Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

Something completely different: Planet Earth

People,I'm planning to buy the BBC's stunning documentary Planet Earth, but I have a problem. There seem to be at least two versions around, one from 2007 and one from 2009. The more recent one is also much more expensive, but it seems to contain one DVD disc more. Can anybody enlighten me as to what the difference between these two versions is?

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Guest kidaamnesiac

Benjamin,Planet Earth is one of, if not THE, best documentary I ever saw and I own all the 'Life of...', Blue Planet, Wild World and soon Life series. Buying either version you can't go wrong.I own the version with the extra disc. There are 3 (if I remember correctly) extra documentaries on there about Climate Change and the future of the planet as well as how they filmed sharks at one location - all very interesting.I don't know whether this is standard on both sets (sorry not to be so much help) but I also get a 'Diary' at the close of each episode that is 10 minutes or so about how they filmed something in that episode (like the Bactrian Camels, or the Snow Leopards.)If you want the series alone, just get the cheaper one. If you want those extras, spend the extra money. The quality of the pictures is amazing.Andrew James

That'll be a rather difficult choice then. Thanks for helping me out! I'll think about what to get.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Guest zacharace
Benjamin,Planet Earth is one of, if not THE, best documentary I ever saw and I own all the 'Life of...', Blue Planet, Wild World and soon Life series. Buying either version you can't go wrong.Andrew James
Seconded. Simply amazing; I was left drooling after the first five minutes. I think it originally came out in 2007, but yeah, as Andrew said, BBC added a few extras for a "new" 09 version.Happy watching!

The 'diary' was part of the original broadcast, at least here in the UK. I have Planet Earth, Life and Nature's Great Events on blu ray, and they are all simply gobsmacking. (in fact, they all have diaries at the end of each ep - seems to be the current BBC 'way of doing things'). Sir David Attenborough is officially a National Treasure.

People,...There seem to be at least two versions around, one from 2007 and one from 2009. The more recent one is also much more expensive, ....
I bought the Blue-Ray version which was quite expensive but if you have a large, HDTV with good home theatre sound, then you're in for stunning experience. Terry.

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.