Sign in to follow this  
leeflet

ASA - is it as tough on performance as FSX detailed clouds?

I am considering getting ASA with REX2. I have an old 3 GHz pentium (3 GB RAM, Windows XP) with an NVIDIA 512MB 7600GT card (AGP bus) - using the approriate tweaks I get decent enough frame rates (usually no worse than 12 or so, often in the 30's). The biggest hit on my system is when I try to get fancy with the built-in FSX weather graphics - detailed clouds just slow things right down, so I stick with simple. My question is this - if the native FSX textures hit my system that hard, should I expect the same kind of performance hits with ASA + REX2? In other words, is ASA + REX a better performance package as well as just a better graphics package than the default FSX textures?Thanks...

Signature.jpg

Hi,ASA will use whatever textures you have in FS and so it will be up to the REX textures that you chose to use.

Hi,ASA will use whatever textures you have in FS and so it will be up to the REX textures that you chose to use.
Thanks - but 2 Questions:!) Will ASA not improve the performance of the default textures?2) More importantly, will ASA + REX (or Xgraphics) be better on performance (frame rates) than default "detailed" FSX textures alone?

Signature.jpg

Hi,1. Do you mean FPS performance or the way that the textures are modeled on your screen? Using ASA will not increase anthing FPS related. It will keep things the sme for most users and may offer a drop for old computers. Complex weather situations will lead to a drop in FPS. ASA can improve the look by a more realistic rendering of cloud layers and such.2. Again, it is going to depend on the textures that you use. XG and REX both contain textures that are the same size as default FSX textures. Those will provide equal performance in like conditions.

...Those will provide equal performance in like conditions.
Thanks - sorry about my obtuse wording of a simple question. Sounds like if I don't like the decreased FPS performance using detailled clouds in the default FSX weather, ASA plus REX will prove no faster (sigh).

Signature.jpg