating everything, so that other aircraft will look out of proportion if you look closely (as will buildings).Still, it makes my ground (GEPro and UTE) look better than ever.Neil

beta.gif

I now only fly at 0.50 zoom, as it makes a huge difference to the textures seen out of the window (I only fly 2D).As you zoom out, you concentrate more on the textures close up to the aircraft, which FS renders very well. As someone has mentioned, you also loose some of the far away textures, which are rendered very badly by FS.These 2 points combined result in much clearer textures seen out of the cockpit window.There is of course a downside, of elongating everything, so that other aircraft will look out of proportion if you look closely (as will buildings).Still, it makes my ground (GEPro and UTE) look better than ever.Neil
Hi Neil- I just ran a test with main View Fwd set to 0.50 zoom and the adjacent monitors (VRF & VLF) still at 1.0 zoom. This allows identical segments of much of the scenery to display simultaneously on side by side monitors for comparison. I can detect no difference in textures- the scenery on the ground or aloft appears identical to my eyes with both 1.0 & 0.50 Zoom settings.I use GE and UT Can/AK & USA.Alex Reid

Hi Neil- I just ran a test with main View Fwd set to 0.50 zoom and the adjacent monitors (VRF & VLF) still at 1.0 zoom. This allows identical segments of much of the scenery to display simultaneously on side by side monitors for comparison. I can detect no difference in textures- the scenery on the ground or aloft appears identical to my eyes with both 1.0 & 0.50 Zoom settings.I use GE and UT Can/AK & USA.Alex Reid
The scenery is identical, but through common sense you can guess that as closer textures become more of a majority that is clearly seen, and the farther textures get even farther as you're zooming out, you focus on the clearer textures and hardly see the ones far away.

Guest jcthomas_9000

hellothanks for you answers ! i think i'm going to keep my 1.00 settingjc

The scenery is identical, but through common sense you can guess that as closer textures become more of a majority that is clearly seen, and the farther textures get even farther as you're zooming out, you focus on the clearer textures and hardly see the ones far away.
red1- I tried that experiment again several times (changing mid monitor from 1.0 to 0.50 zoom) and comparing same scenery on the outer monitors. Yes, the scenery changes as you zoom in: new scenery/texture appears nearby and old scenery/texture shrinks & moves further away. But I have to conclude that overall TEXTURE remains the same regardless of zoom. That is- a tree right at the bottom of the screen @ 1.0, looks exactly the same as a tree at the bottom @ 0.50 zoom.I suspect that the eyes are being fooled because NEW, nearby, detailed scenery suddenly appears as you Zoom Out- and it is larger/more detailed than the scenery that now has moved further away- shrinking in size as Zoom increases. But the new scenery is no more detailed than than the prior scenery was to begin with.I'll class "Zoom Out Texture Increase" as an optical illusion! With a single monitor there is no way to compare detail before and after zooming.Alex Reid

red1- I tried that experiment again several times (changing mid monitor from 1.0 to 0.50 zoom) and comparing same scenery on the outer monitors. Yes, the scenery changes as you zoom in: new scenery/texture appears nearby and old scenery/texture shrinks & moves further away. But I have to conclude that overall TEXTURE remains the same regardless of zoom. That is- a tree right at the bottom of the screen @ 1.0, looks exactly the same as a tree at the bottom @ 0.50 zoom.I suspect that the eyes are being fooled because NEW, nearby, detailed scenery suddenly appears as you Zoom Out- and it is larger/more detailed than the scenery that now has moved further away- shrinking in size as Zoom increases. But the new scenery is no more detailed than than the prior scenery was to begin with.I'll class "Zoom Out Texture Increase" as an optical illusion! With a single monitor there is no way to compare detail before and after zooming.Alex Reid
Heh, You're completely correct Alex. That is what I was trying to say before.