Sign in to follow this  
spilok

New FS2004 GPS....whew...Learning Curve!

I don't know about you, but I'm havin' a little difficulty with the new FS2004 GPS. The learning curve is significant (at least I think so), and the multi-layers of pages is somewhat confusing. I'm sure all you real pilots out there are somewhat comfortable with it. I printed out the GPS lesson (41 pages), and every time I get to sit down and read, I try to absorb a few more pages. Unfortunately, its seems it's more understandable with the Sim active while experimenting.Perhaps the easiest thing to do would be to create a flight plan as opposed to a "direct to" flight. I don't know....I'm just a little "green" at this point, and I'm searching for a "fast-lane" approach. How are all of you doing? I'd like to know. Stan

I have been searching for a review of the Garmin I read several months ago but can't find it. The reviewer complained that is was unintuitive and that many pilots end up using only the basics because of that.There are software training programs (that alone cost more than fs2004!) just for practicing on the unit.It is a great unit-but I find it hard to use also. The UPS units on the other hand I can use without ever looking at the directions-but they were just bought out by Garmin so....So yes-a steep learning curve!http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

Guest aca_dia

There is a free 400/500 series simulator at the Garmin web page. Maybe is because I have several hundred hours of RW IFR using a 430, but I find these units pretty easy to use. I have not used the MS2004 version, but if it is an acurate sim of the real unit it should only take a few hours to get familiar with it.

Hi, Stan. My luck is that just about a month or so ago, I bought the RealityXP Garmin and had a heck of a time learning it. It took a while, about ten days of on and off usage till I grasped the basics.But now I find myself pretty much acquainted with COF Garmin and it is getting better. The more you work with it, the more you will love it. So hang in there :)The one thing I miss in the COF Garmin is that you can't make your complete flight plan using it; you can make a Direct-to alright, but for a multi-leg route, you will have to plan it in COF flight planner which then will import it into the Garmin.

Guest JeanLuc_

I guess you shouldn't be disapointed when the Reality XP GNS is out for FS2004 then! especially with the newly introduced v1.3 features just released!

yes its tough but do-ablei found the best way is just to do it, i flew an ifr route from kpwk to klit last night for my va and it was really sweet! i called and activated the lit trans. for ILS 4L and then the a/p will fly it with the gps then when on final i switched from gps to nav then nav to appr settings on the a/p and man slick as all get out, contacted tower and lined up , took off a/p and hand landed it, wow, takes some doing but very nice, the coolest thing is that it also has the missed approach with the hold so if you screw it up or have to go around it will do it for yakeep working on it, its def. worth the time to figure it outciao!Brian S

Ciao!

Can someone shorten my learning curve?:) I made a GPS approach into KBWI this evening and could not find the active runway ILS frequency and course. Are they available from the GPS and if so, how do you get to them? Thank you in advance.BobP :)

The info is all available there. The best way is to read the excellent and concise chapter about the GPS in COF learning centre. It guides quickly through all the features.

Living in the UK, I don't have FS2004 as yet, and don't know how the Garmin varies from the GNS530 available from RealityXP etc., but you might consider getting the GNS530 Trainer and manual from the real Garmin site, as both will give you a good understanding of the units.The 500-series Trainer is available here:http://www.garmin.com/products/gns530/The GNS530 manual is available here:http://www.garmin.com/support/userManual.j...ct=010-00182-11The GPS500 manual is available here:http://www.garmin.com/support/userManual.j...ct=010-00176-01Alastair