Sign in to follow this  
Walt90

Win 7 and Existing Programs

Currently using Vista 32 bit. I want to install Win 7 32 bit. This will be a full install, not an upgrade, on one drive particition C:. How does the new OS install work?Do I need to un-install Vista first or does Win 7 installer take care of that?What happens to my existing installed programs? Does Win 7 know they exist and add them to Start/All Programs, the Desktop, and Explore?

OK, if this is your first time, then you should go slow.Basically:- if you are not upgrading, then it's a full install and all your programs have to be installed from scratch - including settings for all programs (email accounts etc)- if you do a full install, you have your Windows 7 and that's it- you should take care of finding all the appropriate drivers for your mainboard first (vendor's page, especially those for network and chipset, that is if you are using simple hard drives, no RAID etc) - those are most important, because if for some reason W7 doesn't recognize your NIC, you are stuck- in the installer, you have to take care of deleting the whole partition to install a system on a clean partition (means deleting everything) - take good care to save all sensitive data- how does it work - put the DVD in, set the machine to boot from the optical drive (either in BIOS, or via F8 on the ASUS boards just after you turn on the computer) - it will boot straight from the DVD (maybe it even works automatically)Hope it helps.

Currently using Vista 32 bit. I want to install Win 7 32 bit. This will be a full install, not an upgrade, on one drive particition C:. How does the new OS install work?Do I need to un-install Vista first or does Win 7 installer take care of that?What happens to my existing installed programs? Does Win 7 know they exist and add them to Start/All Programs, the Desktop, and Explore?
Why not go with the 64bit version?

Thanks Word Not Allowed.Good point McCrash. Guess I need to check and see if my system will run the 64 bit version.