Sign in to follow this  
woodhick

Duke and FPS loss

Long winded disclaimer: I read something about this effect in a post not related to a specific FPS loss. Of course now I can neither rememberize (sic) the posting or the author. The author of the post I am referring to mentioned observing a loss of a few FPS when moving his cursor from his second monitor to the main monitor on which the Duke's panel was displayed.I too noted this effect after your mentioning it yesterday. The loss was about 3-5 FPS. Odd.

I just tested this senerio and noticed absolutely no change in the frame rate.
While on the subject, I love the Duke but on my I920 (OC 3.8) even using the lowest of the options in the control panel it is hard on the frame rates especially with weather. Using the LK Kodiak, I get a solid 25 FPS locked and smooth but the Duke gets the stutters and FPS hit is like 5-10 FPS with any clouds. Tried FPS_Limiter but that had no real effect on my system (Windows 7). Any ideas? Am I missing something?Thanks, Sam

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Guest UlfB
While on the subject, I love the Duke but on my I920 (OC 3.8) even using the lowest of the options in the control panel it is hard on the frame rates especially with weather. Using the LK Kodiak, I get a solid 25 FPS locked and smooth but the Duke gets the stutters and FPS hit is like 5-10 FPS with any clouds. Tried FPS_Limiter but that had no real effect on my system (Windows 7). Any ideas? Am I missing something?Thanks, Sam
What graphics card do you use?

I have the 8800 GTS (640)Sam

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/

I'm using a 9800 GTX + (182.50 driver). Dell XPS 730 3.0 Gb CPU, 4Gb RAM. I keep the FR's locked at 30 and get that using RC, ASA, FEX, etc.

I'm using a 9800 GTX + (182.50 driver). Dell XPS 730 3.0 Gb CPU, 4Gb RAM. I keep the FR's locked at 30 and get that using RC, ASA, FEX, etc.
Yep...that is why I am asking the question. Seems like it should run fine on my system. I have tried re-install...FPS locked and unlocked very low to high locked settings and even unlimited. I keep thinking that I am just missing something here because I know most people are not having this problem at all even with older hardware. I get lots of stutters and the frame rates are very unstable.Sam

Sam

Have you gone through Nicks guide on how to set up your system and FSX?
Yes...I do use Nick's tweaks, defragged often and have even turned down the contrast and the TV in the living room and bed room as well as installed a more effecient coffee pot LOL! No help? It is a bit of a puzzle since other aircraft work pretty good. I know that Real Air builds good stuff?? I only use one 24 inch monitor so that should not be a real factor.I keep thinking it has something to do with the Duh?? factor but just can't figure this one out.

Sam

Have you gone through Nicks guide on how to set up your system and FSX?
I should add that I am using Rex textures and ASA networked for weather and have even tured down the textures in Rex to very lowest settings with no improvement. I run the normal add ons like Gex, UTX ect.

Sam

I've found that you can push any system to the edge by a combination of complex aircraft,complex scenery, weather, traffic etcIt is easy to add a bit of this and a bit of that and all is well, until you add weather in your example..Time to cut back a bit to keep it all within what your system can comfortably handle!In my case, I cut back on traffic (air, boats) and set freeway traffic to zero. Also water at 1X.And bingo, my fps were stable and respectable again!

Bert

I've found that you can push any system to the edge by a combination of complex aircraft,complex scenery, weather, traffic etcIt is easy to add a bit of this and a bit of that and all is well, until you add weather in your example..Time to cut back a bit to keep it all within what your system can comfortably handle!In my case, I cut back on traffic (air, boats) and set freeway traffic to zero. Also water at 1X.And bingo, my fps were stable and respectable again!
I think you may be right. I run pretty agressive settings for Scenery (Very Dense) and Autogen (Dense) but with water as you suggested and Ultimate Traffic 50% settings. It may be that the Real Air guys did too good of a job!! I would have thought that the with Kodiak and G1000 running smooth would mean that my system would handle the Duke much better though.

Sam

I would have thought that the with Kodiak and G1000 running smooth would mean that my system would handle the Duke much better though.
I find that the Kodiak is very frame-rate friendly... mind you, the level of panel detail is nowhere near the Duke's.

Bert

FWIW, I run my autogen and scenery at dense, vehicles at low, default AI traffic at no more than 50% (GA or airline), and special effects (water, waves, etc) off entirely.I could run autogen and scenery at very dense when away from major cities but really get hammered when passing over any large city.Bert, you still own that old Tee-shirt?

I find that the Kodiak is very frame-rate friendly... mind you, the level of panel detail is nowhere near the Duke's.
Well as I said in a post above....it is I think the Duh factor. Cranked back both scenery complex and autogen a notch and as you said....Bingo!! looking much better. Now I can tune this sweet Duke to the lower settings and it should be good to go. I am always amazed at myself as well as others, we just give to much credit to computer horse power and forget to measure the weight of the passengers and baggage and end up in a smoking hole 500 yards from the end of the runway. Thanks Bert for making me think!!....Duh!!

Sam