Sign in to follow this  
Guest FlyingBits

"Deep Blue" The Quiet Giant FSX Box - Part 1

Guest FlyingBits

Some pix and info on the lattest FSX/scenery creation rig I just put together and modded for quiet but cool air cooling (specs in sig) Part 1:Had posted in a different thread concerning a friend of mine who owns a Computer cooling store who had repeatedly tried to convince me to go the water cooling route.With todays latest heatpipe tech I decided to go with air and built what would become arguably as quiet or quieter than almost any water cooled solution while still allowing for high-end overclocking while avoiding all the fuss of water cooling. What follows is the result of that build.May recieve the following upgrades:WD 1T Black Sata 6 HD (just released in Japan) http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=792Fermi - depending on how it handles FSXIntel Gulftown six core 980/970 - also depending on reviewsOn with the Pix:Cooler Master ATCS 840 - Its ...Big! Just had to stealth the DVD drive...P1020039.JPGP1020038.JPGSlow silent fans yet good cooling thanks to one 240mm intake in front, two 240mm exhaust fans on top, one 120mm intake on the bottom, one 140mm exhaust in the rear, one 120mm exhaust in the rearand the PSU has its own sealed intake for its 140mm fan and exhaust out the rear as normal. Oh, and yeah the Nochtuas have all been dyed Black.P1020023.JPGFive hardrives kept cool, memory and chipset too - 1 Nochtua NF-P14 @ 800 rpm and 2 Noctua NF-S12 @ 600 rpmShot taken before the GPU Heatsink/fan was replaced with the AcceleroP1000867.JPGRear, before the mods - That 120mm grill restricts airflow as well a creates noise from static pressure and disturbed air.Also notice all the open gaps around allowances made for water cooling...P1000741.JPGNice clean hole, enlarged with a dremel to handle a 140mm fan with same old 120mm fan holes from before, courtesy of the Noctua NF-P14 (@700rpm)The water cooling ports have all been cleaned up with new Aluminum sheet stock.P1000902.JPGCustom air baffles made out of more Aluminum sheet to re-direct airflow up thru the rear part of the case as well as to cut down on any noise within direct ear shot from the CPU fans.P10008%38%30.JPGUnderside, closes in on the underside of the DVD player on the right and going out of veiw:P1000884.JPGSome sound deadening added to squelch the Aluminum from resonatingP1000957.JPGPart 2 to follow....

Ooooh......Ahhhhh! Don't forget to post some performance shots in game ;)How much did that all cost?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest WarpAir

Thanks for the info , i also favour air cooling.Better to keep that case on a table and off the ground though, cause dust builds up more quickly inside pc if its on the ground.Are you using any fan controller, or are your fans all connected to mobo. I count 8 fans or more, there got to be fan controller some where in there. If so which fan controller, and how many watts per channel does it have.What i'd really like to know is, who helps you make this custom aluminium parts, i searched high and low for similar help with custom aluminuim but found no takers.And by the way, Why the heck did you have to dye the noctua fans they look great in shades of brown. i got 6 Np-14 140mm , 2 standard 140mm case fans, and 2 NP12. 10 fans and two fan controllers. Prefer fan controller to mobo fan controll.I am using lian li b71 case, it came with some sound proofing, but i added even more, case with 10 fans is more quiet than my old case with just 2 fans and no sound proofing.Descent fan controller with temp sensors is a must for any self respecting air cooled build. Its nice to open the window and see temps go down a bit on fan controller sensor read out. And get this, my case is cooler with cover closed than open. Dint know that till could see temps from fan controller.Air cooled any day for me, and seems air cooling tech is getting much better still, liquid and all that other stuff is just to much hasle for me, and usually looks a bit messy too. Air cooled is neat and you can put the pc in your living room.

Guest FlyingBits
Thanks for the info , i also favour air cooling.Better to keep that case on a table and off the ground though, cause dust builds up more quickly inside pc if its on the ground.Are you using any fan controller, or are your fans all connected to mobo. I count 8 fans or more, there got to be fan controller some where in there. If so which fan controller, and how many watts per channel does it have.What i'd really like to know is, who helps you make this custom aluminium parts, i searched high and low for similar help with custom aluminuim but found no takers.And by the way, Why the heck did you have to dye the noctua fans they look great in shades of brown. i got 6 Np-14 140mm , 2 standard 140mm case fans, and 2 NP12. 10 fans and two fan controllers. Prefer fan controller to mobo fan controll.I am using lian li b71 case, it came with some sound proofing, but i added even more, case with 10 fans is more quiet than my old case with just 2 fans and no sound proofing.Descent fan controller with temp sensors is a must for any self respecting air cooled build. Its nice to open the window and see temps go down a bit on fan controller sensor read out. And get this, my case is cooler with cover closed than open. Dint know that till could see temps from fan controller.Air cooled any day for me, and seems air cooling tech is getting much better still, liquid and all that other stuff is just to much hasle for me, and usually looks a bit messy too. Air cooled is neat and you can put the pc in your living room.
Not worried about the floor, been running many PCs on it for years, this one is filtered like the others, so I just keep my eye on that every few months.No Fan controlers needed, save one pot I use on one of the CPU fans that the BIOS wouldnt bring down far enough, the rest use resistors, some drive off of the 5v rail, some are that slow at stock speeds and the two CPU fans simply run off the nice BIOS features were you can choose the two ranges of temps and two percentages of full power to use when those kick in if needed.I hate the skin toned colors of those Nochtua fans, dyeing is better than painting.Made all the parts myself, just score with a blade, mount it in a break and bend or snap as needed, trying to saw is just a waist and will bend the stock all up. The DVD stealthing is from the existing case.Will get around to Part 2 next week, the details Cooler Mods, the GPU, and DVD then Part 3 will be BIOS settings and bench marks, at some point I'll post parts and prices.Like that Lian box! Quality stuff!

Wow Paul great setup!!!Are you running the 0604 BIOS??Jeremy

________________________________________________________________________________

i9 10800K | 16GB RAM | RTX 3080 | Windows 10 | 

Saitek x-45 | Bravo Throttle | Alpha Yoke | CH Pedals | Logitech Radio Panel | SmoothTrack | AAO

Guest FlyingBits
Wow Paul great setup!!!Are you running the 0604 BIOS??Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,Thanks!No, there is a newer BIOS, 0702, but 0604 is fine.