Sign in to follow this  
Guest danowat

Are these files save to delete? MASSIVE files in FS2002 folder

Guest danowat

Hi,I just looked on my FS hard drive and notice that I only had 4GB left on a 60GB hard drive.I thought that I could not have used that much space, so I did a little search around, and found 18GB's of ,what look like, useless files.These files are in the main FS2002 folder have names like, 75,86,3A,4C, they are all a little over 1GB in size and have no file extenstion.Are they safe to delete?, if so what on earth are they, and where did they come from?.ThanksDan.

Never seen them on my machine which has been running FS2002 since a week or two after release (and never been reinstalled...).That convinces me that they are either generated by an addon I don't have (possible, though I have a lot of them :-lol) or they are some sort of cache or coredumps from FS crashes (or caches that should be deleted when FS terminates but aren't cleaned up in crash situations).Best thing to do is move them elsewhere (out of the FS path), test FS and see what happens.If there are no problems remove them.

Guest danowat

Hi,Thanks for the reply, well I deleted them, and have no ill effects YET :).ThanksDan.

Dan.. I have them too... somewhere I had the idea that they come from fs skyworld... that beautiful clouds program... but i maybe completely mistaken... have you ever installed this ? b rdgs Dick

I've never had them either, maybe Chris from FSW might be able to enlighten us.Adam Nardone

Guest danowat

Hi,Yes I have FSW, but I don't believe that they come from FSW, although I could be wrong.I think they are possibly dumps from crashes I have had, I had a few problems last week with a dodgy scenery file, which took a long time and a lot of crashes to figure out what BGL files were causing the problem, I dont recall the files before then.Anyway I have reclaimed 20GB of space by deleting these files :)ThanksDan.

if you go into "properties" and look at the dates these files were created..does that match the period that you had your scenery trouble/crashes ?b rdgs Dick

Guest danowat

Hi,Yeah, they seem to be created around the same time as my crashes, it must be what caused these files.Dan

Guest RobA

Dan, Had the same problem myself earlier with some Alaskan Bush sceneries. The adf files were the culprit. Everytime I booted up FS one or two of these files were written at 1-1.4 GB each! The simm also showed it was rebuilding the scenery database on startup. Didn't have to lose the scenery but did have to toss the afd files is all. No permanent damgae was done... phewww.Rob

I've seen bad AFD files do this. Happened to me all the time before ADCAD was released since I was always fiddling with them. Ah those were some days...

I had exactly the same thing a while ago, and after archiving them, with no effect on FS2002, I deleted them and freed up about 12Gb of space !Alastair

Guest danowat

Hi,Well Rob, I was having trouble with some alaska scenery, although I don't think is was just AFD files I was having problems with, It will teach me not to install a load of scenery at once :).So are these files dumps from FS when I can't compile the scenery library?.Dan.

Guest sgreenwood

Hi Dan,You can track track disk access in real time with a freeware utility called Filemon, available at:http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtmlThis should show you what application is creating the files. Be sure to configure the Filter to log Writes, and filtering for part of the path to fs2002 will help limit the volume of output created.There is a Registry monitor utility available as well. With these tools you can learn quite a bit about what's going on with your system. Very interesting.Good luck.Stevewww.fs-traveler.com