Sign in to follow this  
golfbravo

FS9 CTD on startup

Hey everyone,Thanks for everyone's advice earlier on about my performance issue; I took the CPU into Best Buy and they had a look at it, and told me that my resolution setting were off. Having fixed it, I took my computer home, and started up FS9, and it worked perfectly - for a while. After about a week or so, the same performance problem came up (with the FPS slowing every few minutes whenever I shifted my view away from the 2D cockpit). In any event, I decided to try an uninstall/reinstall of FS9. After this happened, the splash screen for FS9 showed up, then sat for a few minutes, then the entire program shut down - without an error message of any kind. I went to Microsoft's support center, and found that they had a page dedicated to a problem just like this. I went through all their recommended steps, but I'm still left looking at a blank screen (the sim still crashes on startup). At this point, I'm left wondering if disk 4 is bad, or if something else might be at play here.If anyone else has had a similar issue and found something else to be the problem (other than MS's diagnosis), I would definitely appreciate the help. Thanks very much!George

And another snag I just ran into: I figured I'd call MS themselves, or at least their support center, but apparently the only support they're offering now is for FSX. Yowza.

Hey everyone,Thanks for everyone's advice earlier on about my performance issue; I took the CPU into Best Buy and they had a look at it, and told me that my resolution setting were off. Having fixed it, I took my computer home, and started up FS9, and it worked perfectly - for a while. After about a week or so, the same performance problem came up (with the FPS slowing every few minutes whenever I shifted my view away from the 2D cockpit). In any event, I decided to try an uninstall/reinstall of FS9. After this happened, the splash screen for FS9 showed up, then sat for a few minutes, then the entire program shut down - without an error message of any kind. I went to Microsoft's support center, and found that they had a page dedicated to a problem just like this. I went through all their recommended steps, but I'm still left looking at a blank screen (the sim still crashes on startup). At this point, I'm left wondering if disk 4 is bad, or if something else might be at play here.If anyone else has had a similar issue and found something else to be the problem (other than MS's diagnosis), I would definitely appreciate the help. Thanks very much!George
You mentioned that you did an un-install and re-install.Possibly you did not remove all of the files and folders whcih the un-install routine leaves behind. The only items the uninstall routine removes are those which were actually installed initially. It does not remove many items which were created by FS when you ran the program.Thus if the problem is rooted in one of those files, it will still be there.This file may be helpful in getting a really good un-install and a good re-install.http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...amp;DLID=123907Good luck.

You mentioned that you did an un-install and re-install.Possibly you did not remove all of the files and folders whcih the un-install routine leaves behind. The only items the uninstall routine removes are those which were actually installed initially. It does not remove many items which were created by FS when you ran the program.Thus if the problem is rooted in one of those files, it will still be there.This file may be helpful in getting a really good un-install and a good re-install.http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...amp;DLID=123907Good luck.
Totally off topic here, but i just read your uninstall reinstall guide, and many other post of yours and have to ask, how long have you been simming for David??o the original poster, i really hope you can get your situation sorted out, fs can be a real headache sometimes.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

To David,Thanks very much; I will give it a try (at this point, I'm open for anything and getting somewhat desperate).To flyinpilot,Thanks again. It's so strange that I've been using FS9 for years (since it was first released), and on this computer, I've had it installed for 2 years or so, without a problem. I've never had a reason to uninstall/reinstall before, but I figured that might help the performance issue. Instead, what I'm left with is a non-responsive sim. FS9 has always been so reliable, and it's just frustrating that the only interactive support offered by MS is for FSX (understandable, since that is their current product). I wouldn't mind switching to FSX, except I don't think my computer is powerful enough to run it smoothly. The only other thing I can possibly entertain is that the disk is bad, and I'll have to buy a new copy of FS9. I'll try a full uninstall/reinstall (ie backup allllll...llll of my addons over the years) and see if that works. Thanks again for your help guys.George

To David,Thanks very much; I will give it a try (at this point, I'm open for anything and getting somewhat desperate).To flyinpilot,Thanks again. It's so strange that I've been using FS9 for years (since it was first released), and on this computer, I've had it installed for 2 years or so, without a problem. I've never had a reason to uninstall/reinstall before, but I figured that might help the performance issue. Instead, what I'm left with is a non-responsive sim. FS9 has always been so reliable, and it's just frustrating that the only interactive support offered by MS is for FSX (understandable, since that is their current product). I wouldn't mind switching to FSX, except I don't think my computer is powerful enough to run it smoothly. The only other thing I can possibly entertain is that the disk is bad, and I'll have to buy a new copy of FS9. I'll try a full uninstall/reinstall (ie backup allllll...llll of my addons over the years) and see if that works. Thanks again for your help guys.George
George, have you used a no cd patch at some point? I ask because I have done the same about 3 weeks ago and it really buggered my fs9, I think I had the wrong version installed and really, and I mean really messed with my system(fs9), I had to do a complete uninstall and reinstall as you did(man was that ever a headache and a chore), but now I will never Ever use a no cd patch agian, I would rather just throw my disc in than deal with that again. Just a thought.I really hope you can get it sorted out.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Totally off topic here, but i just read your uninstall reinstall guide, and many other post of yours and have to ask, how long have you been simming for David??
Well I started back in the days when "scenery" was nothing more than some green "stick" buildings - have no idea what version of FS that might have been.Just could not get the hang of it and did not try it again until one of my kids bought me FS2002.To make a long story somewhat shorter - I was then "hooked".In case you have not run across my "Tips and Tricks for FS2004" series (25 issues in all) - that is just a small way of trying to repay all the help I received at forums such as this when I was a real "newbie".That being said, I still find I can learn something new about FS almost every day.As I often say, it is not a hobby - it is an addiction.

Well I started back in the days when "scenery" was nothing more than some green "stick" buildings - have no idea what version of FS that might have been.Just could not get the hang of it and did not try it again until one of my kids bought me FS2002.To make a long story somewhat shorter - I was then "hooked".In case you have not run across my "Tips and Tricks for FS2004" series (25 issues in all) - that is just a small way of trying to repay all the help I received at forums such as this when I was a real "newbie".That being said, I still find I can learn something new about FS almost every day.As I often say, it is not a hobby - it is an addiction.
That is awesome, You have seemed to gain quite a bit of knowledge with FS, Ill definetly be checking your tips and tricks series.Thanks

George, have you used a no cd patch at some point? I ask because I have done the same about 3 weeks ago and it really buggered my fs9, I think I had the wrong version installed and really, and I mean really messed with my system(fs9), I had to do a complete uninstall and reinstall as you did(man was that ever a headache and a chore), but now I will never Ever use a no cd patch agian, I would rather just throw my disc in than deal with that again. Just a thought.I really hope you can get it sorted out.
Nah, never used the no cd patch (until a few days ago, I never even knew there was such a patch). The only patch I had used was the 9.1 upgrade.

I have an update (a good one, fortunately):As of today, FS9 is up and running again. To Opa, thank you so much for your tips; I followed them and deleted everything, started with a fresh installation and FS9 runs again! It's great to be reacquainted with an 'old' friend. As it turned out, my former video card might have been defective, for it managed to melt the supports for the fan (which wasn't working), and therefore was rendered useless. I replaced the card with a Radeon 4350HD, and installed a new power supply (the old one gave out as well - talk about raining and pouring!). To everyone else, thanks again for all the support; it was definitely appreciated!On that note, however, I still have one small gripe, and it might be an easy fix (at least I hope so!): running FS, everything runs smoothly, except for the graphics themselves. I'm plagued with 'jaggies'. I turned on anti-aliasing, but the result is still the same. With my former card, the resolution was smooth. Is there something I've missed? Or is the Radeon that I purchased inferior to the GeForce 9400GT that I replaced? Both are 512MB DDR2 cards, but the GeForce required a 350W power supply (my computer had 300W), and the Radeon requires 300W.I know it seems like I can't catch a break, but I'm hoping that this is something minor that I can fix myself (and easily). Thanks for all your help, everyone!George

Guest belga1

Hello,

except for the graphics themselves. I'm plagued with 'jaggies'. I turned on anti-aliasing, but the result is still the same
Turned antialiasing in the game settings or in the Catalyst Control Center ?Do not turn it in the game !I use a ATI Radeon 4850 512MB and all is perfect (all the graphic filters enabled via the Catalyst Control Center)The ATI settings are:AA 8x (Box)Anisotropic 4xCatalyst AI AdvancedMipmap level High qualityFrequence Synchronisation ActivatedAA adapted QualityTriple bufferingDriver 2D 6.14.10 6983Driver 3D 6.14.10 0685In FS2004 Mipmap on 4Resolution 1024 x 768 32 BitsRefresh Freq of CRT 72 HZRegards.bye.gifGus.

Hello,Turned antialiasing in the game settings or in the Catalyst Control Center ?
I turned on antialiasing in the game itself (I did that with the last card, and it worked)
Do not turn it in the game !
Oh my. I guess that was my first error.
The ATI settings are:AA 8x (Box)Anisotropic 4xCatalyst AI AdvancedMipmap level High qualityFrequence Synchronisation ActivatedAA adapted QualityTriple bufferingDriver 2D 6.14.10 6983Driver 3D 6.14.10 0685In FS2004 Mipmap on 4Resolution 1024 x 768 32 BitsRefresh Freq of CRT 72 HZRegards.bye.gifGus.
Gus, thank you very much, and I will try that approach, although I must admit that I don't understand much of what you're talking about, other than the mipmap thingie. lol please understand that I have very basic knowledge of computers! I have a rather large monitor, however, and my resolution is set to 1680 x 1050 x 32 - otherwise, everything looks 'stretched' on the screen.

Alrighty, running the risk of seeming like a thread hijacker, Gus' recommendations worked beautifully, and I've got a running simulator with smooth graphics!!! I couldn't be happier! Now for the daunting task of re-installing the payware scenery (and payware/freeware traffic) I've accumulated over the years (insert huge groan here, since I've lost my registration codes for a lot of them!). Cheers, everyone!George