Sign in to follow this  
woodhick

Duke and FPS loss

That was me.... and this mouse cursor problem is not because of the Duke, it's a Windows/Hardware issue I believe. It happens to me with every plane, default and payware. I've tried different mouses (The one I use it the Logitech G5 laser), but I used it with my old Logitech optical - same problem. As long as I move the cursor off screen all is ok.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks Bert for making me think!!....Duh!!
Happy it worked for you! The Duke is one lovely plane to fly... :(

Bert

That was me.... and this mouse cursor problem is not because of the Duke, it's a Windows/Hardware issue I believe. It happens to me with every plane, default and payware. I've tried different mouses (The one I use it the Logitech G5 laser), but I used it with my old Logitech optical - same problem. As long as I move the cursor off screen all is ok.
I'm using a G-9 Laser. IMHO, the very slight FR drop is nowhere near serious enough to warrant the term "issue" (remember when we used to actually say {gasp!!} problem?), but rather just a slight oddity.shivers9--I'd be curious to find out what happens if you turn down those scenery, effects, etc settings and try the Duke at its' higher settings. Maybe you can rob Peter to pay Paul.

Bert, you still own that old Tee-shirt?
Hi Dan, do you mean my favorite aviation golf shirt?I wear it proudly about 9 months a year :(

Bert

I'm using a G-9 Laser. IMHO, the very slight FR drop is nowhere near serious enough to warrant the term "issue" (remember when we used to actually say {gasp!!} problem?), but rather just a slight oddity.shivers9--I'd be curious to find out what happens if you turn down those scenery, effects, etc settings and try the Duke at its' higher settings. Maybe you can rob Peter to pay Paul.
Scenery Complexity: Very Dense AutoGen is at Dense...Turned the REX Textures back up to medium settings and it is locked at 20 smooth flying with overcast and over water and trees around KPNS. The setting for Autogen just moved up one notch makes the FPS jump all over the place and get the jerks big time. The other settings seem to not cause problems when kicked up a notch. I think from what I am seeing...at least in my case it was the one setting causing the poblem. I just never hit the right combo in testing before.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Scenery Complexity: Very Dense AutoGen is at Dense...Turned the REX Textures back up to medium settings and it is locked at 20 smooth flying with overcast and over water and trees around KPNS. The setting for Autogen just moved up one notch makes the FPS jump all over the place and get the jerks big time. The other settings seem to not cause problems when kicked up a notch. I think from what I am seeing...at least in my case it was the one setting causing the poblem. I just never hit the right combo in testing before.
Hi Shivers9, I'd try going back to dense on the scenery complexity and leave the autogen at dense. Still think you can get a few more appearance points for the Duke itself that way. But if you're happy, I'm happy.Bert: Wicked cool.

Guest hmstiger
I should add that I am using Rex textures and ASA networked for weather and have even tured down the textures in Rex to very lowest settings with no improvement. I run the normal add ons like Gex, UTX ect.
After market clouds are killlers, esp. if your settings are for dense coverage. I have issues with all my planes in the clag.

Guest WarpAir

I JUST STARTED flying duke, and the biggest fsx tweak i have done in while is to limit trees to 500 in fsx.cfg.This did wonders to flight from norway to sweden over dense forest.FSX trees are major fps hugg, infact i suggesta ll should manually limit fsx trees in the cfg file.with trees autogen at dense i was getting major stutters over forestwith 500 limit set on trees all was pretty much smoother sailing.many dont know that trees cuase them problem cause they dont notice they flying over forest.before blaming fps loss on anything try same plane but diffrerent flight, africa is always a good place to tests stuff out in fsx, cause no big cities and no huge forests, best fsx performance is in afirca, and remote areas generally.put a cap on those trees

I also have the same issue with frame drops of 5fps with cursor in frame and fsx. Only noticed this today. I go from 25fps parked at the gates to 19-20 when i more my cursor into the frame (from my second monitor). Strange...

Mike Normandeau

Montreal, Canada

I hear what you're saying but sometimes I just disable TIR to get into the small spaces or to get the small clickspots. I've found TIR to be a pain when trying to shoot approaches IMC

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Here is a tip for all aircraft, not just the Duke. It works for me, but it might not on your system. When running FSX, minimise then press CTR ALT DEL to call up the task manager, then processes, then right click on FSX.exe and set priority to one notch up. Gets me easily 7-10 fps more and much smoother. And it goes without saying that right from the start of running FSX I was never convinced by the insane levels of buffer pools some people recommended. I always ran this at around 800,000, not the absurd tens of millions that some were running...but I believe this is covered (endlessly) on another thread.Best Wishes,Rob - RealAir

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Hi Robert,Love The Duke!!! May I ask how the Turbine version is coming along? also,Can you give any hint on what's next in The RealAir pipeline? :( Iknow I'm push'in it!!!

Hi Robert,Love The Duke!!! May I ask how the Turbine version is coming along? also,Can you give any hint on what's next in The RealAir pipeline? :( Iknow I'm push'in it!!!
Hi Badaboom,Turbine version is progressing but we are not hurrying towards release as there is plenty to do yet, but it will happen. We do have another project in the pipeline but it's a bit too early to announce anything yet. We don't like to build up expectations until we are absolutely sure our designs are progressing well towards the finish line, but thanks for your enthusiasm which is appreciated.Rob - RealAir

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Hey Robert,Thanks very much for your clear and honest answer! I can't ask for more than that!!Cheers!!!