Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Deploying spoilers

I can't seem to get the J41 spoilers to deploy. I have armed them, but they do not deploy when I press the button on my joystick that I have assigned to "Spoilers (arm/retract"). This works perfectly on the Flight1 Citation Mustang, but do I have to do something extra on the J41?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Full names signatures requested here.The JS41 spoilers are not used in flight, and will not deploy to act as speed brakes. Their only use is for RTO and landing with wheels on the ground.

Dan Downs KCRP

I activate J41 spoilers with "F2" key once nose wheel touches the runway upon landing.I always use "F1" to bring engines out of reverse and retract spoilers.Pushing the throttles forward does not alway retract the spoilers.

I would just like to add you can't manually deploy them in air or on theground, auto only as explained above.

I don't know. That is like a rejected takeoff before rolling. Why would you do that?

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest BlueRidgeDx
Yes, but shouldn't they be activated if I engage reverse propellor pitch when stationary at the runway threshold prior to take off (assuming that I have armed them first)?
No, it doesn't work that way. Your spoilers aren't actually armed in the situation you propose. The spoiler system has two modes: Retract Mode, and Deploy Mode. With the exception of the landing roll phase, any time you're in the air or on the ground, the spoilers are held in the stowed position by hydraulic pressure and by a mechanical lock pin. The Deploy Mode is only available during the landing roll (or rejected takeoff) phase of flight AFTER the system has been armed.In order to arm the spoilers, the SPOILERS switch must be placed to ARM, and the right POWER lever must be advanced to the takeoff range. Once armed, the spoilers will not deploy until you get a WOW indication on at least one MLG, and both POWER levers are in the ground range.So as you can see, sitting at the end of the runway and pulling the POWER levers into REV will not result in spoiler deployment. You have set takeoff power before the system will even arm itself.

That makes sense. So I have reviewed the AOM again and found that a spoiler "check" isn't in the book, they are not on the MEL and landing distance increases 8% if they don't work. However, I don't understand why they don't deploy if 1) they are armed 2) all three squat switches on closed and 3) you exercise the props and go into reverse. I just ran a test and found that I could not deploy them and I'm not sure why. Hmm.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest BlueRidgeDx

I've noticed the same, Dan.Perhaps it's looking for an air/ground transition to take place in order to satisfy the "landing roll" definition. Though, I have to believe that the spoilers would be available during an RTO, so that can't be realistic...

Yeah, I'm confused.

Dan Downs KCRP

Gents-The spoilers have two modes: RETRACT and DEPLOY.As is described In 8.9 Page 18: They can only operate in DEPLOY mode during landing roll.Thus, in must meet the other arming criterea listed there- but you also must leave the ground...There is no ground test for the spoilers.NOTE: I just deleted a bunch of posts from this thread because the posters did not sign their names. I should remove this whole thread since the original poster did not comply with the forum requirements... please read and comply.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest federalfsx
I can't seem to get the J41 spoilers to deploy. I have armed them, but they do not deploy when I press the button on my joystick that I have assigned to "Spoilers (arm/retract"). This works perfectly on the Flight1 Citation Mustang, but do I have to do something extra on the J41?
You cant retract them manually, read so in the manual.

NOTE: I just deleted a bunch of posts from this thread because the posters did not sign their names. I should remove this whole thread since the original poster did not comply with the forum requirements... please read and comply.
Robert,I have been told that I do not need to sign my name at the end of each post if my username is my real name! Since that is the case, that is the reason why I do not do it. If I have been given incorrect information, then please let me know.Thank you for letting me know about the spoilers. I will conduct a test flight, and check them out.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Chris, I've just learned that Robert expects a signature or banner with name regardless of username. Make one up that automatically attaches to all your posts.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thank you, Dan. You can expect to see a signature at the end of all my future posts.Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guys Please listen to Robert. Please sign with your full real names. He mentioned it above and then below his post there are two nameless posts.