Sign in to follow this  
Guest WorkingStiff

How do I Tweak the 30.82 Drivers?

Guest WorkingStiff

I've been using the 24.42 nVidia drivers but based on a few reviews I'd like to try the 30.82 driver set. I want to tweak the drivers with RivaTuner but when I extract the files from the executable, I get files such as "nvdisp_4.dl_" rather than "nvdisp_4.dll" as I did when I extracted the 29.42 drivers.Of course RivaTuner cannot recognize the file extension .dl_ and the only way I can figure out to get the complete file name is to install the drivers, but then they can't be tweak while the drivers are in use.Can someone tell me how to do this? I'm using WinRAR to extract the files. Thanks.

Hi WorkingStiff,I guess you have problems when patching the drivers for negativ MipMapLOD or AF? That's actually no problem. Also I have realized, that in any Detonator drivers which I have downloaded recently the .dll extensions have changed into dl_ I thought this is an WinXP issue, as I only have relaized it after upgrading from WinMe to XP Pro.The only thing you now have to do in case Riva Tuner does not automatically recognize the file, is to type in the driver's name manually. Just type into the file name section (above the files of type section) either "nvdisp_4.dl_" or "nvdisp_4.dl" (I can't remeber which one is correct). But it will do no harm if you type in the wrong nam. If Riva Tuner replies "patch script was not executed sucessfully" you have to repeat the patching procedure with the other writing.After the first sucessfull patching (e.g. AF) the driver is renamed into "nvdisp_4.dll", so with the second patching (MipMapLOD) you can proceed as usual. BTW there is an excellent Riva Tuner tweaking guide, written by Andrew Tingle. You can find it here http://fsgateway.com/rivatunerbeginnerstweakingguide/RegardsWolfgang

StiffYou haven't said what video hardware you use but I can only recommend, for the heck of it, actually trying the 30.82s without tweaking them! Of all the Nvidia drivers I have used (and I've tried them all, and wasted endless hours doing so) they have proved to be the most stable, the most adaptable for 3D, etc. etc. With no tweaks. Mind you, I use GeForce2 video cards still ... but get great definition. Just a thought, perhaps, before you tweak them out of shape!Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest WorkingStiff

Wolfgang,Thanks for the reply....I never thought of what you suggested but I'll try your solution.I'm not sure if its a Win XP issue since I can extract the 29.42 and earlier drivers with the full file extensions. I think its related to the installer used by nVidia since the entire file extension is not created until the files are actually installed on the computer.Thanks again, I actually thought this thread had scrolled off into the archives by now. :-)

Guest WorkingStiff

Mark,I'm using a GeForce 3 with 64 MB video card. Since its such an old card now I've stayed with the 24.42 drivers for quite a while since they were recommended as the best. I recently tried the 44.03 as part of a Windows XP Pro update and they were great visually but they introduced some serious sound problems in FS2002. It took me a few days to realize that it was the video drivers that were causing my sound to stutter...as soon as I reinstalled the 29.42 drivers the problem went away.Now after seeing a flurry of posts recommending the 30.82s I'd like to try them but I must have a small amount of negative LOD to get the crisp visuals I like. Since I'm a 767 PIC addict I still have FS2002 on my system and it just doesn't look good without a few small tweaks.I don't intend to tweak them out of shape, just a touch of negative LOD and some AF filtering. I prefer to have it done at the system level rather than controlled by the application. Its a pity the earlier drivers do not have the control module that comes with the 40.xx series.