Sign in to follow this  
thea330flyer

How do you approach an airport?

According to you, I'm not a...what?Actually, you can deny vectors and altitudes. That is, if you as PIC think following such command may put you and your aircraft in danger.
I would just like to mention something on this, Absolutely you can refuse a certain instruction, however ATC can issue an instruction due to traffic avoidance etc. Yiu can refuse vectors or altitudes but atc has a much wider view of what is going on in the area, so unless it is an instruction that the aircraft is not capable of performing(ie: ut of performance limits) then there really is no need to refuse.I hear it many times aircraft asking for certain runways, or request lower etc. and get refused(this is real world, in busy airports most of the time) So this leads to tell me that unless it is going to be a very unsafe instruction regarding your carft(which ATC would hopefully never issue, but we are all humans) then within controlled airspace ATC pretty much has the last word(again as you stated as long as safety is not jeopardized)

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

I have to say I completely agree with your last statement Gerry.

I did not know that the default ATC can give you transitions? Do I understansd you correctly, ATC will give you a transition. ThanksGerry
Yes, that is what most simmers miss. FS ATC will give you a transition. And will give you the correct altitude to cross that transition.Basically you want to file an IFR flightplan and if there is no transition MAKE one! :( No more vectors for me! FS ATC vectors are terrible!An example can be seen in my Lajes, Azores (TER) to Washington Intl, Baltimore (BWI) video
Where I added a JANNS transition .....being the IAF (Initial Approach Fix) for Rwy33L (note FS ATC will also ask you to descend to exactly the right altitude for the transition)In Europe most of the transitions for the STAR's are there already. When FS ATC gets you to your IAF at the correct alt .....it feels good. :(

In all my years of simming,I never knew that the default ATC can do this, Thanks for posting this information. Now i must go try this.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Yes, that is what most simmers miss. FS ATC will give you a transition. And will give you the correct altitude to cross that transition.Basically you want to file an IFR flightplan and if there is no transition MAKE one! :( No more vectors for me! FS ATC vectors are terrible!An example can be seen in my Lajes, Azores (TER) to Washington Intl, Baltimore (BWI) video
Where I added a JANNS transition .....being the IAF (Initial Approach Fix) for Rwy33L (note FS ATC will also ask you to descend to exactly the right altitude for the transition)In Europe most of the transitions for the STAR's are there already. When FS ATC gets you to your IAF at the correct alt .....it feels good. :(
You know i have done your method once when i was approaching barcelona, the STARS there were not good and what i did was that i completely ignored FS ATC vectors and made a good touchdown to the active runway, so heres the thing, i listen for altitude transittion but sometimes not headings. then again, headings are convenient if the airport youre approaching has no STARS

You know i have done your method once when i was approaching barcelona, the STARS there were not good and what i did was that i completely ignored FS ATC vectors and made a good touchdown to the active runway, so heres the thing, i listen for altitude transittion but sometimes not headings. then again, headings are convenient if the airport youre approaching has no STARS
You obviously have not done my method as I am not given vectors. :(