Sign in to follow this  
SpiritFlyer

Nhancer and tweaks for FS9

Hi,I did a search without yielding the information I am looking for. I put thousands of hours and just about every addon possible in FS9, but changed computers and have enjoyed FSX for quite a while. The reason I am writing here is to ask for your help so I can help someone else. Today I am going over to a simmers house to help him get set up in FS9. Does FPS Limiter or Nhancer work in FS9 and if so, what are the recommended settings? How about setting Affinity mask or any other tweaks? I am sure this post is redundant but I hope that someone can answer. Thank you.

You might be a good person to ask as I still do not have an answer to this. Why would a person put up with the much poorer performance of FSX when FS2004 runs so good on new modern computers? What so special about FSX to you over FS2004? Thanks jerrycwo4

The FPS limiter does work in FS9. I use it so I won't have to worry about overheating my laptop. But in FS9 you'll do better locking FPS at 30 (depending on your friend's computer, it can be a lot more), the image quality and smoothness is better. Nhancer works also, the other ones who answered have already sent you to the settings. Affinity mask... FS9 is a single-core program (unlike FSX), but you can assign a core for FS9 and another one for the rest of processes (in the case of an HT or dual-core). In my experience, I've seen only results in XP; in Vista and 7 I see no difference (maybe these 2 OS handle better multiple cores). But if you insist, there is an affinity tool published here in the forums (FS2004 Affinity Tool by Behcet H. Sefkatlioglu), you may use it.Best regards from Colombia,Luis Miguel

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

You might be a good person to ask as I still do not have an answer to this. Why would a person put up with the much poorer performance of FSX when FS2004 runs so good on new modern computers? What so special about FSX to you over FS2004? Thanks jerrycwo4
You're not the only one struggling with that one Jerry. Whenever I have a look in the FSX forum it always seems full of different posts claiming to find ways to make FSX run smoothly. And they inevitably get nasty. I see much less of that on the FS9 forum.However, I see it this way. Each to his own and I refuse to fall out with someone just because we differ in our choice of sims.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Or you could ask, why would anyone run FS2004 when the hardware is here today to run FSX? Not everyone gets bad performance in FSX Jerry. I know your question was addressed to Stephen, but since I am able to enjoy FSX in all of its glory, probably like you enjoy FS9 in all of its glory, I enjoy it more because personally I like the higher definition ground textures from GEX for the US and Europe. Plus the fact that ORBX is getting ready to release the PNW package and PMDG is working on the new 737NG that will probably just be for FSX only.Granted there are a few addon sceneries for FS9 that I miss and maybe one or two planes, but overall I get a more enjoyable experience from FSX. If could get FSX resolution GEX textures, the ability to display 7cm textures, and a little more autogen in FS9 I would have stayed with it, but for me comparing the look of the two side by side there's no comparison. Plus the fact that some developers are not going to release more things for FS9 and some like ORBX don't even develope for FS9.But like Gavin said in the post above me, "However, I see it this way. Each to his own and I refuse to fall out with someone just because we differ in our choice of sims." That's the way I feel and I never understand why the debates regading the two sims. Some prefer FS9 and some prefer FSX. Cant please everyone all of the time, so its great that we have two options.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thank you all for your help. I spent the day helping him getting his rig running a wee bit better maybe. Volunteering to help someone else is a great deal more stressful than tweaking my own machine, because if anything goes amiss I won't upset anyone else but myself, and Lord knows I have done that often enough.

Jerry and Gavin,I really enjoyed the earlier MSFS versions especially fs9. I don't think I am much of a fan of FSX, because it was quite underwhelming to say the least. But with the readily available advanced modifications and fixes, as well as the living world created by ORBX, I fly with seamless performance in something more like what FS13 or FS14 might have been like out the door. They say pictures are worth a thousand words so here is 3,000 words worth in the screenshot forum.It is great that we have choices in our flight simulation hobby with fantastic new advances in both hardware and software that was only dreamed about until now. No need to hang on and no need to let go. There is enough for what was, for what is, and for what will be in flight simulation systems for everyone, whatever floats their boats.Once again, Thank you for your advice. I may be seeking more of it again soon when we take his setup a bit further.Stephen :(

Jerry and Gavin,I really enjoyed the earlier MSFS versions especially fs9. I don't think I am much of a fan of FSX, because it was quite underwhelming to say the least. But with the readily available advanced modifications and fixes, as well as the living world created by ORBX, I fly with seamless performance in something more like what FS13 or FS14 might have been like out the door. They say pictures are worth a thousand words so here is 3,000 words worth in the screenshot forum.
DITTO. I to felt FSX was underwhelming, that's why I still fly FS9. But I finally broke down a purchased the ORBX dvd for FSX, I have'nt been able to get back to FS9 since. It is truely amazing what they done to a whole continent.Bill M

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

I do not like getting into these FS9/FSX conversations BUT I am a hardcore FS9 user and I have to agree that ORBX (I got it on sale around the holidays) is awesome. Almost like being there. I hate to say it made me like FSX finally because really it was ORBX that I liked (and those FTX airports are amazing).....it is another world.Now back to FS9 :( nothing beats it for flying the big iron!

Guest fs2004josh
:( make sure you select "720p" than sit back and enjoy!

Guest fs2004josh
Hard to enjoy with that terrible music. :(
:( I'm sorry! :(

Jerry,I am converting to FSX slowly but surely. Why I like it is 1. Vivid color compared to FS9 and 2. Only a fraction of the pauses/jerking in FSX that FS9 has. Re: 1 - FS9 seems bleak and bland whereas FSX is brighter and the color is much improved. Don't know why.Re: 2 - I cannot get rid of stutters in FS9, so I live with them. The flight is comparatively smooth in FSX. The only thing I miss by going FSX is the FSNavigator program, but I now run Plan-G on a laptop and it takes its place quite nicely.

Guest fs2004josh

No offense, but the vivid/bright colors in FSX are way over-rated and too unrealistic looking for my taste. The ONLY way that I will switch to FSX, is when the developers of REX drops full support for FS9, but even that, I might even switch to x-plane. Ever since REX came out for FS9, it was never the same, plus, they are coming out with sp2 plus more additions to REX2004!