Sign in to follow this  
FLEX1978

MD11 Bugs

With the announcement of all the upcoming projects I understand that PMDG have there hands full. I don't expect PMDG to announce any further updates on the MD11 as this may lead to a stream of posts requesting updates/release dates etc. Below I have listed some of the problems I have found with the aircraft, of course they are very very minor considering the complexity of the machine however since they are problems that seem to be relatively easy to fix is their any reason why PMDG would not want to release a unannounced fix? Have the main developers for the MD11 gone there seperate ways? 62K thrust option on P&W returns to 60K when passing 80 knotsAircraft never runs out of fuel when left on the ground with APU running (I left the sim running for 4 days by accident with only 5000 pounds in the tankEngine High vibration - Master caution flashes on and off constantly like the strobe lights in a cheesy 80's discoHydraulic temperature never drops below 20c even when unpressurized and sitting on the ground in temps of -40cNo pogo stickCheers

Rob Prest

Engine High vibration - Master caution flashes on and off constantly like the strobe lights in a cheesy 80's disco
I had this just yesterday. I tought it was something related to my PC... Well, seems it's a bug!

Those aren't the only bugs BTW. I just don't think the MD-11 was popular enough for PMDG to consider fixing the plane anymore than the one SP. It's a shame because it really was the closest thing to a bug-free release I've ever seen.The other bugs I know of are the EMV typo, which should be EVM. I have no idea in the world how this was missed. The speed problem when dropping below a certain GW or fuel amount. I asked a real world MD-11 pilot about it and he said that it was wrong. I just think it would require tweaking the envelope or something and PMDG don't want to mess with it. Also the fuel freeze rate is too fast IMO.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Hi!The only bug I discovered the other day, was a mosquito on the front flightdeck window :( , when I was making a pushbackin Sao Paulo Brazil the other day.Not that it

I agree and would like to see some fixes to some bugs I see as well. However, I don't think because PMDG decided not to model certain things can be considered a bug. The issues I'd like to see fixed or adjusted if possible are the left and right cirles turns, brakes deciding to not work and way the AP decides to dive well below glide slope on occasion. As for fluid temps, I would like to see them modeled but rather see issues fixed than new ideas implemented.Oh, and yes, I agree fuel freeze does seem a little fast.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Guest sixfourty
...I just don't think the MD-11 was popular enough for PMDG to consider fixing the plane anymore than the one SP.
Really, it wasnt a big seller? The MD-11 is such a joy to fly, the flightdeck is very intuitive, so much better than other Boeing planes IMO

Really, it wasnt a big seller? The MD-11 is such a joy to fly, the flightdeck is very intuitive, so much better than other Boeing planes IMO
I think PMDG has pretty much said it wasn't a big seller.Regardless, it's pretty obvious given the lack of support and the lack of customers asking for support/fixes. Just look at this forum compared to the 747 forum. The 747 has been around for a long time! I'm not talking about the activity generated by the 747-8 visual model either. Prior to that being announced, the 747 forum was busy busy, while this one was pretty slow.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

I think PMDG has pretty much said it wasn't a big seller.Regardless, it's pretty obvious given the lack of support and the lack of customers asking for support/fixes. Just look at this forum compared to the 747 forum. The 747 has been around for a long time! I'm not talking about the activity generated by the 747-8 visual model either. Prior to that being announced, the 747 forum was busy busy, while this one was pretty slow.
Could you explain the speed problem at low GW? Thanks

Rob Prest

Could you explain the speed problem at low GW? Thanks
It's actually when the fuel drops below a certain level. I don't recall the numbers or details, but the plane isn't able to maintain as fast a speed when the wing tip fuel drops below 60% IIRC. The problem is, the speed drop isn't linear, it's dramatic. If you do enough short hauls with the right amount of reserve, you'll find the speed drops almost 40 knots within a second and this results in an overspeed condition if you're too close to the Mmo. You shouldn't have to stay 40 knots below the Mmo/Vmo to avoid this problem. The plane should slowly correct the speed and the FMS should compensate, which is doesn't. See here:http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...25&start=25

- Chris

For me, the PMDG MD-11 is one of the all time highlights in flight simulation. This plane is a real gem, I never expected to see one simulated, and now that we have one, it's more than a pity if the developers would really decide to just let it go.As a previous poster said, this masterpiece is pretty close to be bug free, so I think resolving the most ugly remaining bugs would elevate the product so that it could look down on almost all others.It's a shame that the MD-11 is disrespected by a majority of simmers. It's a completely different concept, and the FMS is almost incomparable to any other aircraft model. Instead of honoring the MD-11, people stick to Boeing and the close similarities among them - if you know a 757, you do a 767, and there's no problem understanding a 737 or a 777. But try this with your knowledge of such a Boeing, or maybe even an A320 series plane, and the MD-11. They're worlds apart.A pity... But I still don't give up the hope that PMDG mercily corrects the nastiest MD-11 bugs one day after having finished the 737...Andreas

Well, as you can see, not one rep from PMDG has popped in to answer any of these questions, nor do they when other issues come up either. The MD-11 must be the redheaded stepchild they regret making. Really unfortunate.

- Chris

Those aren't the only bugs BTW. I just don't think the MD-11 was popular enough for PMDG to consider fixing the plane anymore than the one SP. It's a shame because it really was the closest thing to a bug-free release I've ever seen.The other bugs I know of are the EMV typo, which should be EVM. I have no idea in the world how this was missed. The speed problem when dropping below a certain GW or fuel amount. I asked a real world MD-11 pilot about it and he said that it was wrong. I just think it would require tweaking the envelope or something and PMDG don't want to mess with it. Also the fuel freeze rate is too fast IMO.
That isn't true Chris - we've intended to do a final SP for it for a while now, it's just a matter of getting the time to do it and getting certain team members to commit to doing it. I will ask about it again probably after the NGX release. It isn't like any of this stuff makes the plane unflyable, but I would like to see it fixed myself too.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thank you a lot for your rather official statement, Ryan. The MD-11 is just too good to simply let her go. I sim since FS II, and the PMDG MD-11 is certainly a star product. FS has come a long way, and even after all the decades only a handfull of really top notch planes were ever developed for FS.Andreas

That isn't true Chris - we've intended to do a final SP for it for a while now, it's just a matter of getting the time to do it and getting certain team members to commit to doing it. I will ask about it again probably after the NGX release. It isn't like any of this stuff makes the plane unflyable, but I would like to see it fixed myself too.
Thanks Ryan for this bit of info. The only reason I was under this assumption is that one of the key developers who handles the MD-11 had stated that no updates were planned. This left all if us with the impression that the plane was a done deal and any remaining bugs were ours to contend with. It was pretty clear IMO, and I'd look for the post, but I have no time to search since I don't know which thread it was in.I also realize the plane isn't unflyable, and I have said many times that the MD-11 is the best RTM plane you guys have made. That is why the few problems that did exist bothered me so much. It is so close to perfect right now, that one more SP could make it the best pay ware release since I started with FS.I just hope you can address the speed issues some of us have mentioned, correct the EVM typo, thrust washout on takeoff, fuel freeze timing, and any other lingering problems that have been found by experienced users.Please don't ignore this wonderful plane you guys developed and the users who love flying it. Try and give us some updates about whether an update will be coming and if we need to create a list of bugs so you have them on your end.

- Chris