Sign in to follow this  
Byrna

Fancon 2010: Is AVSIM considering holding one this year?

Firstly, I wanted to thank, once again, the wonderful spirit and support that AVSIM has given the flightsim community. I have been wondering if AVSIM is considering trying to hold their convention (fancon) this year at all. It was cancelled last year and with the situation being what it is in the job market and MS stopping its development of FS (at least for now, pending more news in the future under a different "formula"), I wondered if the fancon idea will continue. It think that the state of the hobby is definitely alive and well and many companies, well-known companies, like PMDG, Aerosoft and developers like the venerable and amazing Peter Dawson (FSUIPC developer), are continuing actively to come out with new products and updates.I think the flightsim community truly consists of a special bunch of people. Flightsimming for me, is a relatively "new" hobby compared to the seasoned veterans on this website (I started in 2003 but have not done much since the summer of 2007 now, but I ordered FSX - finally - and will be going heads on, full speed - back into it!). I think meeting fellow developers, and fellow hobbyists will be amazing.Of course, AVSIM may not have any definite or even tentative answers about the fancon yet, but when you do, I would love to know and hope that you will hold one this year. Can (John) AgbabaMontreal, Canada

Firstly, I wanted to thank, once again, the wonderful spirit and support that AVSIM has given the flightsim community. I have been wondering if AVSIM is considering trying to hold their convention (fancon) this year at all. It was cancelled last year and with the situation being what it is in the job market and MS stopping its development of FS (at least for now, pending more news in the future under a different "formula"), I wondered if the fancon idea will continue. It think that the state of the hobby is definitely alive and well and many companies, well-known companies, like PMDG, Aerosoft and developers like the venerable and amazing Peter Dawson (FSUIPC developer), are continuing actively to come out with new products and updates.I think the flightsim community truly consists of a special bunch of people. Flightsimming for me, is a relatively "new" hobby compared to the seasoned veterans on this website (I started in 2003 but have not done much since the summer of 2007 now, but I ordered FSX - finally - and will be going heads on, full speed - back into it!). I think meeting fellow developers, and fellow hobbyists will be amazing.Of course, AVSIM may not have any definite or even tentative answers about the fancon yet, but when you do, I would love to know and hope that you will hold one this year. Can (John) AgbabaMontreal, Canada
I too would like to see it continued. I dropped simming in 07 or 08 as well and I'm now diving back into it.

Yes Tom et al, why not consider a meeting this Fall? You could replace the Microsoft presence with computer makers like Falcon Northwest, Dell, and others, as well as home cockpit companies like Flight Deck Solutions - doing amazing work and producing exceptinal products to enhance our simulator experience. Pepper that with immersive 'How To' lectures, and I'll bet you can draw a crowd of enthusiasts anxious to attend and see what they have been missing over the past 2 years.Regards,Alex ChristoffBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Yes Tom et al, why not consider a meeting this Fall? You could replace the Microsoft presence with computer makers like Falcon Northwest, Dell, and others, as well as home cockpit companies like Flight Deck Solutions - doing amazing work and producing exceptinal products to enhance our simulator experience. Pepper that with immersive 'How To' lectures, and I'll bet you can draw a crowd of enthusiasts anxious to attend and see what they have been missing over the past 2 years.Regards,Alex ChristoffBaltimore, MD
Yes, and also, there are other payware makers - the "obvious giants" like PMDG, Aerosoft, Level-D perhaps (?) and so many others. And also, there is also X-PLANE, which I have heard has a very fascinating FDE concept and its support is growing after Microsoft basically put their tail between their legs and gave up.John

John-Sounds good to me. I would advocate a pilot-friendly approach - lectures and courses we could all apply to our flying vs endless discussions about the FSX scenery SDK, etc.Alex ChristoffBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

John-Sounds good to me. I would advocate a pilot-friendly approach - lectures and courses we could all apply to our flying vs endless discussions about the FSX scenery SDK, etc.Alex ChristoffBaltimore, MD
Alex,That's a great idea: Pilot-centered (and ATC-centered too for those amazing ATC volunteers on VATSIM, IVAO etc...). As Jim Carrey loved to say in his movie "The Mask" - "Aaallllrrrighhhtttty Then!!!!" and hopefully, we'll be flying with joy and hold one this year and saying "Someboddy STOP ME!" ... :( John

Guest dsnyder

I am dissapointed that I am not seeing anything else on this front.Is a US FanCon even being considered for this year?If not officially, is there any interest in a grass roots gathering somewhere? EAA AirVenture 2010??Dave SnyderWaukesha, WI

The lack of any official response to this does make me wonder if there'll ever be another Avsim conference. I was never able to attend but, if that was the case, it would be quite sad.

The Avsim " Saturday Night Social " was recently held in Atlanta, to see another FanCon there needs to be something akin to a revival of enthusiasm for the hobby itself, statistically there are some 60 percent fewer " Active " users of the platform than there were 4 years ago and that is reflected across the field of interest, Avsim has tested the waters for the last couple of years and had to cancel plans and reservations prior to the cut-off date due to lack of response from both the retailers and simming public.I am sure that as a group we would love to see things pick up again , reviving Avsim’s FanCon may well require the stimulus afforded by the release of Flight Live to swell the ranks of active simmers sufficiently to levels that can support holding a convention somewhere.